Saddle sore solutions?

Old July 29th 18, 09:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default Saddle sore solutions?

John B. Slocomb wrote:

It doesn't appear to be the same. Partially,
I suppose, because you aren't just sitting on
a bicycle seat as you are on a chair.
Which is probably why they call it a saddle.

If there is a scale with the chair at one
endpoint and the shoes at the other, I suppose
the saddle will fall somewhere in between the
chairs and the shoes.

Besides, as for shoes, if it was just the comfy
aspect of it, I'd say a pretty small inventory
would do there as well! Warm boots in the
winter, rubber boots when it rains, sport shoes
for sports, and Crocs for everything else. See?
And the same for both sexes at that!

The size aspect of the shoes is much more
important than for saddles because you walk
with them.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old July 29th 18, 09:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

John B. Slocomb wrote:

I find it interesting that price and comfort
do not seem to be related.

Same with shoes.

Old July 29th 18, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 22:14:34 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. Slocomb wrote:

It doesn't appear to be the same. Partially,
I suppose, because you aren't just sitting on
a bicycle seat as you are on a chair.
Which is probably why they call it a saddle.

If there is a scale with the chair at one
endpoint and the shoes at the other, I suppose
the saddle will fall somewhere in between the
chairs and the shoes.

Besides, as for shoes, if it was just the comfy
aspect of it, I'd say a pretty small inventory
would do there as well! Warm boots in the
winter, rubber boots when it rains, sport shoes
for sports, and Crocs for everything else. See?
And the same for both sexes at that!

The size aspect of the shoes is much more
important than for saddles because you walk
with them.

Rationalize it any way you wish. Then go out for a 4 hour bike ride
and see whether you sing a different song when you return.
Old July 29th 18, 09:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

John B. Slocomb wrote:

Rationalize it any way you wish. Then go out
for a 4 hour bike ride

First, help me rationalize that?

Old July 29th 18, 09:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 22:28:25 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. Slocomb wrote:

Rationalize it any way you wish. Then go out
for a 4 hour bike ride

First, help me rationalize that?

Why, your theory, of course.
Old July 29th 18, 11:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doc O'Leary[_21_]

For your reference, records indicate that
Joerg wrote:

On Friday I talked to a woman who rides very little because the saddle
causes her pain after a short time.

Everyone else seems to have keyed in on getting a saddle that fits and/or
adjusting it properly so that it works well as a contact point. So
here’s my take on the issue as I’ve seen it with my non-rider friends:

A saddle is not a seat; it’s not there for plopping your fat ass on it
for a sit. If you want something to bear your weight, use your pedals.

--
"Also . . . I can kill you with my brain."
River Tam, Trash, Firefly

Old July 30th 18, 12:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Saturday, July 28, 2018 at 12:47:52 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
On Friday I talked to a woman who rides very little because the saddle
causes her pain after a short time. Most likely this is a combination of
factors, the hardness of usual road bike saddles plus the fact that road
bikes have no suspension whatsoever and hard tires.

MTB saddles are often a little cushier. Then there are thud-buster type
systems but that's more for hard MTB riding which she doesn't do. Maybe
there are similar systems for road bikes?

Are there recommendations what could be done without breaking the bank
and without switching to a slow beach cruiser?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

IIRC, you just have to stand up thru the 2nd day of your cycling career, and that is the price of entry.

"Maybe you guys need a refresher course"
-Chevy Chase, 'Fletch'

Old July 30th 18, 12:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Joerg wrote:

On Friday I talked to a woman who rides very little because the saddle
causes her pain after a short time.

Everyone else seems to have keyed in on getting a saddle that fits and/or
adjusting it properly so that it works well as a contact point. So
here’s my take on the issue as I’ve seen it with my non-rider friends:

A saddle is not a seat; it’s not there for plopping your fat ass on it
for a sit. If you want something to bear your weight, use your pedals.

With that said, shoes can be worse than saddles. I had crippling hot-foot today. Time to look for yet another set of insoles -- or maybe different shoes.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 30th 18, 06:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 29/07/18 22:09, John B. Slocomb wrote:

snip

I find it interesting that price and comfort do not seem to be
related. You couldn't stand a San Marco Rolls and I found that a low
end Velo 1205 saddle suited me perfectly.

Very true, the replacement to that was a 5 dollar Wallmart (equivalent)
special. Did about 3-4 years, was perfectly comfortable. Springs and
things to make it look good and everything!

I then discovered B17 Pro's, which although not cheap, last forever and
critically, fit *my* arse, which is all I want them to do :-)
Old July 30th 18, 08:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 28 Jul 2018 12:48:03 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

On Friday I talked to a woman who rides very little because the saddle
causes her pain after a short time. Most likely this is a combination of
factors, the hardness of usual road bike saddles plus the fact that road
bikes have no suspension whatsoever and hard tires.

I had a different way of looking at the problem. I didn't expect to
ever find the perfect saddle. When my butt became sore, I simply
switched to a different saddle (or different saddle position), and the
sore spot moved to another part of my anatomy. I could vary the
degree of discomfort, move the location of discomfort, but never got
rid of it completely. When my pelvis fit my ancient Brooks something
saddle (about 40 years ago), I came closest to a painless saddle.
However, as I grew older, I no longer fit the Brooks saddle, and had
to retire it.

I have a small collection of saddles obtained from garage sales, flea
markets, thrift shops, bargain bins at the LBS, and mail order
specials. What I prefer these days is a Selle Royal Freeway Moderate
Men's Xsenium Brown ICS (whatever that means):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Selle-Royal-Freeway-Moderate-Mens/dp/B002VGAWBI
which I picked up in a fit of retail therapy splurging. About $40 in
the LBS bargain bin about 10 years ago. I think I also liked the
brown color as I hoped it would be better than my other black saddles
and not scorch my butt after the bicycle had been in the sun for over
an hour.

I've never bothered to ask myself, what is different about this saddle
that is lacking in others? So, I measure the surface hardness with a
hardness gauge (durometer) like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/172240656843
However, there's a problem. For hard rubber, such as tires, the
penetrator is a Shore Type A. However, for softer material, such as
padded bicycle saddles, a Type OO penetrator is best as the Type A is
pointed and sharp enough to puncture the fake leather saddle.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/yaoAAOSw2D1ZgXh8/s-l1600.jpg
I only have a Shore A penetrator, so I need to be very careful.

Saddle hardness measurements so far in the contact area for my pelvis;
Durometer Saddle
25 Selle Royal Freeway etc.
33 Vetta
35 Nashbar Velo
38 WTB Rocket
55 Selle Italia "Genuine Gel"
93 Brooks Ideale 90 (about 40 years old)
Swell. My two best saddles are the hardest and the softest, so I
can't determine if hard or soft is best. If the Brooks saddle at 93
durometer works, a saddle made from concrete, glass, or rock hard
rubber would work as well.

It's 1AM. Time to give up before I fall asleep at the keyboard.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Saddle sore! eunie Unicycling 3 August 4th 08 06:34 PM
saddle sore - advice??? ilikebikes UK 13 March 11th 06 10:34 AM
odd saddle sore, sorta [email protected] General 8 May 17th 05 03:32 PM
saddle sore!!!! juggling_unicyclist_joe Unicycling 6 April 3rd 05 07:07 PM
Saddle sore Sb083459 General 4 April 9th 04 04:45 AM