Single Rear Gear with Double Chainring and shifters

Old August 10th 18, 02:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Single Rear Gear with Double Chainring and shifters

On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 5:16:34 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/9/2018 5:56 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 11:17:27 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 11:31:05 AM UTC-4, David Scheidt wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
:On 8/8/2018 11:06 PM, news18 wrote:
: On 09/08/18 06:57, Max Nosugar wrote:
: Its cool to have a 3 speed rear hub for fixie now
:
: er, is it still a fixte?
: Sounds like I my first ride with a 3 speed Sturney Archer hub.
:
: bTW, i've heard of dual speed fixties from the 40's/50's
: where they had one cog on one side for racing and another on
: the other side for riding home. You just swopped the wheel
: around to change gears.
:

:That was a standard race setup until the mid-1930s. Riders
:would flip to low gear before a climb. Go read about Tullio
:Campagnolo climbing the Croce d'Aune in 1927 for a great
:true story.

:In the 1940s, 50s 60s British riders used fork-mounted wheel
:carriers to tote their nice race wheels to the start. Clever
:little steel brackets held one wheel by the axle on each
:side of the fork. Couldn't find an image but Holdsworthy
:carried them and we sold them through the mid-1970s.

Soemthing like these:
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2015/...or-cyclocross/
?

--
sig 98

Neat! I also like the last post on that page: "Jan Heine, Editor, Bicycle Quarterly says:
November 6, 2015 at 12:16 am

Both wheels use 6-speed freewheels. For mud, fewer cogs means less clogging. I rarely use more than 3 or 4 gears in a ‘cross race anyhow."

So, according to some, Less really is better than more.

Cheers

For Jan, old is always better than new -- that's his business model. He also says his old Alan is just as good or better than the modern CX bikes, which is spoken like someone under 170lbs who doesn't have to do a lot of braking in mud. On a CX bike with cantis, you start braking at the top of the muddy hill and hope you have some braking left at the bottom. With discs, you can effectively brake later in the hill and go faster, worrying only about traction. Also, his Alan has bar-ends, which are great for auto-shifting when you dismount or hike-a-bike. I'm amazed hes not riding steel, which is by far the most magical substance on earth besides vinyl LPs.

-- Jay Beattie.

OK, good points all.
But to win at UCI Cyclocross nobody has to beat _you_ to the
finish, merely the other pros who show up at the start line.

http://alanbike.it/wp-content/upload...tamsnjider.jpg

https://www.rtvoost.nl/nieuws/defaul...-1#prettyPhoto[pp261778]/0/

Yes, and I rode a flat circuit race in a pack with a US pro rider who was on a three speed just to make a point -- until he got kicked out for riding a three speed. It was good he got kicked out, because he would have crushed me in the sprint.

BTW, Hennie's Cinelli 1R sucked, too. I had real difficulty keeping mine tight, and that seat post . . . pretty, but I didn't usually carry open-end wrenches, and it was so easy to mung the flats. An SR Laprade was a better bet for a quarter the price, and less mung-able (but not pretty). But I'm sure the historical re-enactors would totally dig those things, and that's fine. It's part of the business model for my LBS. http://www.burlingamebikes.com/the-classics/

-- Jay Beattie.

Old August 10th 18, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

AMuzi wrote:
[...]

We both eschew Cinelli 1/R, brother. I never understood the
appeal; it's so darned Rube Goldberg.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 10th 18, 06:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 9:22:39 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
Snipped

Yes, and I rode a flat circuit race in a pack with a US pro rider who was on a three speed just to make a point -- until he got kicked out for riding a three speed. It was good he got kicked out, because he would have crushed me in the sprint.

Snipped

Why'd he get kicked out for riding a 3 speed? Was it the handlebar?

Cheers
Old August 10th 18, 09:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 08/08/18 23:40, Max Nosugar wrote:
I totally agree with you mate, thanks very much! I think it would all depend on one's strength. I usually go uphill with a fixie coz I had no choice..lol

But I'm at a disadvantage during a race coz it eats alot of my energy during the bike leg and will not have enough left to run. But I love my set up so I'm sticking to it than a normal road bike. I just need to modify a few things.

So putting a front derailler is possible correct? So I can install double chainring.

Though it may cost a little in weight, there are 2 speed IGHs that
eliminate the need for extra chainrings, derailleurs and gear levers.

http://www.sturmey-archer.com/en/pro...etail/s2-black

--
JS

Old August 10th 18, 09:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 09/08/18 05:39, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/8/2018 5:48 AM, Max Nosugar wrote:
Hello Guys,

I have set up a time trial bike single gear its very fast 50t
chainring and 14t rear. However, the new ironman race route in my
location requires crossing a bridge with obviously inclined slope. I'm
used to going uphill but it burns significant amount of energy. Btw,
the new route has 3 loops which makes it a little disadvantage on my
part going up and down the bridge 6 times. Having experienced this, I
was thinking maybe putting a double chainring like 52t & 36t with
front shifters would decrease the tension for the climb? Do you think
this is possible? I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks!
Max

There's one path to do fixed gear change:
http://www.sturmey-archer.com/en/pro...ail/s3x-silver

Any other option is overly complex, unreliable, possibly unsafe or (as
with a two-sided wheel) ungainly.

If that's what you need, the SA S3X, or vintage ASC,* suits perfectly.

The 2 speed has "kick shift", so doesn't even need a gear lever!

Old August 10th 18, 03:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 10:31:06 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 9:22:39 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
Snipped

Yes, and I rode a flat circuit race in a pack with a US pro rider who was on a three speed just to make a point -- until he got kicked out for riding a three speed. It was good he got kicked out, because he would have crushed me in the sprint.

Snipped

Why'd he get kicked out for riding a 3 speed? Was it the handlebar?

I don't know and haven't looked at the rules. It could have been the ringy-bell. He probably just ****ed-off the district rep who was (and is) a character herself. It was at weekly race at the local racetrack with a giant pack. You can just sit in the middle and get pulled around. That was the point he was making.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 10th 18, 07:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

AMuzi wrote:
[...]

I really don't think that modern CX bikes are any better than they were during the time of Alan and Vitus. Bar ends are cheaper and when set up properly are just as good as brifters for this sort of riding.
Old August 10th 18, 07:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 10:31:06 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 9:22:39 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
Snipped

Yes, and I rode a flat circuit race in a pack with a US pro rider who was on a three speed just to make a point -- until he got kicked out for riding a three speed. It was good he got kicked out, because he would have crushed me in the sprint.

Snipped

Why'd he get kicked out for riding a 3 speed? Was it the handlebar?

Cheers

The new Colnago seat posts are really great. You have a finger adjust for angle and one lock allan bolt.
Old September 8th 18, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Hi Max,

Yes, getting the S3X will give you three fixed gears. There’s more lash (movement) at the pedal before engagement than with a straight fixed gear, but you can have a 60” and 70” gear to complement your 94” gear. It should be much easier to power over the bridge, and you may find that the 70” gear is more enjoyable for non-racing riding than the big one.
This would keep the same 50 ring and chain you currently have, along with a Sturmey-specific 14t cog. You would need to run the shifter cables somehow..

This hub allows for a freewheel to be mounted in place of the fixed cog, as well, so you could try out coasting on the same bike.

Other multi speed fixed options would take too much time in a race, especially if the course crosses that bridge 6 times!
I have a fixed gear with two rings and a double cog that I shift by dismounting, loosening the rear wheel, dropping the chain to the small ring/large cog, and retightening the wheel. Takes 15 seconds, which is nothing on a recreational ride, but everything in a race.

The other option mentioned here was the Sturmey S2 kickback hub. I have one and like it a lot. You would need a 20 tooth cog with your 50 ring to get a high gear in the mid 90s. The low would be 67” which could work. You’d need to lengthen your chain.

Philip
Santa Rosa, CA
Old September 8th 18, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 5:09:34 PM UTC+1, wrote:

The other option mentioned here was the Sturmey S2 kickback hub. I have one and like it a lot. You would need a 20 tooth cog with your 50 ring to get a high gear in the mid 90s. The low would be 67” which could work.. You’d need to lengthen your chain.

I'm not planning on taking up iron man racing, and am perfectly happy with the 126 gear ratios on my everyday, anyday bike, of which I use a double handful.

But this Sturmey S2 sounds like the business, and will no doubt be cheaper than the Schlumpf Drive, though it is possible the Schlumpf might be a superior solution to the OP's problem, and as a racer he might be impressed with its superior lack of avoirdupois: it doesn't weigh much.

The Schlumpf is a two-speed gearbox which replaces the bottom bracket; there are versions that require bottom bracket shell machining, and a version with its own discreet reaction arm that does not require bottom bracket shell alteration. The Schlumpf comes in a high-speed-drive version and a torque multiplying mountain-drive version, either of which might be suited in conjunction with a proper selection of chainwheel and sprocket, though the mountain-drive with it's instant 2.5 reduction (or multiplication, depending which range you will consider "normal") seems an instantly obvious choice. The Schlumpf Drive avoids the untidy problem of a chain tensioner and keeps the appearance of a fixie. It is operated by knocking a button on the crank end of the pedal with one's heel and for those with small feet there's a version which turns the whole crank into a hot button.

Many more variations and adaptations make the Schlumpf a universal gearbox:
http://www.schlumpf.ch/hp/schlumpf/f...riebe.engl.htm

Andre Jute
Mo gears is not nesarly betta gears!

Stronglight double to single Mark UK 12 May 3rd 06 02:30 PM
Double chainring FSA William O'Hara Techniques 11 December 13th 05 07:16 PM
Chainring grinding service (creation of chainring guards for cyclocross and single speed use) RobCam Techniques 13 August 10th 05 04:05 AM
what's single/double keyed mean? Sofa Unicycling 4 August 22nd 03 08:42 AM
Aligning chain on triple front chainring and 9 gear rear cluster. Peter Techniques 3 August 11th 03 01:41 PM