New Poll

Old October 30th 04, 09:31 PM
Nev Shea

h squared wrote in
:

i did like this magazine cover though-

http://economist.com/printedition/di...mages/20041030
/20041030issuecovUS400.jpg

That is wonderful. My favorite was one in the mid 90's when there was a lot
of merger and acquisition activity. The caption said "The trouble with
mergers", and it was a picture of 2 camels ****ing. It looked very awkward,
which was the point.

NS
Old October 30th 04, 11:38 PM
g-spot

h squared wrote:

h squared wrote:

heather, hates people---hates politics

i did like this magazine cover though-

http://economist.com/printedition/di...uecovUS400.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks.
Old October 30th 04, 11:45 PM
g-spot

h squared wrote:

Papai Digital wrote:

Some of the worst offenders are the newbie poster & barrister Philip
Moore from Texas and Robert Chung, who should know better.

i doubt robert posts more off topic political posts...

He initiates. That is a difference. It is impossible to respond to
nothing. Many, like myself, primarily only respond.
Old October 31st 04, 01:04 AM
Tim Lines

From: Tim Lines
Date: 10/30/2004 1:39 PM Eastern

I can top that:

http://www.amconmag.com/2004_11_08/cover1.html

That's brutal, but good.
Thanks Bill C

I thought so too. I think it's rougher on him that "the economist"
article is. One thing I appreciated about the "economist" article was
what it had to say about Guantanamo bay. Both Republicans and Democrats
were (and remain) pretty much in agreement on that issue, so it doesn't
get talked about. I like that the economist talked about it fairly.
They didn't go overboard and refer to "Gestapo tactics".

--

--------------------

Remove CLOTHES to reply
Old October 31st 04, 01:26 AM
Bob Schwartz

Danny Callen wrote:
Try living in a damn "battleground state"....If I see one more freakin
political ad I'm gonna shoot my TV like Elvis!!

Is that all you're dealing with? Endless political ads (most of
them negative... "My opponent has repeatedly voted against
motherhood and kittens. I will fight for motherhood and kittens")
on the tube?

I've gotten three calls today from live people, and then there
are the robo-calls. I get multiple lit drops/day. Tomorrow will
be the same, as will Monday and Tuesday. I don't want to
answer the phone anymore, or a knock on the door. It's nuts.

The trouble is the money. There is just too much goddamn money
in the election this time, and not enough places to spend it. It's
reached the point where neither side has to choose where to put
their resources. There are so few states still in play and so
much money for those few states that neither side has to hold
back.

They don't have to hold back on the people resources either
because so many of you guys that live in states that are not
in play are willing to travel or dedicate your phone banks to
the states that are.

Where I live you can make a campaign stop and get media play
in three states, all of them undecided. So Cheney was here
yesterday (for the second time) and Edwards was just up the road.
I wish they'd have switched, Edwards and Kerry are traveling with
warm up bands. Cheney doesn't have a band, he just screws up
traffic. Putz.

I can't wait until it's over.

Bob Schwartz

Old October 31st 04, 01:56 AM
Danny Callen

"TritonRider" wrote in message
Unfortunately the "civilians", once again like Vietnam are hiding

weapons,
ambushing patrols, and supporting their fighters. That's fine with me as

long
as the press gets it right. Leveling a village that is the site of

recurring
ambushes is a legitimate act of war when the women claim they don't know

where
the men are, the children throw grenades or wear explosive girdles, and

the old
people clean weapons and load clips.
The rest of the world uses human resources no matter age or gender as

support
troops and takes pride in it. US troops killing them is the same as them

taking
out one of our supply convoys, though the press will NEVER portray it this

way.
Bill C

Amen Bill!

Danny Callen

Old October 31st 04, 02:56 PM
Gary

Add me to that list. These politicos won't go to a REAL politics group
because they are afraid to mix it up there so they try to shovel their
stuff here expecting a less sophisticated audience. You insult us when
when pitch your drivel.

Papai Digital wrote:
How many in RBR, besides me, are sick of all these off-topic political
BS posts?

Some of the worst offenders are the newbie poster & barrister Philip
Moore from Texas and Robert Chung, who should know better.

-Ken

Old October 31st 04, 06:40 PM
Stewart Fleming

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm saying that "Amen" which is usually an
expression of joy, was used by you in confirming a ****ed up

Amen = "So be it".
Hallelujah = expression of joy.
Old October 31st 04, 06:40 PM
h squared

"Steven L. Sheffield" wrote:

Speaking of public radio (albeit PRI, not NPR), there was a fascinating
story about the Great Crash of 1929 on Marketplace today:

hey thanks!

it's interesting that i had always heard (not that i ever paid close
attention though) that the federal reserve was to partly to blame for
the continuation of the depression, but i recently learned that it was
required by law to protect the gold standard:

"In fact, the Federal Reserve faced conflicting demands to end the
depression and to protect the gold standard. The first required easier
credit, the second tighter credit. The gold standard handcuffed
governments around the world.

After Britain went off gold, for instance, the Federal Reserve raised
interest rates sharply to stem gold outflows. The discount rate went
from 1.5 to 3.5 percent, which, considering the condition of the
economy, was a huge increase. The best evidence that the gold standard
fostered the depression is that once countries abandoned it, their
economies usually began growing again. This happened in Germany,
Britain, and, after Roosevelt left gold in March and April 1933, the
United States.

Although self-defeating, the defense of gold was a product of law as
well as custom. The Federal Reserve had to ensure that every dollar of
paper money was backed by at least forty cents of gold. Once Congress
ended the obligation to exchange gold for currency, the Fed was largely
liberated from worrying about gold. This may have been the most
important part of the New Deal's economic program. The economy did
improve. Between 1933 and 1937, the unemployment rate dropped from 25 to
14 percent before a new recession pushed it back up to 19 percent in
1938. The 1937-38 recession is widely blamed on the Federal Reserve's
mistaken decision to raise bank reserve requirements in August 1936 and
early 1937. (Reserves are funds that banks keep as vault cash or as
deposits at the Federal Reserve.) "
http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/GreatDepression.html

heather

serious injury poll onewheeldave Unicycling 47 May 20th 05 02:11 AM
Interesting poll on driving and passing bicyclist on narrow road salmoneous General 22 September 14th 04 05:55 AM
Poll: KH seat VS viscount w/ reeder fluffinator007 Unicycling 6 January 7th 04 04:23 AM
Velo seat poll treepotato Unicycling 5 December 16th 03 01:23 PM
Poll for those with a 'fleet' 2 onewheeldave Unicycling 10 August 22nd 03 10:55 PM