New bike advice

Old May 8th 19, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

Default New bike advice

On 07/05/2019 23:34, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
True Blue wrote:
On Monday, May 6, 2019 at 7:23:15 PM UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
JWM wrote:
A female friend of mine wants a new bike

Her current one is from Halfords and is their "own brand" although I
can't quite remember the name off the top of my head. She'll want
something similar ie a hybrid with a female frame but the main
criteria are it needs to be a good deal lighter and have disk
brakes.

Not being familiar with bikes at all I wondered if anyone has any
recommendations for something suitable - budget is around £500.

My bike has a toothed belt rather than a chain and it has a hub gear
- not wanting the belt for my friend but a hub gear might be good?

Thanks

Tell her to grow up, get a job and buy a car.

"Mr Pounder".....hmmmm - is your nym a proclamation of your machismo
and virality ? Do you take a young lady to heaven and back by
relentlessly "pounding away" at her all night, stopping only
occasionally for more rhino horn?

I think we should be told.

I've heard them all, including your cheap silly crack.

Where is your chisel?
Old May 8th 19, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

JWM wrote:
[...]

It divorced him, even chisels have standards.

Old May 8th 19, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

JWM wrote:
[...]

Ungrammatical (and so strictly meaningless).

Learn the distinction between the comma and the semi-colon.

2/10.

Old May 9th 19, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 06/05/2019 18:53, JWM wrote:
A female friend of mine wants a new bike

Her current one is from Halfords and is their "own brand" although I
can't quite remember the name off the top of my head. She'll want
something similar ie a hybrid with a female frame but the main
criteria are it needs to be a good deal lighter and have disk
brakes.

If you're still here...

Avoid cable operated disk brakes as you would a dose of plague. V brakes
are much better.

(Halfords brand is Carrera).

Not being familiar with bikes at all I wondered if anyone has any
recommendations for something suitable - budget is around £500.

My bike has a toothed belt rather than a chain and it has a hub gear
- not wanting the belt for my friend but a hub gear might be good?

Thanks

Have you thought about an electric bike?
Old May 10th 19, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JWM

I'm still here - Carerra yes that's the Halfords brand

Yes, we're wanting hydraulic disk brakes not cable

Don't want an electric thanks - whole purpose of the thing is exercise. I had one a while back and it was great for my commute where home was all uphill from work!

Old May 10th 19, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 10/05/2019 10:29, JWM wrote:

Don't want an electric thanks - whole purpose of the thing is
exercise. I had one a while back and it was great for my commute
where home was all uphill from work!

I mentioned it because you said it was for a female friend and electric
seems to be a real boon for ladies riding with men. But it answers my
question that it is something you have considered.
Old May 11th 19, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Scion[_2_]

On Fri, 10 May 2019 02:29:54 -0700, JWM wrote:

I'm still here - Carerra yes that's the Halfords brand

Yes, we're wanting hydraulic disk brakes not cable

Don't want an electric thanks - whole purpose of the thing is exercise.
I had one a while back and it was great for my commute where home was
all uphill from work!

Have a look at the Trek DS2.

Front suspension (can be locked out for smooth surfaces), hydraulic disc
brakes, plenty of range in the gears, available with step-through frame,
on budget.

e.g. https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-ds-...s-hybrid-bike-
EV340577