Alternatives to the old "Flick-Stand" kickstand

Old May 15th 19, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Alternatives to the old "Flick-Stand" kickstand

I stumbled upon this while trying to find information about Flickstand. Apparently, it's no longer manufactured.

I bought this alternative: https://steerstopper.com/

It works VERY well, even better than Flickstand! Easier and more convenient to use. I have it mounted on my Trek Step-thru frame.

The downside is it's a little expensive, but it's worth it.
Old May 15th 19, 08:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/15/2019 2:15 PM, wrote:
I stumbled upon this while trying to find information about Flickstand. Apparently, it's no longer manufactured.

I bought this alternative:
https://steerstopper.com/

It works VERY well, even better than Flickstand! Easier and more convenient to use. I have it mounted on my Trek Step-thru frame.

The downside is it's a little expensive, but it's worth it.

IIRC, the Flickstand had the additional benefit of stopping the front
wheel's rotation, making the bike even more stable.

I stop the front wheel (but don't lock the steering) when parked by use
of a sort of stair-stepped wedge thing crammed into the upper side of
the squeezed brake lever. Blackburn used to make them.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cycleseven/8196756476

I make my own, varying the design depending on the brake lever.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 15th 19, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/15/2019 2:50 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/15/2019 2:15 PM, wrote:
I stumbled upon this while trying to find information
about Flickstand. Apparently, it's no longer manufactured.

I bought this alternative:
https://steerstopper.com/

It works VERY well, even better than Flickstand! Easier
and more convenient to use. I have it mounted on my Trek
Step-thru frame.

The downside is it's a little expensive, but it's worth it.

IIRC, the Flickstand had the additional benefit of stopping
the front wheel's rotation, making the bike even more stable.

I stop the front wheel (but don't lock the steering) when
parked by use of a sort of stair-stepped wedge thing crammed
into the upper side of the squeezed brake lever. Blackburn
used to make them.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cycleseven/8196756476

I make my own, varying the design depending on the brake lever.

Lacks a feature. Yours won't flip down and lock while riding
no hands. "a little expensive, but it's worth it"

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 16th 19, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/15/2019 11:15 AM, wrote:
I stumbled upon this while trying to find information about Flickstand. Apparently, it's no longer manufactured.

Wow, a post from 2000 gets some followups.

I bought this alternative:
https://steerstopper.com/

It works VERY well, even better than Flickstand! Easier and more convenient to use. I have it mounted on my Trek Step-thru frame.

The downside is it's a little expensive, but it's worth it

OMG, that is ridiculously expensive.

I still have a Flickstand on my old road bike. It'd be hard to make one
these days with the huge variety of shapes and diameters for frame tubing.

Old May 16th 19, 05:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Wed, 15 May 2019 15:50:49 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On 5/15/2019 2:15 PM, wrote:
I stumbled upon this while trying to find information about Flickstand.
Apparently, it's no longer manufactured.

I bought this alternative:
https://steerstopper.com/

Looks dodgy to me. the second guys problem is that despite their so
called great device, all his bike would fall over. hint, you nee to lean
the bike against and not away from the pole/table/etc.

It works VERY well, even better than Flickstand! Easier and more
convenient to use. I have it mounted on my Trek Step-thru frame.

The downside is it's a little expensive, but it's worth it.

nother down side it that it is another bit of junk on your top bar.

IIRC, the Flickstand had the additional benefit of stopping the front
wheel's rotation, making the bike even more stable.

I stop the front wheel (but don't lock the steering) when parked by use
of a sort of stair-stepped wedge thing crammed into the upper side of
the squeezed brake lever. Blackburn used to make them.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cycleseven/8196756476

I make my own, varying the design depending on the brake lever.

Close peg!