Time to eat my words!

Old May 15th 07, 04:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Time to eat my words!

Previously, I've expressed a certain skepticism about another RBT
poster's occasional observations about big black SUV's.

Here's an utterly devastating reply to my mistaken disbelief:

http://i1.tinypic.com/505ukc2.jpg

Yikes! Such SUV's may be useful somewhere, but a Colorado rancher once
told me that trucks with tires like that end up floating downstream
instead of getting across the creek.

I'm unfamiliar with the ride-single-file bicycle sign. It claims to be
an official California Vehicle Code sign, but it may not even be real:
"The real signs always list the CVC number of the cited code."

The tall yellow bicycle frame and matching pump, plus the down-tube
shifters, should make it clear who sent me the picture, which was
"taken last week on Cliff drive a bit north of Capitola CA (Santa
Cruz)."

But in case the photographer's identity is stil unclear, the subject
line of the email with the picture was "Drive truck!"

No more squabbling from me about big black SUV's--you can roll a
bicycle with a normal-size frame under that thing!

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old May 15th 07, 04:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JeffWills

On May 14, 7:34 pm, wrote:
Previously, I've expressed a certain skepticism about another RBT
poster's occasional observations about big black SUV's.

Here's an utterly devastating reply to my mistaken disbelief:

http://i1.tinypic.com/505ukc2.jpg

snip

But in case the photographer's identity is stil unclear, the subject
line of the email with the picture was "Drive truck!"

No more squabbling from me about big black SUV's--you can roll a
bicycle with a normal-size frame under that thing!

Heck, if you rode this recumbent:
http://www.kingcycle.co.uk/hpvs/Hachi.html
you could *ride* under it at 30 mph and never muss your hair.

P.S. That 4x4 is a pretty poor example. The wheelwells need to be
trimmed so they don't slice the tires at full jounce.

Jeff

Old May 15th 07, 05:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Daniel

if I were riding a recumbent...I wouldnt mind getting ran over by the
truck...

Old May 15th 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On May 15, 12:17 am, Daniel wrote:
if I were riding a recumbent...I wouldnt mind getting ran over by the
truck...

Hi there.

A recumbent might be lower than a diamond frame but would it not still
get hit by the axels or the axel bunions?

Peter

Old May 15th 07, 05:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Daniel

let me restate:

if i were on a recumbent...I would want to be hit by a truck

Old May 15th 07, 09:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

wrote in message
[...]

That looks like Jobst' bike...

Chas.

Old May 15th 07, 12:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On May 14, 11:30 pm, Daniel wrote:
let me restate:

if i were on a recumbent...I would want to be hit by a truck

LOL

Old May 15th 07, 12:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On May 15, 3:08 am, "* * Chas" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Yep, you can spot those 300,000 mi. spokes in any picture!

Also, that looks like a 'hot air' pump. ;-)

Old May 15th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic

On Mon, 14 May 2007 21:34:34 -0600, wrote:

[...]

Carl, in Florida such trucks are fairly unremarkable. Gene would confirm this if
you've got the right decoder ring.

Here they are used for slogging through mud flats, a pastime called mud boggin'.
Basically you drive around on flat wet patches of land churning up and spraying
mud until you finally get stuck or roll over and take turns extracting one
another.

I'd imagine out on your half of the country they'd be used for rock and trail
climbing. Or, as here, most often to support a rack of railroad horns to help
the testicularly insecure intimidate others.

Ron

Ron

Effect pedal demo's up at http://www.soundclick.com/ronsonicpedalry

Old May 15th 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Camilo

On May 14, 7:34 pm, wrote:
[...]

It's clear that this is a RealSeel (tm) bicycle frame. An aluminum or
carbon fiber top tube and bottom bracket would be totally inadequate
for the indicated use as steps up into the truck.

Words fail me - almost Danny Colyer UK 4 August 24th 06 09:41 AM
Words from Indiana JD Mountain Biking 0 April 10th 06 07:21 PM
OT - plod and words Clive George UK 30 February 26th 06 11:11 AM
The Wit and Wisdom of MV...in his own words JP Mountain Biking 0 May 1st 05 07:21 PM
Mattan in is own words Van Hoorebeeck Bart Racing 3 April 8th 05 12:06 PM