Cyclists jump red lights for their own safety, oh, wait a minute.

Old August 3rd 15, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

Default Cyclists jump red lights for their own safety, oh, wait a minute.

Maxx was cycling down the hill towards the lights, and raced through as
they turned red - but Lynch sped up as his lights went green.

The court was shown graphic CCTV footage of the fatal impact.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...20-months.html
Old August 3rd 15, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 03/08/2015 13:53, Mrcheerful wrote:

Maxx was cycling down the hill towards the lights, and raced through as
they turned red - but Lynch sped up as his lights went green.

The court was shown graphic CCTV footage of the fatal impact.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...20-months.html

That's a peculiar story, with a heck of a lot of "he"s and "him"s in the
report, which doesn't make for clarity when there are only two (male)
characters.

But as far as one can make out:

"Maxx [the cyclist] was cycling down the hill towards the lights, and
raced through as they turned *red* - but Lynch [the uninsured, speeding,
driver] sped up as his lights went *green*.

I'm absolutely not going to defend a driver who is uninsured.

I'm absolutely not going to defend a driver who is doing 45mph and up in
a built-up area.

I'm absolutely not going to defend a driver who immediately left the
scene of an injury accident.

He ought to be punished for all those things. But "careless driving"?
Does that arise automatically out of being 15mph over the limit?

*If* he went through a green light (I accept that this is a big "if" and
that other things may have been said in court) and *if* the cyclist went
through a red light...

Journalists, eh?

Old August 3rd 15, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 03/08/2015 14:21, JNugent wrote:
[...]

The facts that the whole thing is on video would help with red green
issues. The lack of lights and brakes on the bicycle, coupled with
going through a red light at speed were the immediate problem. The
cyclist would not have been hit if he had been following the laws of the
road and the rules of common sense and the Highway Code.
Old August 3rd 15, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
RJH[_2_]

On 03/08/2015 16:06, Mrcheerful wrote:
[...]

Equally, he would not have been hit had the driver followed same.

I think this is a moral conundrum - who is the most reprehensible in
context, driver or cyclist?

--
Cheers, Rob
Old August 4th 15, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Mon, 03 Aug 2015 13:53:35 +0100, Mrcheerful wrote:

Maxx was cycling down the hill towards the lights, and raced through as
they turned red - but Lynch sped up as his lights went green.

The court was shown graphic CCTV footage of the fatal impact.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Lynch-killed-

cyclist-Maxx-Church-hit-run-jailed-20-months.html

I saw nothing in the report that the bicyclist jumped the red light "for
his own safety."

However this was in the report:

Quote:
Maxx had no lights on his bicycle and defective brakes -
Perhaps this is more relevant?
Old August 12th 15, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

wrote:

Maxx was cycling down the hill towards the lights, and raced through as
they turned red - but Lynch sped up as his lights went green.

The court was shown graphic CCTV footage of the fatal impact.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...20-months.html

I can't follow that: did the motorist drive through a red light and hit a
cyclist who had the lights in his favour?

Old August 12th 15, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Mon, 3 Aug 2015 18:25:17 +0100, RJH wrote:

snip

I think this is a moral conundrum - who is the most reprehensible in
context, driver or cyclist?

You could ask the question: which of the two was responsible for his own death?

Old August 12th 15, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
colwyn[_2_]

wrote:

Maxx was cycling down the hill towards the lights, and raced through as
they turned red - but Lynch sped up as his lights went green.

The court was shown graphic CCTV footage of the fatal impact.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...20-months.html

I can't follow that: did the motorist drive through a red light and hit a
cyclist who had the lights in his favour?

Green light means: Go - IF the way is clear!

Not many people know that!

His Lordship however did.
Old August 12th 15, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

wrote:

Maxx was cycling down the hill towards the lights, and raced through as
they turned red - but Lynch sped up as his lights went green.

The court was shown graphic CCTV footage of the fatal impact.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...20-months.html

I can't follow that: did the motorist drive through a red light and hit a
cyclist who had the lights in his favour?

Green light means: Go - IF the way is clear!

Not many people know that!

His Lordship however did.

and a red light means?

Old August 12th 15, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

wrote:

Maxx was cycling down the hill towards the lights, and raced through as
they turned red - but Lynch sped up as his lights went green.

The court was shown graphic CCTV footage of the fatal impact.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...20-months.html

I can't follow that: did the motorist drive through a red light and
hit a
cyclist who had the lights in his favour?

Green light means: Go - IF the way is clear!

Not many people know that!

His Lordship however did.

and a red light means?

Prostitutes available.