Hill rides in the Peak District

Old November 18th 03, 09:20 AM
turkeytickler

Default Hill rides in the Peak District

Hi there

Since I am from flat Norfolk, I am planning a trip to the Peak District to
try my hill climbing out before I go for a place on the Etape 2004.

Can anyone recommend a good route that will take in some proper hills?
Maybe places to stay too?

tia

Chris

Old November 18th 03, 06:36 PM
Richard Bates

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 08:20:41 -0000, in
, turkeytickler
wrote:

Hi there

Since I am from flat Norfolk, I am planning a trip to the Peak District to
try my hill climbing out before I go for a place on the Etape 2004.

Can anyone recommend a good route that will take in some proper hills?
Maybe places to stay too?

Edale YHA (grid ref SK140866) (train station nearby from
Sheffield/Manchester, and possibly Chesterfield), over Mam Tor at
Barber Booth. At acute angled T junction, take SHARP left onto A625
then B6061. Then turn left onto yellow road to Blue John and Speedwell
caverns. Take A road through Castleton. At Hope, turn left and head
back to Hostel. WARNING: one of these roads suffered a landslide a few
years ago. I cannot remember which one and my 1994 map doesn't tell
me! It may or may not have been repaired since?

Alternatively, instead of heading back to YHA, blast further along
the A625 road to Hathersage then take the B road to Sheffield via Dale
Bottom, Overstones Farm, Ringinlow. Return via A road or trainline.

Grindleford has a decent coffee shop, and between Sheffield and edale
there are plenty of cop-out train stations, so long as you don't mind
a 2 hourly Sunday service!

Edale and Hathersage have YHAs. Hathersage is much nicer IMHO.

Mr Cooper who owns one of the campsites at Nether Booth near Edale is
a miserable grumpy sod. If you are passing, knee him in the nuts for
me!

Sorry my knowledge is a little dated but hope this helps.

Love and hugs from Rich x

--
Sig got lost during a reinstall
Old November 18th 03, 09:37 PM
Paul Lydon

wrote:

Hi there

Since I am from flat Norfolk, I am planning a trip to the Peak District to
try my hill climbing out before I go for a place on the Etape 2004.

Can anyone recommend a good route that will take in some proper hills?
Maybe places to stay too?

Edale YHA (grid ref SK140866) (train station nearby from
Sheffield/Manchester, and possibly Chesterfield), over Mam Tor at
Barber Booth. At acute angled T junction, take SHARP left onto A625
then B6061. Then turn left onto yellow road to Blue John and Speedwell
caverns. Take A road through Castleton. At Hope, turn left and head
back to Hostel. WARNING: one of these roads suffered a landslide a few
years ago. I cannot remember which one and my 1994 map doesn't tell
me! It may or may not have been repaired since?

The landslide was more than a *few* years ago...

The road to Castleton now takes the way down Winnats Pass - although
its worth a look at the land slip just past Blue John Cavern - the
road looks just like a massive earthquake had struck!

There's plenty of nice quiet lanes around here off the main roads -
plenty of hills if you want them.

Just get the appropriate 1:50,000 OS Map and pick a route.

--
Paul Lydon
Winster, Derbyshire, UK
Old November 19th 03, 06:26 PM
Peter B

"turkeytickler" wrote in message
news
Hi there

Since I am from flat Norfolk, I am planning a trip to the Peak District to
try my hill climbing out before I go for a place on the Etape 2004.

Can anyone recommend a good route that will take in some proper hills?
Maybe places to stay too?

Most anywhere in The Peaks will be hilly, but check out Winnats Pass.
Do call in the cafe in Eyam and try the Bakewell Tart, it ain't nuthin' like
Mr. Kiplings ;-)

Pete

Old November 30th 03, 01:59 AM
Andrew Sweetman

Paul Lydon
Richard Bates wrote:
Edale YHA (grid ref SK140866) (train station nearby from
Sheffield/Manchester, and possibly Chesterfield), over Mam Tor at
Barber Booth. At acute angled T junction, take SHARP left onto A625
then B6061. Then turn left onto yellow road to Blue John and Speedwell
caverns. Take A road through Castleton. At Hope, turn left and head
back to Hostel. WARNING: one of these roads suffered a landslide a few
years ago. I cannot remember which one and my 1994 map doesn't tell
me! It may or may not have been repaired since?

The landslide was more than a *few* years ago...

The road to Castleton now takes the way down Winnats Pass - although
its worth a look at the land slip just past Blue John Cavern - the
road looks just like a massive earthquake had struck!

They finally gave up repairing this road (the A625, as was), in 1976-7
(ish). One of my more interesting cycling experiences was riding off a 15"
step in the road having failed to spot it in time to quite stop.
It doesn't appear as a road at all on any recent maps, and there's very
little left on the ground in the worst spots, although you may still be able
to see lumps of road off down the hillside.

Andrew

Old November 30th 03, 09:22 AM
Tony Raven

Andrew Sweetman wrote:

They finally gave up repairing this road (the A625, as was), in
1976-7 (ish). One of my more interesting cycling experiences was
riding off a 15" step in the road having failed to spot it in time
to quite stop.
It doesn't appear as a road at all on any recent maps, and there's
very little left on the ground in the worst spots, although you may
still be able to see lumps of road off down the hillside.

Still eminently rideable on a mountainbike and mostly tarmac with
regular big upheavals all the way down

Tony

Old November 30th 03, 01:02 PM
Nick Kew

In article , one of infinite monkeys
at the keyboard of "Tony Raven" wrote:

1976-7 (ish). One of my more interesting cycling experiences was
riding off a 15" step in the road having failed to spot it in time
to quite stop.

Hehe. Lucky the step was down rather than up, eh?

Still eminently rideable on a mountainbike and mostly tarmac with
regular big upheavals all the way down

Nowt wrong with it on a tourer either. But for doing it downhill,
it might be a good idea for both bike and rider to be in working order.

--
Things money can usually buy: (1) The Meeja (2) The Courts
(3) A member of parliament (4) A government policy