0 Q-factor for those with penguin feet or pigeon toes?

Old July 1st 08, 02:44 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
TrialsUni

Default 0 Q-factor for those with penguin feet or pigeon toes?

hey all,

i'm currently thinking of swapping in the old alex/profile wheel for a
new koxx/try-all one.

i have relatively flat feet, that tend to point slightly outwards.
riding with profiles has always resulted in the nub of the crank
tearing bits out of my forward-foot shoe. sometimes my ankles bump the
nubs.

if i were to ride cranks with 0 Q-factor, will i continue this trend of
bumping my forward shoe or ankle?

thanks,
evan

--
TrialsUni
Old July 1st 08, 02:56 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

I had a huge problem hitting my DX crank nubs. I ground them off and
it's much less.

I rarely hit the nubs of my Qu-Ax cranks I have on my DX or the
streight cranks on my freestyle.

Doing some stretching of my feet for a couple of min. just before a
ride offen allows me keep my feet in the ideal spot on the pedals more
comfortably w/o hitting the cranks.

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'
(http://unicycletips.com/)*'Trials class system'
(http://tinyurl.com/yqpvxk)*'Trials Building'
Old July 1st 08, 02:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
TrialsUni

thanks. i'll keep stretching in mind.

now hopefully we can get some more opinions.

--
TrialsUni
Old July 1st 08, 05:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
phlegm

TrialsUni wrote:
i have relatively flat feet, that tend to point slightly outwards.
riding with profiles has always resulted in the nub of the crank
tearing bits out of my forward-foot shoe. sometimes my ankles bump the
nubs.

Doesn't pigeon-toed mean you toes point inward? I don't understand how
that results in bumping the nubs with your ankles.

My toes point outward, and I have noticed that I tend to bump my heel
on the nub at the axle connection of the old style KH Onza cranks much
more than the KH Moments. Comparing the two cranks, they appear to
have about the same Q, but the nubs stick out more on the Onza cranks.

--
phlegm
Old July 1st 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
1-wheeled-grape

I've never hit my ankles on my Koxx cranks, and I try to hit them
sometimes. (pretending to be on a Schlumpf )

--
1-wheeled-grape

Scott,

Getting ready for the summer holidays!
Old July 1st 08, 07:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Brian O.

I think both moments and koxx trials cranks are pretty easy on your
ankles. If anything I think more Q-factor would decrease your odds of
hitting your ankles as you are standing further away from the axle.

--
Brian O.

*'ProjectUNI' (http://www.projectuni.com) - *The First Serious Unicycle
Computer Game* - -ProjectUNI update available 'here!'
(http://www.projectuni.com/?page_id=9)-* - Follow the 'progress.'
(http://www.projectuni.com)

'Not fond of benches.'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEfoS_i-6lI)
Old July 2nd 08, 05:29 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
TrialsUni

phlegm wrote:
Doesn't pigeon-toed mean you toes point inward? I don't understand how
that results in bumping the nubs with your ankles.

My toes point outward, and I have noticed that I tend to bump my heel
on the nub at the axle connection of the old style KH Onza cranks much
more than the KH Moments. Comparing the two cranks, they appear to
have about the same Q, but the nubs stick out more on the Onza cranks.

yes, it means that they point inward. i wasn't just talking about
bumping nubs with ankles.

i ride profiles (going on four years), and wanted to know how the small
Q-factor compares with (preferably) Koxx cranks. yes, one of my
concerns is bumping either my shoe or my ankle, but that's not one of
my biggest. i merely included that to see if it was just the cranks,
or if it's due in part by the way i walk. i walk with my feet slightly
out, probably because i don't have much of an arch.

anyway, your comparison helps.

--
TrialsUni
Old July 2nd 08, 06:43 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Seager

The less Q, the more rub, wether your toes point in or out.

I used to ride Nimbus X cranks (0 Q, like the koxx) and I rubbed WAY
more than I do now with profiles. I actually rubbed the black off of
the nimbus cranks. My toes point out a bit, I tend to rub the ankle
cups my 661 shoes, and in fact am down to plastic only on both. The
side of my foot also rubs occasionly. I'll never go back to 0 Q factor
for muni.

--
Seager

'The GreyMatter Jugglers' (http://www.greymatterjugglers.com) | 'Team
RoadShow' (http://www.teamroadshow.com) | 'Unexpected Failure
Productions' (http://www.unexpectedfailure.com) | 'Moab'
(http://tinyurl.com/9fxuv)
Old July 2nd 08, 07:34 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skrobo

uhhh
Kh cranks have never been a problem for me, i wear non-superfat skate
shoes when i ride, but the DX cranks chipped bone in my ankle twice.

i've ridden (pinchy) QU-AX cranks as well, but not as much, they seem
better than DX but worse than moments

--
skrobo

Unicycle For Christ

'MY VIDEOS-for enjoyment purposes'
(http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=skroboskim)

do it for the joy, do it for the fun, do it for the looks, do it for
yourself.
Old July 2nd 08, 03:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
TrialsUni

Seager wrote:
The less Q, the more rub, whether your toes point in or out.

that's what i was thinking. looks like i'll stick with the profiles,
especially until the moment's hub flanges are stronger.

i definitely need a new non-drilled trials rim. looks like i'll have
to wait until renegade get's the try-all street back in stock.

--
TrialsUni

About my "Pigeon Toes" Burr General 5 June 17th 08 11:58 PM
killed a pigeon- patrick mitchel General 19 April 2nd 08 03:05 AM
Fat penguin on a bike G.T. UK 0 October 30th 06 04:04 AM
The end of the flying pigeon... eddiec Australia 4 May 23rd 06 01:02 PM
Goodbye, Flying Pigeon Luigi de Guzman General 2 March 8th 04 11:30 PM