The dream is back

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 12th 04, 08:47 PM
Edward Dolan

"MasterBlaster" wrote in message
news:ZqPad.32260$663.22778@edtnps84...

"Edward Dolan" wrote

I come from a long line of name calling gentry and I am to the manor
born.

Was that the manor on 4th Ave, just south of Park Lane?

Sort of in the middle of this view (old pic)...?
http://terraserver-usa.com/image.asp...24164&z=15&w=1

Yes, I am at the house that is the only remaining house in the downtown
core. It is the oldest house in town still standing at 125 years. However,
when I go (die) the house will go with me as it has not been kept up over
the years. Fourth Avenue a hundred years ago was the premier street in town
where all the doctors and lawyers lived. See the movie "The Magnificent
Ambersons" for a clue as to how things were, but no longer are.

There is another very old house in town which is presently being restored at
a cost of a million dollars and will be the showplace for pioneer houses
(Worthington was established as a railroad town and so never had a poverty
stricken pioneer past with sod houses). It is known as the Dayton House and
was the former home of the founder of the Dayton department stores which is
a very big deal here in the Upper Midwest. The Dayton stores are probably
best known these days as Target, although they still retain the Dayton name
for some of their stores.

Worthington, for those who are interested, is about as fine a small town as
there is in the world. It is a full service town and there is never any
reason to go anywhere else for anything. If you walk down the streets, you
will not get very far because others will smile at you and want to talk to
you.

I have often thought that Worthington is not grand, but it is progressive.
As an instance of this, we recently had three all night super grocery stores
operating (until Wal-Mart put one of them out of business) and we have two
Internet service providers who also give us cable TV and telephone services.
Those of us who occasionally feel the need to go to the big city access the
interstate highway outside of town and we can be in Sioux Falls in about an
hour.

However, the very best thing about Worthington is that I can be out in the
relatively unspoiled countryside in three minutes on my bike where I can
have hundreds of miles of blacktop all to myself except for the occasional
local farmer coming into town for some shopping. You couldn't pay me to live
in a large city or metro. I am smart enough to know when I am well off.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

switching back from a touring derailleur to road... Sheldon Brown Techniques 3 July 21st 04 02:52 PM
RR: There and Back. Shaun Rimmer Mountain Biking 32 February 21st 04 07:38 PM
exercises for back Matthew General 6 December 15th 03 08:55 PM
Lower back exercises for out of the saddle road climbing Doug Racing 12 October 12th 03 05:09 PM
Lower back pains Jiyang Chen General 7 July 28th 03 01:10 PM