Need a light ($50-$150) range

Old September 8th 04, 02:54 PM
chris christanis

Default Need a light ($50-$150) range

Want a bright and wide beam. Use the light only a few hours a week. But when
I do use it, I need brightness. I live in the suburbs where it is pitch
black at night with no lights. I have just a cateye el300 now and was
planning on checking out the new el 500 for a battery operated model. And I
have been looking at the cygolite night rover (12 watts) for a rechargeable
model. Both are $50 Thanks

Old September 8th 04, 04:06 PM
Roger Zoul

chris christanis wrote:
:: Want a bright and wide beam. Use the light only a few hours a week.
:: But when I do use it, I need brightness. I live in the suburbs where
:: it is pitch black at night with no lights. I have just a cateye
:: el300 now and was planning on checking out the new el 500 for a
:: battery operated model. And I have been looking at the cygolite
:: night rover (12 watts) for a rechargeable model. Both are $50 Thanks

The Nitehawk Emitter is really bright....I don't know if has a wide enough
beam for your needs, but I does light up the road ahead. It does not throw
out light to the sides, so you may not see a dog coming at you from the
side. It claimes 9 hours of battery life on 4 AAs.

Old September 8th 04, 06:17 PM
Ron Hardin

chris christanis wrote:

Want a bright and wide beam. Use the light only a few hours a week. But when
I do use it, I need brightness. I live in the suburbs where it is pitch
black at night with no lights. I have just a cateye el300 now and was
planning on checking out the new el 500 for a battery operated model. And I
have been looking at the cygolite night rover (12 watts) for a rechargeable
model. Both are $50 Thanks

You need brightness when it's bright. Almost anything works when it's really dark.

--
Ron Hardin

Old September 8th 04, 06:30 PM
Mark

Roger Zoul wrote:
chris christanis wrote:
:: Want a bright and wide beam. Use the light only a few hours a week.
:: But when I do use it, I need brightness. I live in the suburbs where
:: it is pitch black at night with no lights. I have just a cateye
:: el300 now and was planning on checking out the new el 500 for a
:: battery operated model. And I have been looking at the cygolite
:: night rover (12 watts) for a rechargeable model. Both are $50 Thanks

The Nitehawk Emitter is really bright....I don't know if has a wide enough
beam for your needs, but I does light up the road ahead. It does not throw
out light to the sides, so you may not see a dog coming at you from the
side. It claimes 9 hours of battery life on 4 AAs.

I am thinking about buying a Nitehawk, A local store here sells 2
different Nitehawk emitters. One is listed as a "digital and the other
as just "emitter"

Their webpage lists them he
http://tinyurl.com/44hxb

Which one did you buy.

Old September 8th 04, 06:38 PM
Richard Amirault

"chris christanis" wrote ...
Want a bright and wide beam. Use the light only a few hours a week. But
when
I do use it, I need brightness. I live in the suburbs where it is pitch
black at night with no lights. I have just a cateye el300 now and was
planning on checking out the new el 500 for a battery operated model. And
have been looking at the cygolite night rover (12 watts) for a
rechargeable
model. Both are $50 Thanks

"Brightness" is not enough information. What is "bright" to you may not be
"bright" to someone else. Also how "wide" is wide? In addition, when riding
in "pitch black" conditions you actually need *less* light than riding a
road with streetlights.

Sounds like a 10 watt light should work. How about the Nite Hawk Raptor 10w
that has a SLA water bottle battery with a 2.5 hr run time for $50 (at
Nashbar)

Richard in Boston, MA, USA

Old September 8th 04, 07:11 PM
Roger Zoul

Mark wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::: chris christanis wrote:
::::: Want a bright and wide beam. Use the light only a few hours a
::::: week. But when I do use it, I need brightness. I live in the
::::: suburbs where it is pitch black at night with no lights. I have
::::: just a cateye el300 now and was planning on checking out the new
::::: el 500 for a battery operated model. And I have been looking at
::::: the cygolite night rover (12 watts) for a rechargeable model.
::::: Both are $50 Thanks
:::
::: The Nitehawk Emitter is really bright....I don't know if has a wide
::: enough beam for your needs, but I does light up the road ahead. It
::: does not throw out light to the sides, so you may not see a dog
::: coming at you from the side. It claimes 9 hours of battery life on
::: 4 AAs.
:::
:::
::
:: I am thinking about buying a Nitehawk, A local store here sells 2
:: different Nitehawk emitters. One is listed as a "digital and the
:: other as just "emitter"
::
:: Their webpage lists them he
:: http://tinyurl.com/44hxb
::
:: Which one did you buy.

i got the nondigital. it only has two power modes (10% and 100%), but it
lists a longer run time than does the digital version (9 vs 5 hours,
supposedly).

Maybe they will let you try one is dark room or at night.

Old September 8th 04, 09:38 PM

chris christanis wrote:
have been looking at the cygolite night rover (12 watts) for a rechargeable

FWIW, I have a Night Rover, and I like it. It has two bulbs, one wide
and one narrow. Minor problem: the battery pack straps are not adequate
to mount the NR on the frame. I've had to hang mine from the handlebar
stem.
And every now and then, when the light is freshly charged, some
motorist will flash his high beams at me...

Bill

| The surest way to become a pacifist is to join the infantry. |
| --Bill Mauldin |

Old September 9th 04, 03:12 AM
chris christanis

Good point about the needing less light in pitch black conditions. That is
the only time I use the light (pitch black conditions). Wide enough to see
more than a foot or two wide (I guess).

"chris christanis" wrote ...

Old September 9th 04, 04:12 AM
Mike Schwab

I like my Cateye Opticube for $35. I have rode home 50-60 miles 3 times
one way from Springfield IL to Litchfield, IL, very rural, night lights
at houses 1-2 miles apart. Last 100 hours to see the road, 300 hours to
be seen. My first set of 4AA batteries leaked wax at about 50 hours.