Support on my 300+ mile ride

Old September 21st 08, 06:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bob Tucker

Default Support on my 300+ mile ride

Hello Fellow Cyclers,

I’m writing to tell you some exciting news and ask for your help.
Many of you may already know about this ride and/or know someone who
plans to go on it.

This fall, I am participating in a 300-mile bike ride from Jerusalem
to Eilat in the Arava Institute Hazon Israel Ride. I am looking
forward to the challenge and thrilled to have the opportunity to show
solidarity with Israel. I am riding to raise money for two important
organizations, the Arava Institute for Environmental Studies and
Hazon, both promoting environmental protection in Israel and the US.

Here is how you can help. As a participant in the ride, I am committed
to raise at least $3600. I am writing to ask for your support with a
donation toward my ride. Any amount from $36 to $360 or more would be
wonderful to receive. I hope you will consider giving a gift of at
least $100 – if 36 people support my ride at $100, I’ll easily make my
goal, and perhaps even surpass it.

The primary beneficiary of the Israel Ride is the Arava Institute for
Environmental Studies. The Institute is working to confront the
serious environmental challenges in Israel, by creating a leadership
cadre of environmentalist, through important research, and through
public involvement. The Arava Institute draws students from across the
Middle East, encouraging environmental cooperation between peoples,
and working towards peace and sustainable development on a regional
and global scale. The Institute brings together Israeli, Egyptian,
Jordanian, Palestinian and other students and faculty from the Middle
East, North America and around the world to study environmental
issues. The Institute fosters understanding and cooperation in the
Middle East - something that region surely needs. To learn much more
about the work of the Arava Institue, or about the environmental
movement in Israel, check out http://www.arava.org/.

The second beneficiary of the Israel Ride is Hazon, one of most
innovative organizations in the American Jewish community and now the
largest Jewish environmental organization in the United States. The
word “Hazon” means vision. Hazon's vision is to create a healthier and
more sustainable Jewish community as step toward creating a healthier
and more sustainable world for all. Through the Jewish Environmental
Bike Rides, the Community-Supported Agriculture projects, the
conference on Jews, Food & Contemporary Life, and other cutting edge
programs, Hazon brings people together, builds community, and promotes
sustainability and vibrant Jewish life.

With your generosity and my pedaling, we can support Israel at this
important time. You can donate by credit card by visiting my rider
page at www.israelride.org.

I will keep you posted on my training along the way and I am planning
on sending regular e-mails from the road during the trip.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Bob Tucker

Follow This Link to visit my personal web page and help me in my
efforts to support Arava Institute Hazon Israel Bike Ride

************************************************** ****************************
Some email systems do not support the use of links and therefore this
link may not appear to work. If so, copy and paste the following into
your browser:
http://arava.kintera.org/faf/r.asp?t...7&e=1907058437
************************************************** ****************************
Old September 23rd 08, 01:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default OT - Real Terrorists? (was: Support on my 300+ mile ride)

emanon (who?) anonymously snipes:

FIX YOUR QUOTING!

"Bob Tucker" wrote in message
[...]
The primary beneficiary of the Israel Ride is the Arava Institute for
Environmental Studies. The Institute is working to confront the
serious environmental challenges in Israel, by creating a leadership
cadre of environmentalist, through important research, and through
public involvement. The Arava Institute draws students from across the
Middle East, encouraging environmental cooperation between peoples,
and working towards peace and sustainable development on a regional
and global scale. The Institute brings together Israeli, Egyptian,
Jordanian, Palestinian

You mean the terrorstinians? As in Fatah? Hamas? al-Aqsa Brigade?
Islamic Jihad? They have many other names too, but they all boil down to
the same thing: Death to anyone who is not in their clan and then a war
among themselves to see who's the boss over the rubble that is left.

Any more ignorance, hatred and bigotry to share with us?

I suppose you consider it just fine when the IDF and European Zionist
colonists slaughter innocent Palestinians?

"Terrorism is not an enemy. It cannot be defeated. It's a tactic. It's
about as sensible to say we declare war on night attacks and expect
we're going to win that war. We're not going to win the war on
terrorism. And it does whip up fear. Acts of terror have never brought
down liberal democracies. Acts of parliament have closed a few." –
General William Odom, U.S. Army Ret.

Old September 24th 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

You mean the terrorstinians? As in Fatah? Hamas? al-Aqsa Brigade?
Islamic Jihad? They have many other names too, but they all boil down
to the same thing: Death to anyone who is not in their clan and then
a war among themselves to see who's the boss over the rubble that is
left.

Any more ignorance, hatred and bigotry to share with us?

I suppose you consider it just fine when the IDF and European Zionist
colonists slaughter innocent Palestinians?

Why must we assume the worst? This isn't rec.bicycles.racing, but it's
beginning to sound that way. I went to the web page for the Arava
Institute, and it looks pretty darned progressive. They've taken a
stance against the army involving bringing Palestinian students
on-board, and even has this quote- "The first time I sat with 25
Palestinians, all the misconceptions I had about them flew out the
window," she said. "I became a peace addict."

Hardly what one would find from an organization run by hard-liners.

Maybe we should give peace a chance.

(And this is separate from my belief that people shouldn't be soliciting
contributions for benefit rides on rbm or rbt, which remains the case,
and it's rather surprising the OP didn't get flamed for that reason
alone.)

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
emanon (who?) anonymously snipes:

FIX YOUR QUOTING!

[...]

Old September 24th 08, 02:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default OT - Real Terrorists?

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
[...]

Yeah, put the soldiers together from opposing sides in a war, and they
will likely end up being friends. Wars are fought by the proletariat for
the benefit of the elites.

Hardly what one would find from an organization run by hard-liners.

Indeed. I had a very negative view of the original post until it got to
the part about bringing Jews and Arabs together in a cooperative manner.

Too bad a fraction of each population refuses to compromise on the
single, democratic state solution, where everyone is an equal citizen.
Both the current Israeli Jews and Palestinian Arabs could live in peace
and relative prosperity.

Maybe we should give peace a chance.

Who is we?

(And this is separate from my belief that people shouldn't be soliciting
contributions for benefit rides on rbm or rbt, which remains the case,
and it's rather surprising the OP didn't get flamed for that reason
alone.)

We regulars are too busy flaming each other.

“fdlagjaesgtp4epsadvdsajvadsvadjvdxzjvodjvof
adsgvogjvoasjcaoivor6udfda0tvuojdxvosdotvfl” – Ed Dolan