Advice for a heavier load

Old May 8th 08, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
D.M. Procida

Default Advice for a heavier load

I'll be making this journey next Thursday, carrying clothes for five
days, camera and so on in my panniers:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl...dre%C3%B1a+spa
in&daddr=llanez&mra=cc&dirflg=h&sll=43.399645,-3.62113&sspn=0.232738,0.3
06244&ie=UTF8&ll=43.39956,-3.632355&spn=0.232738,0.306244&t=p&z=12

Firstly, should I change my usual 23mm tyres for something heavier?

Secondly, I'd like to replace my falling-to-bits commuting pannier with
a pair of larger and more waterproof bags.

These look OK:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=14322

http://wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.as...0033204&N=d h
b%20Marsden%20Rear%20Panniers

Any suggestions or recommendations?

In normal daily use, I carry my lunch and a clean shirt to work.

Daniele
Old May 8th 08, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article 1igm4ex.xatyb18faupxN%real-not-anti-spam-address@apple-
juice.co.uk, D.M. Procida
says...
I'll be making this journey next Thursday, carrying clothes for five
days, camera and so on in my panniers:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl...dre%C3%B1a+spa
in&daddr=llanez&mra=cc&dirflg=h&sll=43.399645,-3.62113&sspn=0.232738,0.3
06244&ie=UTF8&ll=43.39956,-3.632355&spn=0.232738,0.306244&t=p&z=12

Firstly, should I change my usual 23mm tyres for something heavier?

I wouldn't go touring on less than a 28mm tyre, but I'm pretty heavy and
I also like the comfort of a slightly lower inflation pressure.

Secondly, I'd like to replace my falling-to-bits commuting pannier with
a pair of larger and more waterproof bags.

These look OK:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=14322

http://wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.as...0033204&N=d h
b%20Marsden%20Rear%20Panniers

Any suggestions or recommendations?

A handlebar bag is good for things like cameras and food that you want
to access easily. It also adds capacity and takes a bit of the load off
the rear wheel, as do front low-rider panniers. If rain is likely to be
a problem then putting stuff in plastic bags inside your panniers will
keep it dry.
Old May 8th 08, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

D.M. Procida wrote:
I'll be making this journey next Thursday, carrying clothes for five
days, camera and so on in my panniers:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl...dre%C3%B1a+spa
in&daddr=llanez&mra=cc&dirflg=h&sll=43.399645,-3.62113&sspn=0.232738,0.3
06244&ie=UTF8&ll=43.39956,-3.632355&spn=0.232738,0.306244&t=p&z=12

Firstly, should I change my usual 23mm tyres for something heavier?

I don't know the roads in question, but I reckon 25 or 28mm tyres are more
sensible for general cycling anyway.

Ultimately, you will be limited by what can fit in your frame or mudguards,
and it's a good idea to allow a bit of wobble room in case the wheel ever
goes slightly out of true.

~PB

Old May 8th 08, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

D.M. Procida wrote:
I'll be making this journey next Thursday, carrying clothes for five
days, camera and so on in my panniers:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl...dre%C3%B1a+spa
in&daddr=llanez&mra=cc&dirflg=h&sll=43.399645,-3.62113&sspn=0.232738,0.3
06244&ie=UTF8&ll=43.39956,-3.632355&spn=0.232738,0.306244&t=p&z=12

Firstly, should I change my usual 23mm tyres for something heavier?

I would, but mileage varies and I wouldn't typically ride on anything
less than 28 anyway. You've still got a week to get a tour in with the
heavy load and try it on the 23s and see how it goes.

Secondly, I'd like to replace my falling-to-bits commuting pannier with
a pair of larger and more waterproof bags.

These look OK:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=14322

Ho hum. For another tenner you can have a pair of Ortliebs which are
widely regarded as being as good as you can get.

http://wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.as...0033204&N=d h
b%20Marsden%20Rear%20Panniers

Those are a bit cheaper which would make sense if you don't plan on
using them very often. But if you are going to get extended use I've
yet to come across someone who's miffed they bought Ortliebs.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Wot Rob Sez concerning some of the load up front: it's a good idea.

Even if you get fully waterproof panniers don't forget that if you put
something wet (like a post-storm raincoat) inside then the contents will
still get wet, so get some liners in any case. Binliners are widely
used but frankly ****e as they tear too easy, rubble sacks (from B&Q
etc.) are miles better and are still only pennies.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old May 8th 08, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark T[_2_]

D.M. Procida writtificated

Firstly, should I change my usual 23mm tyres for something heavier?

Assuming you're sticking to tarmac, 23mm have two disadvantages. They are
uncomfortable and prone to pinch flats should you reduce the pressure.

If you're doing less than 20ish mph then a wide tyre run at a high pressure
would be more comfortable and more efficient than a 23 or 25mm tyre. That
said, I've toured on 23mm with 30kg of luggage and 80kg of me without
problems, it's just that when touring you don't want to feel every single
chip of tarmac you pass over
Old May 8th 08, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andrew Price

On Thu, 08 May 2008 14:35:57 +0100, Peter Clinch
wrote:

Ho hum. For another tenner you can have a pair of Ortliebs which are
widely regarded as being as good as you can get.

That's also what I'd recommend.

[---]

But if you are going to get extended use I've
yet to come across someone who's miffed they bought Ortliebs.

Mine get used two to three times a year on long-distance tours. But
every week carrying loads of shopping. And they're as water-tight as
the proverbial duck's a***.
Old May 9th 08, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Damerell

Quoting Andrew Price :
[ortliebs]
Mine get used two to three times a year on long-distance tours. But
every week carrying loads of shopping. And they're as water-tight as
the proverbial duck's a***.

My left one isn't, it's got a 3mm hole in the bottom. They don't last
_forever_...
--
David Damerell Distortion Field!
Today is Second Tuesday, May.
Old May 14th 08, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Steph Peters

David Damerell of Linux Unlimited wrote:
Quoting Andrew Price :
[ortliebs]
Mine get used two to three times a year on long-distance tours. But
every week carrying loads of shopping. And they're as water-tight as
the proverbial duck's a***.

My left one isn't, it's got a 3mm hole in the bottom. They don't last
_forever_...

How long is your not forever? I bought a pair of Ortliebs for a six month
tour in 1995, where they proved their complete watertightness by
withstanding tropical downpours. I still have one of that pair in daily use
for commuting to work and gets packed to the top for the weekly shop, and it
does not have any holes in. It's badly faded in colour but is still
waterproof.
--
Steph Peters
Chorlton Wanderers Cycling Group
Old May 15th 08, 12:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 14 May, 23:40, Steph Peters
wrote:
David Damerell of Linux Unlimited wrote:

Quoting Andrew Price :
[ortliebs]
Mine get used two to three times a year on long-distance tours. But
every week carrying loads of shopping. And they're as water-tight as
the proverbial duck's a***.

My left one isn't, it's got a 3mm hole in the bottom. They don't last
_forever_...

How long is your not forever? I bought a pair of Ortliebs for a six month
tour in 1995, where they proved their complete watertightness by
withstanding tropical downpours. I still have one of that pair in daily use
for commuting to work and gets packed to the top for the weekly shop, and it
does not have any holes in. It's badly faded in colour but is still
waterproof.

I've (more or less) trashed two pairs of Ortliebs in just a few
months.

To be fair, I'm carting a lorry-load of tools around in them, and
where a
chisel has gone through the end it's not really Ortlieb's fault, but
I'm a
bit disappointed in the fact that the welds are splitting at the
corners.

Given the loads, I think it's a toss-up whether the abraded holes are
fair wear and tear or not too - certainly they haven't proved as
robust
as I had hoped.

Still, it's doubtful whether any other brand would be any better:
having
said that, I see the treatment I'm giving them as heavy use rather
than
getting anywhere near abuse.

Suppose I should really see what the shop says about warranty ...

John
Old May 15th 08, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Steph Peters wrote:

How long is your not forever? I bought a pair of Ortliebs for a six month
tour in 1995, where they proved their complete watertightness by
withstanding tropical downpours.

13 years is good, but it's quite a long way short of forever!

However, I doubt that you'll get significantly tougher than Ortliebs,
and they remain a benchmark for ease of mounting/dismounting and general
user-friendliness.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

What's a good $100-200 unicycle for a heavier person? penguini Unicycling 14 November 5th 07 06:33 PM
Why heavier gauge drive side spokes? [email protected] Techniques 32 August 16th 07 03:48 PM
Ode to the heavier ones gwhite Racing 1 June 23rd 05 10:36 AM
RR: Sheep get heavier when they're wet! Jon Senior UK 1 May 3rd 05 01:22 AM
Shimano LX B-Tension Adjustment: Need Heavier Spring? HKEK Techniques 4 October 28th 04 02:19 AM