Hydration options ? - long road race / no support

Old June 22nd 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Hydration options ? - long road race / no support

Hi - state championship RR this weekend; forecast very hot. Expecting
my race (Cat 4, 57 miles, 3 laps) to be about 2.5 hours give or take.
Normally for a ride of this duration/intensity/temperature, I'd down
about 4 bottles. No support available for me for hand-ups on laps 2 and
3. It is legal (I know it's Fredly) to use a CamelBak AeroBak in a mass
start USCF race ? Any other suggestions - if nothing else, I'll stuff a
couple of 20 oz. bottles in my jersey pockets and jettison when empty.
Thanks for replies...........Lou D.

Old June 22nd 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On 21 Jun 2006 18:16:37 -0700, "Lou D'Amelio"
wrote:

Hi - state championship RR this weekend; forecast very hot. Expecting
my race (Cat 4, 57 miles, 3 laps) to be about 2.5 hours give or take.
Normally for a ride of this duration/intensity/temperature, I'd down
about 4 bottles.

Four is annoying to carry, but doable. Take a fifth bottle to the
start line in case there are delays and you're standing around there
for awhile.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old June 22nd 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Lou D'Amelio wrote:
Hi - state championship RR this weekend; forecast very hot. Expecting
my race (Cat 4, 57 miles, 3 laps) to be about 2.5 hours give or take.
Normally for a ride of this duration/intensity/temperature, I'd down
about 4 bottles. No support available for me for hand-ups on laps 2 and
3. It is legal (I know it's Fredly) to use a CamelBak AeroBak in a mass
start USCF race ? Any other suggestions - if nothing else, I'll stuff a
couple of 20 oz. bottles in my jersey pockets and jettison when empty.
Thanks for replies...........Lou D.

Assume you meant "is it legal?" ... yes, it's legal. Only USCF rule
on water carrying is you can't use glass bottles.

I have never liked Camelbacks, but a Camelback full of ice water
might not be such a bad thing on a hot day, for the cooling value
as well as the drinking. If you want to look like a freaky hunchback
rather than a displaced mountain biker, you could do like CSO Coggan
and wear it under the jersey.

Sometimes you can find a distant acquaintance to do your
handups - I've done this for people at cross races, at the road
race, who knows. On a hot day people are sympathetic.

Old June 22nd 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On 21 Jun 2006 19:03:37 -0700, "Scott"
wrote:

If you can carry them full, you can carry them empty. Don't jettison
'em unless you do so riding through the feed zone or some other
designated site where someone will pick 'em up.

What about picking them up oneself from the side of the road?

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old June 22nd 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

"John Forrest Tomlinson" wrote ...

What about picking them up oneself from the side of the road?

I heard Albright still goes around collecting.

--
Snippy

Old June 22nd 06, 09:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Lou D'Amelio wrote:
Hi - state championship RR this weekend; forecast very hot. Expecting
my race (Cat 4, 57 miles, 3 laps) to be about 2.5 hours give or take.
Normally for a ride of this duration/intensity/temperature, I'd down
about 4 bottles. No support available for me for hand-ups on laps 2 and
3. It is legal (I know it's Fredly) to use a CamelBak AeroBak in a mass
start USCF race ? Any other suggestions - if nothing else, I'll stuff a
couple of 20 oz. bottles in my jersey pockets and jettison when empty.
Thanks for replies...........Lou D.

Bring as many bottles as you have (ideally a recognizable color) and
find someone who has support and ask them to hand off to you too. I'd
be amazed if you couldn't find someone to help.

Good luck!

Joseph

Old June 22nd 06, 11:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Lou D'Amelio wrote:
Hi - state championship RR this weekend; forecast very hot. Expecting
my race (Cat 4, 57 miles, 3 laps) to be about 2.5 hours give or take.
Normally for a ride of this duration/intensity/temperature, I'd down
about 4 bottles. No support available for me for hand-ups on laps 2 and
3. It is legal (I know it's Fredly) to use a CamelBak AeroBak in a mass
start USCF race ? Any other suggestions - if nothing else, I'll stuff a
couple of 20 oz. bottles in my jersey pockets and jettison when empty.
Thanks for replies...........Lou D.

This suggestion my be "Fredly" as well, but when I do long rides, I
have one of those Profile aero cage thingys that go behind your seat
that carry two more bottles. I can carry 5 comfortably - 4 on the bike
and one in the pocket. I find carrying one in my jersey isn't bad, but
two is uncomfortable. Nothing like carrying an extra 10 pounds!

Greg Wood

Old June 22nd 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Lou D'Amelio wrote:
Hi - state championship RR this weekend; forecast very hot. Expecting
my race (Cat 4, 57 miles, 3 laps) to be about 2.5 hours give or take.
Normally for a ride of this duration/intensity/temperature, I'd down
about 4 bottles. No support available for me for hand-ups on laps 2 and
3. It is legal (I know it's Fredly) to use a CamelBak AeroBak in a mass
start USCF race ? Any other suggestions - if nothing else, I'll stuff a
couple of 20 oz. bottles in my jersey pockets and jettison when empty.
Thanks for replies...........Lou D.

If you can carry them full, you can carry them empty. Don't jettison
'em unless you do so riding through the feed zone or some other
designated site where someone will pick 'em up. Jettisoned bottles =
litter.

Litter! If it wasn't for lost, tossed bottles I'd have to buy the damn things.

Ron
Old June 22nd 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 21:36:54 -0400, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:

Four is annoying to carry, but doable. Take a fifth bottle to the
start line in case there are delays and you're standing around there
for awhile.

Obvious attempt for a free Livedrunk (c) bracelet, although most
members are stictly going with quarts and 1.5 liter bottles.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old June 22nd 06, 02:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Curtis L. Russell wrote:
Obvious attempt for a free Livedrunk (c) bracelet, although most
members are stictly going with quarts and 1.5 liter bottles.

You forgot the obligatory disclaimer: Livedrunk(tm) does not condone or in
any way encourage the consumption of alcoholic beverages while riding a
bicycle.

We wouldn't want Livedrunk to get sued would we now ?