A good time for 10km TT?

Old June 13th 06, 07:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default A good time for 10km TT?

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 16:50:26 +1200, Stu Fleming wrote:
Dammit, I can so too spell non-sequitur.

But why hyphenate it?

--
E. Dronkert
Old June 13th 06, 08:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Ron Ruff wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:
No, I'm the arbitor of what I think to be common sense. I do not believe
that LeMond won the Tour de France because he had aero bars. He said that
later in the wind tunnel there was almost no difference between his drag
with and without the bars.

Sure... I bet there was no difference. That's just BS to silence the
critics. Lemond also had an aero helmet and Fignon was bare headed.

I'm going from memory, but didn't Fignon have a hair-net? Even worse
than a bare head.

I can play that final TT on DVD and there's LeMond riding smoothly, keeping
a perfectly good position on the bike. Then there's Fignon jumping and
bobbing right from the start. It was plain that Laurent was having a very
bad day and LeMond a perfect day and yet everything was pinned on the
aero bars.

Fignon had such a bad day that he got 3rd in that TT...

I remember watching him standing to try to sprint his way past those
2-3 seconds. He did a fast TT showing is sure wasn't a bad day, but
losing 58 seconds to Greg was huge. If I recall, Greg even fell in a
cobble-stone corner and switched bikes! (Or was that some other time?)

Joseph

Old June 13th 06, 12:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

wrote:
Did Greg wipe out in a cobbled corner, or was that also my memory
playing tricks on me?

No crashes.

Old June 13th 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 16:50:26 +1200, Stu Fleming wrote:
Dammit, I can so too spell non-sequitur.

But why hyphenate it?

Good-qoestion.

Andy Coggan

Old June 13th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Ron Ruff wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:
No, I'm the arbitor of what I think to be common sense. I do not believe
that LeMond won the Tour de France because he had aero bars. He said that
later in the wind tunnel there was almost no difference between his drag
with and without the bars.

Sure... I bet there was no difference. That's just BS to silence the
critics. Lemond also had an aero helmet and Fignon was bare headed.

Gee, remember Oscar Savilla beating Lance?

I can play that final TT on DVD and there's LeMond riding smoothly, keeping
a perfectly good position on the bike. Then there's Fignon jumping and
bobbing right from the start. It was plain that Laurent was having a very
bad day and LeMond a perfect day and yet everything was pinned on the
aero bars.

Fignon had such a bad day that he got 3rd in that TT...

OK, he had a great day. That's why he lost to LeMond. Oh, I keep
forgetting that Oscar rode faster than Lance because Lance had that
damn Aero helmet. Wait, it was the aero bars that won LeMond's Tour and
not Fignon bobbing up and down and throwing the bike back and forth
never able to get on top of the gear he had.

If aero doesn't matter, then why are the two different UCI hour records
separated by more than 6.5km/hr? That's a huge amount...

And streamlined recumbents hold the record of 80.55 mph. That's 262% of
the UCI new rules record.

Old June 13th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Robert Chung wrote:

Hey Andy:

Whatever happened to that Rotor test you were doing?

I put them on one of my two road bikes, and alternated between for
about a month. That was sufficient that I could go back and forth
between the two types of cranks and have it only feel "funny" for the
first few pedal strokes. I then did a series of incremental exercise
tests on the Velodyne at different rates of power increase with each
crank, so that I could calculate my critical power and anaerobic work
capacity using that iteration of the Monod model. The result, not all
that surprisingly, was absolutely zero difference in performance
ability.

Andy Coggan

Old June 13th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

wrote:

Robert Chung wrote:

Hey Andy:

Whatever happened to that Rotor test you were doing?

I put them on one of my two road bikes, and alternated between for
about a month. That was sufficient that I could go back and forth
between the two types of cranks and have it only feel "funny" for the
first few pedal strokes. I then did a series of incremental exercise
tests on the Velodyne at different rates of power increase with each
crank, so that I could calculate my critical power and anaerobic work
capacity using that iteration of the Monod model. The result, not all
that surprisingly, was absolutely zero difference in performance
ability.

Andy Coggan

Too analytical. Didn't the rotor feel better?

--
Bill Asher
Old June 13th 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

William Asher wrote:

Too analytical.

Not if you're the CSO.

Didn't the rotor feel better?

I don't know if I'd say that. I will say, however, that I found that
*in normal training* the Rotor cranks seemed to encourage me to keep
mashing a gear up and over a hill, versus downshifting as I would
normally do. The end result was a faster ride, but at an increased cost
(i.e., higher average power). As I indicated before, however, maximum
effort tests (n=3 per crank) revealed no difference.

Andy Coggan