Saddle Comfort for Big Guys

Old January 3rd 04, 02:34 PM
K-Man

Default Saddle Comfort for Big Guys

I've taken my Trek 1200C that I got for Christmas this year out for 4
easy rides, 30-45 minutes each on flat roads, and I'm having comfort
problems with the saddle. After about 15-20 minutes on the Bontrager CRZ
road that came with the bike, my sit bones start getting annoyingly
sore. I wouldn't say that it was painful, but it certainly is
uncomfortable. I'm 6' 2" and 250 lbs, so I'm sure my weight has
something to do with it. :-) The fact that I haven't been on a bike in
nearly 20 years probably has something to do with it as well.

I'm wearing padded shorts, and I had the saddle height and front/back
position adjusted at the LBS where I got the bike when they fitted the
bike for me. Is this soreness something that will go away as I ride more
and get in better shape? Are there any other adjustments I can make to
the saddle to make it more comfortable? If I should be looking at a new
saddle, what would you recommend? Thanks!

Ken
Old January 3rd 04, 03:01 PM
Gary Smiley

My new Trek 520 came with the identical saddle and I had the same exact
problems (I'm 6-2, 200). It's a nice, light saddle but it's synthetic, so it
will never break in. I replaced mine with a Brooks Conquest, which is a
tensioned leather saddle with springs in the back, and it felt good from day
one. It's a bit heaver, but we are too. Also, try playing with the seat
angle- if you tilt it forward a bit, your arms will need to support you
more, but it will take some weight off of your butt. Good luck!

Old January 3rd 04, 04:28 PM
Arthur Harris

"K-Man" wrote:
I've taken my Trek 1200C that I got for Christmas this year out for 4
easy rides, 30-45 minutes each on flat roads, and I'm having comfort
problems with the saddle.

The fact that I haven't been on a bike in
nearly 20 years probably has something to do with it as well.

Lack of riding is probably the main problem. But if your comfort doesn't
improve after a few hundred miles, you may want to try a different saddle
anyway. See if the shop will let you buy one with the option to return it
within a week or so if it doesn't feel comfortable. Avoid soft cushy saddles
as they will create other problems. Don't tilt the saddle up or down either.
Assuming you were fitted properly, I wouldn't mess with height, fore/aft, or
tilt. If you change saddles, you may have to adjust the height.

See:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html

Art Harris

Old January 3rd 04, 05:36 PM
Nobody

K-Man wrote:

... Bontrager CRZ road that came with the bike, my sit bones start
getting annoyingly sore.

I am similar in size, and when I bought a Klein last year with the CRZ
saddle, I had the same problem. My older bike has a Specialized saddle
which I love, so I bought a Specialized Comp saddle and the discomfort
disappeared immediately. Even though the saddles look similar, they are
day and night different in comfort (for me anyways), so I can highly
recommend the Specialized saddles. I am also a big fan of their cycling
gloves.

You can get more opinions about saddles at www.roadbikereview.com.

Old January 3rd 04, 06:05 PM
Zippy the Pinhead

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 16:28:34 GMT, "Arthur Harris"
wrote:

I'm going to be scoffed at for this (but I can take it, I'm
unscoffable) == but you might want to do as the other poster said and
give yourself a chance to toughen up a bit. But if you want to start
looking at other saddles, I'd recommend a Brooks B-17.

I have one which I use both on my upright that I ride during the
summer but also on my AirDyne which I ride all winter. In fact, I
just got "back" from an hour's "spin" on that bike when I read your
question.

In general, padded seats don't work. The Brooks is compliant enough
that it will custom-form itself to your aff as you ride. Take care of
it, though. Especially don't let it get rained on. Even mud and
water thrown up from below by the tires will take its toll on the
Brooks' leather. But that's the only downside to an excellent design
that has been proven over time.
Old January 3rd 04, 06:41 PM
Nobody

Zippy the Pinhead wrote:

I'm going to be scoffed at for this (but I can take it, I'm
unscoffable) == but you might want to do as the other poster said and
give yourself a chance to toughen up a bit.

Sounds like "blame the victim" to me. While getting back in riding shape
is a factor, if a saddle is uncomfortable and isn't subject to break in,
then it's wrong.

In general, padded seats don't work.

That's utter nonsense... While there are many poorly designed padded
saddles, there are designs that are very good. I rode Brooks for years,
and at my age would never consider one again. Not everyone has to (or
should) develop an iron butt to ride on a hard leather surface; see for
example:

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m...9371/p1/articl
e.jhtml

Old January 3rd 04, 06:47 PM
Nobody

Gary Smiley wrote:

Also, try playing with the seat
angle- if you tilt it forward a bit, your arms will need to support you
more, but it will take some weight off of your butt.

Bad advice. It isn't solving the problem, just introducing a new one.
Proper bike fitting is important, and tilting a seat forward is not
consistent with good fit.
Old January 3rd 04, 07:28 PM
Billy Bigelow

"K-Man" wrote
If I should be looking at a new
saddle, what would you recommend? Thanks!

Have your wallet handy. It might take as many as 4 or 5 saddles before
you'll find one that works for you. And... don't expect complete comfort
from *any* saddle.

Balance the seat so that you're not sitting heavy or leaning forward... then
stand every few miles to get the blood flowing!

It's more a matter of getting used to the discomfort.

hth

Weird Back Pain ... One bike, not the other Andrew Morris General 22 November 19th 03 10:37 AM
Koobi PRS saddle Bob M General 4 October 31st 03 01:33 PM
First road bike: braking? Alan Hoyle General 47 September 28th 03 11:40 PM
protecting saddle + post from theft? Sanjay Punjab General 13 August 8th 03 02:27 PM
Seat / Saddle / Endurance Ken General 1 July 14th 03 09:40 PM