wusses !

Old May 22nd 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Sandy

Default wusses !

What's with all this soft, languid, feminine, vocal style with Americans?
The guys seem to like to let the end of sentences rise upwards, like little
girls asking questions, not like making statements.
I think that style, if it could not be corrected, would make me look for
another expert.
Wusses, the majority.

Incidentally, Atty Young does this a little, but after all, he is asking
questions, so it's a little more natural.
--
Bonne route !

Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

Old May 22nd 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Dan Connelly

Sandy wrote:
What's with all this soft, languid, feminine, vocal style with Americans?
The guys seem to like to let the end of sentences rise upwards, like little
girls asking questions, not like making statements.
I think that style, if it could not be corrected, would make me look for
another expert.
Wusses, the majority.

It's a California thing. From New York, sentences are generally ended with "and do you have a problem with THAT?"
Old May 22nd 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Sandy wrote:

What's with all this soft, languid, feminine, vocal style with Americans?
The guys seem to like to let the end of sentences rise upwards, like little
girls asking questions, not like making statements.

Its something you get used to if you've spent any time in there. They also
repeatedly say OK with a weird elongated pronunciation of the O.

Old May 22nd 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Curtis L. Russell

On Tue, 22 May 2007 18:05:11 +0200, "Sandy" wrote:

What's with all this soft, languid, feminine, vocal style with Americans?
The guys seem to like to let the end of sentences rise upwards, like little
girls asking questions, not like making statements.

We're slowly going tonal. And anal. The jury is out whether it will
end up anally tonal or tonally anal.

And try to say THAT with a lilt...

But, seriously, this is California we're talking about. Landis wanted
the trial there because he figured most people in California associate
doping with only one substance. You're just hearing the end result of
years of trying to get mellow.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old May 22nd 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Sandy

Dans le message de t,
Dan Connelly a réfléchi, et puis a
déclaré :
Sandy wrote:
What's with all this soft, languid, feminine, vocal style with
Americans? The guys seem to like to let the end of sentences rise
upwards, like little girls asking questions, not like making
statements. I think that style, if it could not be corrected, would make
me look
for another expert.
Wusses, the majority.

It's a California thing. From New York, sentences are generally
ended with "and do you have a problem with THAT?"

I think I get it.
East Coast - scheisskopf
West Coast - Dumbass

Old May 22nd 07, 08:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On May 22, 12:05 pm, "Sandy" wrote:
What's with all this soft, languid, feminine, vocal style with Americans?
The guys seem to like to let the end of sentences rise upwards, like little
girls asking questions, not like making statements.
I think that style, if it could not be corrected, would make me look for
another expert.
Wusses, the majority.

Incidentally, Atty Young does this a little, but after all, he is asking
questions, so it's a little more natural.
--
Bonne route !

Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

What are you talking about?

Old May 22nd 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Curtis L. Russell

On Tue, 22 May 2007 21:10:39 +0200, "Sandy" wrote:

I think I get it.
East Coast - scheisskopf
West Coast - Dumbass

Um, well, OK. I don't actually live near the water, so its not like
I'm on the coast.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old May 22nd 07, 09:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On May 22, 12:05 pm, "Sandy" wrote:
What's with all this soft, languid, feminine, vocal style with Americans?
The guys seem to like to let the end of sentences rise upwards, like little
girls asking questions, not like making statements.
I think that style, if it could not be corrected, would make me look for
another expert.
Wusses, the majority.

Incidentally, Atty Young does this a little, but after all, he is asking
questions, so it's a little more natural.
--
Bonne route !

Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

You pick up on the details, Mons Ferret! Remember, that's where the
devil is.

That rising inflection, colloquially referred to as a 'waszzat?',
indicates an implied post comment, as in, "..., waszzat, asshole?" So
you see, what might not seem like a question, is, after all.

Old May 22nd 07, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Jay Hill

Curtis L. Russell wrote:
On Tue, 22 May 2007 18:05:11 +0200, "Sandy" wrote:

What's with all this soft, languid, feminine, vocal style with Americans?
The guys seem to like to let the end of sentences rise upwards, like little
girls asking questions, not like making statements.

We're slowly going tonal. And anal. The jury is out whether it will
end up anally tonal or tonally anal.

That Valley Girl questioning-type rise has been going on for decades,
and it's gaining use through American English in general. It's been
commented on fairly often by better news sources, such as NPR, and in
academic papers. I'm not sure what label for it is gaining traction,
though.

I like to think I'm objective about something like that, but I do get
embarrassed when I hear a male do it.