If Johnny Cochran Was Still Here...

Old May 23rd 07, 03:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

Default If Johnny Cochran Was Still Here...

On May 23, 9:51 am, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article ,
Doug Taylor wrote:

On 22 May 2007 22:05:51 -0700, wimpyVO2 wrote:

...he'd say, "If the batch doesn't fit, you must acquit."

Dr. Simon Davis made LNDD look bad today. Test results with missing or
batch numbers out of sequence. Magnets placed where they aren't
supposed to be, skewing the ion field. A manual which says to operate
at 2 to 4 x 10-6 mbar, Mongongue operates it at 6 x 10-6. Pressures
that vary from sample to sample.

Reminds me of high school chemistry. Just mix stuff until you get the
"right" result.

There you go. Perfect analogy: O.J. and Floyd

1) Obviously guilty perp.

2) Perp's personal explanation of what "really" happened utterly
absurd.

3) Perp lawyers-up with high paid suits to obfuscate the facts and the
science.

4) Character assassination of witnesses.

5) Big time publicity campaign to sway credulous public opinion.

6) Partisan shills jumping on the bandwagon.

This is the FACT: Anyone who NEEDS a lawyer like Johnny Cochran to
"get them off" is guilty as sin, and if they get off, they'll be
respected among people with brains just about as much as O.J. is now.

Were that it were so. The fun part of medical lab testing is the number*
of innocent people getting cleared these days by DNA evidence, in some
cases springing them from jail.

I'm pretty sure all those people NEEDED a lawyer like Johnny Cochran,
they just didn't have one.

Or the Duke lacrosse players, for a more recent example of a group of
people whose lives were nearly ruined by overzealous prosecution.

I should say that, while it doesn't matter a whit, I'd bet on OJ's
guilt. I didn't follow the trial closely. However, post-trial interviews
with some jurors suggested that they found problems with the timeline
the most compelling evidence in favor of Mr. Simpson.

*small relative to the number of people in prison, sure, but not a
trivial number by any means.

--
Ryan Cousineau /
to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos- Hide quoted text -

Hey Ryan
I agree with you that OJ was most likely guilty and wish that he had
been convicted properly. Given the conduct of the cops in the case I'm
really happy that he walked. It's incredibly unlikely IMO that he'll
repeat and the system out there was, and very well may still be,
seriously messed up.
Like you said lots of people really need good agressive lawyers with
the money to really dig into things and don't have them. Over the last
several years there's been a ton of problems here with getting lawyers
to do public defender stuff because the State is paying peanuts and
they end up waiting a long time for even that. I'd have to look it up,
or maybe Brian knows offhand, but I thought that rather than increase
the payments they came up with something to force them to do it.
That's not exactly gonna make them want to really fight for their
clients. There are some really good Defenders out here though, but
they are massively overworked and I have to wonder how long before
they burn out.
Bill C