Hard Shell Panniers w. Locks?

Old August 13th 08, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Papa Tom

Default Hard Shell Panniers w. Locks?

I'm starting to use one of my bikes a lot for local errands and to ride to
dinner with my wife. The cheap nylon panniers I've been using are quickly
deteriorating. Plus, they do not provide any security for the contents.

Can anybody recommend a SPECIFIC locking, hard-shelled pannier for light
grocery shopping and safe storage of my cell phone, mp3 player, and some
other small gadgets? Weight is insignificant, as this is my "slow bike"
anyway.

Thanks!

Old August 13th 08, 05:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Aug 13, 10:39*am, "Papa Tom" wrote:
I'm starting to use one of my bikes a lot for local errands and to ride to
dinner with my wife. *The cheap nylon panniers I've been using are quickly
deteriorating. *Plus, they do not provide any security for the contents..

Can anybody recommend a SPECIFIC locking, hard-shelled pannier for light
grocery shopping and safe storage of my cell phone, mp3 player, and some
other small gadgets? *Weight is insignificant, as this is my "slow bike"
anyway.

This box from Nashbar looks interesting if you can find a way to lock
it to your bike.

http://tinyurl.com/63aq9g

A cable though the handle should suffice in low crime areas--that's
what I do with my nylon jobbers here, but I don't leave anything short
of a flat kit in them.
Old August 13th 08, 10:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Aug 13, 10:39*am, "Papa Tom" wrote:

Can anybody recommend a SPECIFIC locking, hard-shelled pannier for light
grocery shopping and safe storage of my cell phone, mp3 player, and some
other small gadgets? *Weight is insignificant, as this is my "slow bike"
anyway.

The stock bags from a GL1000 aren't much (,if anything, but frankly,
no-one does anymore,) to write home about and they would be
quite difficult to bodge into place, but if you can stand to jabber
about carbs and ignition timing with nerds for a few hours, they're
probably free. Lots of dudes are making stripper bikes and just
chucking the bags. And the fairing: so if you're really perverted
you could add some 30-50kg to your bicycle.

The locks tend to be decent, but the weather-tight-ness is suspect,
at best. Also, they would look ridiculous, but that might scare off
some of the cagier cholos, so win-win?
Old August 14th 08, 04:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bob prohaska's usenet account

Papa Tom wrote:
Can anybody recommend a SPECIFIC locking, hard-shelled pannier for light
grocery shopping and safe storage of my cell phone, mp3 player, and some
other small gadgets? Weight is insignificant, as this is my "slow bike"
anyway.

Since you say "weight is insignificant" maybe it's worth looking at
http://www.giviusa.com/caschi_borse_...ri.asp?lang=en

I have a trio of cases, one 52 liter and a couple of 38's, which mix
and match very nicely among the three motorcycles equipped with mount
plates. It wouldn't be too hard to mount one or more ex250 baseplates
on a bike's rack. They'd be kind big on a bicycle, but they'd work.

bob prohaska

Old August 14th 08, 07:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Squat'n Dive

On 13 Á×Ç, 18:39, "Papa Tom" wrote:
I'm starting to use one of my bikes a lot for local errands and to ride to
dinner with my wife. šThe cheap nylon panniers I've been using are quickly
deteriorating. šPlus, they do not provide any security for the contents..

Can anybody recommend a SPECIFIC locking, hard-shelled pannier for light
grocery shopping and safe storage of my cell phone, mp3 player, and some
other small gadgets? šWeight is insignificant, as this is my "slow bike"
anyway.

In the US? You must be joking, right?
You'dl look so much un Armstrongish.
Old August 14th 08, 12:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://www.wcfanshop.com/servlet/the...Pannier/Detail
Old August 14th 08, 01:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Papa Tom

I've seen THOSE kinds of panniers on motorcycles. I think they may be a
little TOO heavy, and might screw with the balance of the bike. I guess I
shouldn't have said that weight is not an issue. It's just not a BIG issue!

Thanks for the link, though. Those are along the lines of what I'm looking
for, but I wonder if there's a lighter material?

Old August 14th 08, 01:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Papa Tom

http://www.wcfanshop.com/servlet/the...Pannier/Detail

A couple of people have recommended this one. Kind of pricey, but it looks
like the one most suitable for my needs.

Thanks!

Old August 14th 08, 03:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Aug 14, 7:08*am, "Papa Tom" wrote:
http://www.wcfanshop.com/servlet/the...-Rear-Pannier/...

A couple of people have recommended this one. *Kind of pricey, but it looks
like the one most suitable for my needs.

Thanks!

Should be the same as the "City Box" Pannier from Nashbar, for $40
less.
Old August 14th 08, 03:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Papa Tom

Should be the same as the "City Box" Pannier from Nashbar, for $40
less.

Yes, I noticed that as soon as I brought up the photo. Thanks for being the
first to respond to my question and for steering me in the right direction.
I will check a local bicycle store to see if retailers are carrying it. (I
don't like to buy things sight unseen.)