New belt for old rollers?

Old February 22nd 10, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Fullerton Bike Rider (Colin Campbell)

Default New belt for old rollers?

I have the inexpensive (okay, cheap) Performance Technique rollers,
which have been gathering dust for about 15 years. Now a friend would
like to use them.

The belt is in one piece, and seems to work, but I cannot imagine it
will last for long if she gives the rollers serious use. The drums
are 4.5" diameter poly items. Current Performance products have
smaller diameter drums. I'm wondering whether a Kreitler 4.5" roller
belt (72" long by 1/4") would work as a replacement?

If so, I'm wondering where to get one. Performance lists the part for
$19.95, but it is "Out of Stock".
Old February 22nd 10, 12:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 22 Feb, 00:22, "Fullerton Bike Rider (Colin Campbell)"
wrote:
I have the inexpensive (okay, cheap) Performance Technique rollers,
which have been gathering dust for about 15 years. *Now a friend would
like to use them.

The belt is in one piece, and seems to work, but I cannot imagine it
will last for long if she gives the rollers serious use. *The drums
are 4.5" diameter poly items. *Current Performance products have
smaller diameter drums. *I'm wondering whether a Kreitler 4.5" roller
belt (72" long by 1/4") would work as a replacement?

If so, I'm wondering where to get one. *Performance lists the part for
$19.95, but it is "Out of Stock".

"Rubber (stock) suppliers" ?
Old February 22nd 10, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Fullerton Bike Rider (Colin Campbell)

On Feb 21, 4:22 pm, "Fullerton Bike Rider (Colin Campbell)"
wrote:
I have the inexpensive (okay, cheap) Performance Technique rollers,
which have been gathering dust for about 15 years. Now a friend would
like to use them.

The belt is in one piece, and seems to work, but I cannot imagine it
will last for long if she gives the rollers serious use. The drums
are 4.5" diameter poly items. Current Performance products have
smaller diameter drums. I'm wondering whether a Kreitler 4.5" roller
belt (72" long by 1/4") would work as a replacement?

If so, I'm wondering where to get one. Performance lists the part for
$19.95, but it is "Out of Stock".

I looked at Kreitler's site, and they also have a 72" by 3/16" belt
listed as being for Kreitler units 20+ years old. The existing belt
looks to be that size.
Old February 22nd 10, 01:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
I have the inexpensive (okay, cheap) Performance Technique rollers,
which have been gathering dust for about 15 years. *Now a friend would
like to use them.

The belt is in one piece, and seems to work, but I cannot imagine it
will last for long if she gives the rollers serious use. *The drums
are 4.5" diameter poly items. *Current Performance products have
smaller diameter drums. *I'm wondering whether a Kreitler 4.5" roller
belt (72" long by 1/4") would work as a replacement?

If so, I'm wondering where to get one. *Performance lists the part for
$19.95, but it is "Out of Stock".

I looked at Kreitler's site, and they also have a 72" by 3/16" belt
listed as being for Kreitler units 20+ years old. *The existing belt
looks to be that size.

Excuse me, but "looks to be"... does that mean you measured the
diameter with a measuring instrument?

If that old belt isn't cracked and still has a little stretch in it,
you're probably good to go. I have one that is ??? years old and still
works (I think-- well, as of 6 months or so ago it did).

Kreitler invites orders via phone, if your friendly local bike shop
doesn't carry roller belts.
--D-y
Old February 22nd 10, 01:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

wrote:
I have the inexpensive (okay, cheap) Performance Technique rollers,
which have been gathering dust for about 15 years. *Now a friend would
like to use them.

The belt is in one piece, and seems to work, but I cannot imagine it
will last for long if she gives the rollers serious use. *The drums
are 4.5" diameter poly items. *Current Performance products have
smaller diameter drums. *I'm wondering whether a Kreitler 4.5" roller
belt (72" long by 1/4") would work as a replacement?

If so, I'm wondering where to get one. *Performance lists the part for
$19.95, but it is "Out of Stock".

Measure the belt and see if you can get one of the generic
replacements offerred by many of the online retailers. Google "roller
belt" and you'll see what I mean. The old Tackx belt would probably
fit, too. The Kreitler belt is going to be the most expensive thing
you can buy. -- Jay Beattie.
Old February 22nd 10, 02:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kerry Montgomery

"Fullerton Bike Rider (Colin Campbell)" wrote in
message
I have the inexpensive (okay, cheap) Performance Technique rollers,
which have been gathering dust for about 15 years. Now a friend would
like to use them.

The belt is in one piece, and seems to work, but I cannot imagine it
will last for long if she gives the rollers serious use. The drums
are 4.5" diameter poly items. Current Performance products have
smaller diameter drums. I'm wondering whether a Kreitler 4.5" roller
belt (72" long by 1/4") would work as a replacement?

If so, I'm wondering where to get one. Performance lists the part for
$19.95, but it is "Out of Stock".

Colin,
Or you can source o-ring material in the correct diameter and length and
glue the ends together with super glue. Cut the ends at a shallow angle (30
degrees?).
Kerry

Old February 22nd 10, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Fullerton Bike Rider (Colin Campbell) wrote:
I have the inexpensive (okay, cheap) Performance Technique rollers,
which have been gathering dust for about 15 years. Now a friend would
like to use them.

The belt is in one piece, and seems to work, but I cannot imagine it
will last for long if she gives the rollers serious use. The drums
are 4.5" diameter poly items. Current Performance products have
smaller diameter drums. I'm wondering whether a Kreitler 4.5" roller
belt (72" long by 1/4") would work as a replacement?

If so, I'm wondering where to get one. Performance lists the part for
$19.95, but it is "Out of Stock".

A standard poly roller belt should not be over $20 and
usually less at any competent LBS. Rubber belts don't last
as long, similar price.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old February 22nd 10, 02:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Kerry Montgomery wrote:
Or you can source o-ring material in the correct diameter and length and
glue the ends together with super glue. Cut the ends at a shallow angle (30
degrees?).

Super glue on rubber or Viton? Did you do that successfully?

The superior poly belts just melt together at the seam with
a cigarette lighter.

Old February 22nd 10, 04:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Fullerton Bike Rider (Colin Campbell)

OK, thanks everyone - looks like this won't be a big problem. I'll
check the LBS tomorrow.
Old February 22nd 10, 04:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kerry Montgomery

Kerry Montgomery wrote:
Or you can source o-ring material in the correct diameter and length and
glue the ends together with super glue. Cut the ends at a shallow angle
(30 degrees?).

Super glue on rubber or Viton? Did you do that successfully?

The superior poly belts just melt together at the seam with a cigarette
lighter.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Andrew,
Yep, on rubber. Just looked at the belt again - it's at least 20 years old
(not many miles on it in the last 10 years, though). The glue joint still
looks fine. May not be o-ring material - it has a mold (extrusion?) line
along the center of each side. It was purchased cheaply from a hardware
store.
Kerry

What is a 'bike belt'? [email protected] General 13 September 2nd 05 04:14 PM
WTB: replacement belt for rollers John Lansdowe Marketplace 0 June 27th 05 09:51 PM
FS Accurex II with new t31 belt dwall Marketplace 1 March 9th 05 03:12 PM
SS Belt Drive? supabonbon Techniques 39 November 18th 04 09:53 PM
training wheels for rollers revisited -- front roller placement, steel pipe rollers F1 Techniques 1 November 25th 03 04:46 PM