Wide saddles that aren't soft and mushy

Old May 25th 04, 04:16 PM
maxo

Default Wide saddles that aren't soft and mushy

On Tue, 25 May 2004 10:12:38 +0000, Baka Dasai wrote:

So is there something of a similar shape, width and firmness to a Brooks
B17, but isn't a Brooks?

I ride a Brooks Champion Flyer, which is the B17 with springs. I've also
owned two plain B17s. My Flyer is brilliant, and the B17s were
comfortable, but I've experienced a much 'lighter" version of the
sensation that you mentioned. There's much at play: leather thickness,
saddle tension, and rider weight. I weigh 165-185 depending on the
season, and it seems that the B17 really likes riders to be under the
180lb mark since it's one of Brooks' saddles with thinner, but more easily
broken in leather.

Now if you don't weight as much as me, and are having this problem, I'd
say one of four things are happening: your sit bones are simply too
wide for the B17, too much proofhide, low saddle tension, or you're a
fairly sweaty rider (join the club :P) and the saddle gets moist and
distorts while you ride. I'd try giving the tension nut a couple turns to
tighten up the saddle--usually I recommend against folks messing with this
since it's easy to get over-eager and over tighten. Also check your saddle
angle, though it doesn't sound like this is a problem, I run mine pretty
much parallel to the ground.

Now if you're still having trouble, which is a likely bet, then moving to
a Brooks with a thicker cover/wider profile is a great alternative.
Alternately, if you can find an Ideale saddle (used, they're no
longer made)--they seem to have thicker covers.

The B72 is a little wider and thicker and might be your cup of tea. Also
have a look at the B33 which might be just the thing if you're a sturdier
rider. It's perhaps not the thing for longer rides and one look at its
springs might make you gasp--but I've ridden a few. Oh Boy! They're
Cadillacs! Think of all of the admiring glances.

There's quite a few models to choose from, have a browse:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/saddles.html

As far as something "like" a Brooks, I think you're out of luck, unless
you can find something vintage on eBay.

Good luck and don't give up on Brooks, it sounds like you just didn't get
the right saddle for you. The B17 might be "standard", but I'm a male, and
it's almost too narrow for my sit-bones--so it may be even less of a fit
for you.

Good Luck!

Old May 25th 04, 05:49 PM
Paul Southworth

In article ,
Baka Dasai wrote:
I'm looking for a new saddle. I'd like something that is quite
wide, but also quite firm. The problem appears to be that the only firm
saddles I can find are narrow, and the only ones wide enough are
soft mushy things.

I have been using a Brooks B17, but it just isn't working out. The B17
is very comfortable out of the box, but quickly forms deep depressions
under my sit bones, leaving a high center ridge that puts pressure in
delicate places. This process begins happening after just a few minutes
of riding, and after about a week of riding the depressions are deep
enough that the saddle gets uncomfortable. It just gets worse from that
point on. And no, the saddle has never gotten wet and has never known
any other treatment than the recommended amount of Proofide. This has
happened on two B17s in a row.

So is there something of a similar shape, width and firmness to a Brooks
B17, but isn't a Brooks?

You might consider the Avocet O2 Mens (not the Racing model) if you
want to try a fairly firm padded plastic-shell saddle.

--Paul

Old May 25th 04, 10:43 PM
Doug Cook

--
What was I thinking?

The Koobi Xenon has gone a long way in solving my saddle problems. It's
wide and firm. If you don't mind the ugly (IMO) color scheme, you can get a
returned red/white/black model at Nashbar for $30. It normally goes for
$110. That would at least let you see if the shape works for you before
laying out big bucks.

Old May 26th 04, 01:12 AM
S o r n i

Doug Cook wrote:
The Koobi Xenon has gone a long way in solving my saddle problems.
It's wide and firm. If you don't mind the ugly (IMO) color scheme,
you can get a returned red/white/black model at Nashbar for $30. It
normally goes for $110. That would at least let you see if the shape
works for you before laying out big bucks.

Their "Returns" section doesn't even list saddles (right now, at least).
Any hints where to look?

Bill "cause I still...haven't found...what I'm looking for" S.

Old May 26th 04, 03:52 AM
Doug Cook

" S o r n i" wrote in message
Doug Cook wrote:
The Koobi Xenon has gone a long way in solving my saddle problems.
It's wide and firm. If you don't mind the ugly (IMO) color scheme,
you can get a returned red/white/black model at Nashbar for $30. It
normally goes for $110. That would at least let you see if the shape
works for you before laying out big bucks.

Their "Returns" section doesn't even list saddles (right now, at least).
Any hints where to look?

Bill "cause I still...haven't found...what I'm looking for" S.

They must of run out. They were still listed about a week ago.

You can buy them directly from Koobi at www.koobi.com. The red is on sale
for $49 and the yellow for $69. Black and Blue are both $110, though.

Old May 26th 04, 09:00 PM
Harris

Baka Dasai wrote:
I'm looking for a new saddle. I'd like something that is quite
wide, but also quite firm. The problem appears to be that the only firm
saddles I can find are narrow, and the only ones wide enough are
soft mushy things.

How about a womens model? We won't tell.

Art Harris
Old May 26th 04, 09:18 PM
Paulmouk

"Baka Dasai" wrote in message
[...]

How about this?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ADME:B:LC:UK:1

Old May 30th 04, 12:50 AM

Baka Dasai wrote:

So is there something of a similar shape, width and firmness to a Brooks
B17, but isn't a Brooks?
--
What was I thinking?

Sheldon Brown has exactly what you want. This saddle is a very firm 7 on
mohs scale of hardness.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html

--
---
Eric Yagerlener
Old June 1st 04, 03:04 AM
dan baker

maxo wrote in message ...
On Tue, 25 May 2004 10:12:38 +0000, Baka Dasai wrote:

So is there something of a similar shape, width and firmness to a Brooks
B17, but isn't a Brooks?

The WTB saddles work for me.... fairly light, firm, and the mountain bike model is super comfy.