Virus

Old August 12th 03, 05:19 PM
Nelson Binch

Default Virus

I suspect somebody on this group has been infected with a virus. I received
an email containing a worm with the subject speaking of Disk Brakes, which
was caught and killed by my antivirus. It came via my
address, which is only used for newsgroups.

Time to update and scan, folks, especially with this Lovesan bug going
around.

---
__o
_`\(,_ Cycling is life,
(_)/ (_) all the rest, just details.
Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
http://intergalax.com

Old August 12th 03, 07:17 PM
Chris

"Merlin" wrote in message
. ..

And let us not forget the worm that exploits an RPC leak.

anybody happen to have a process running called msblast? how about
unexplained restarts?

http://www.bigblackglasses.com/Article.aspx?Article=342

i just got over a hit from it last night on two of my workstations.
cleaver little worm. without network/internet isolation, it is nearly
impossible to stop it long enough to patch the system.

I actually found the challenge quite entertaining. while doing research
online about it, it restarted my internet gateway system 50something
times. at least it was nice enough to give me a minute to bookmark the
pages i was reading.

and BTW, i was running the XP Internet Connection Firewall at the time.
guess it doesn't work as good as MS thinks it does. i lost my copy of
ZoneAlarm Pro so the ICF will have to suffice for now (with the addition
of the patch).
--
~Travis

http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

I had the same restart problem when connecting, called the ISP and was told
it was a Windows problem...so, in the forty-odd seconds I had before a
restart initiated, I saw MS recommended the firewall. I enabled it, and
well, it works so far.

I can't find msblast.exe on my box anywhere...is there a patch/fix somewhere
that you know of?

Chris

Old August 12th 03, 07:22 PM
Chris

"Chris" wrote in message
link.net...

I had the same restart problem when connecting, called the ISP and was

told
it was a Windows problem...so, in the forty-odd seconds I had before a
restart initiated, I saw MS recommended the firewall. I enabled it, and
well, it works so far.

I can't find msblast.exe on my box anywhere...is there a patch/fix

somewhere
that you know of?

Chris

Nevermind...I looked at your link, as I should have done in the first place,
at all is well.

Chris

Old August 12th 03, 09:44 PM
wanguard

"Nelson Binch" wrote in message
I suspect somebody on this group has been infected with a virus. I

received
an email containing a worm with the subject speaking of Disk Brakes, which
was caught and killed by my antivirus. It came via my
address, which is only used for newsgroups.

Time to update and scan, folks, especially with this Lovesan bug going
around.

---
__o
_`\(,_ Cycling is life,
(_)/ (_) all the rest, just details.
Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
http://intergalax.com

I started to get frequent messages today "svchost.exe has generated errors
....", after that copy, paste, some GUI actions where disabled etc. I found
following post and at the and there is a patch for it. Just install it, will
se if everything is OK.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper...621670.html#85
55880

D'amir

Old August 12th 03, 11:24 PM

And someone was bad mouthing web tv. Ha ha we don.t
get sick from Viruses

Fire up MTB 03

Old August 13th 03, 04:14 PM
M&M

"Chris" wrote in message hlink.net...
"Merlin" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

http://www.symantec.com They have the removal tool .

M&M
Old August 13th 03, 04:32 PM
bomba

M&M wrote:

http://www.symantec.com They have the removal tool .

Which is fine if you already have the virus, but will not prevent you
from getting infected in the first place. Prevention is always best, so
for those of you with XP or W2k, get the RPC patch from the M$ website

bomba - who's spent all day helping the LAN admin to cure the network...

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm