Campagnolo Cable question(s)? Jagwire?

Old January 1st 10, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ronko

Default Campagnolo Cable question(s)? Jagwire?

I have a bike with a 10 speed Campagnolo Chorus Group and want to
replace the cables. One LBS recommended Jagwire over Campagnolo
but said the Jag wire cable ends could get stuck in the Campy Ergo
shifters. I checked the Jagwire site out and they sell complete kits (2
Brake/2 Derailleur sets), but they also sell separate der. cables
specific for Campy. What exactly do I need and does Jagwire make
various quality levels of cables? And though a bit more expensive is it
best just to stay with Campagnolo cables?

Campagnolo has now gone to 11 speed on some groups and have
changed shifter cable from 4.5mm to 4mm, or is it the other way
around and what is the effect of this?

Clarity is a virtue and Happy New Year!

Old January 1st 10, 10:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Ronko wrote:
I have a bike with a 10 speed Campagnolo Chorus Group and want to
replace the cables. One LBS recommended Jagwire over Campagnolo
but said the Jag wire cable ends could get stuck in the Campy Ergo
shifters. I checked the Jagwire site out and they sell complete kits (2
Brake/2 Derailleur sets), but they also sell separate der. cables
specific for Campy. What exactly do I need and does Jagwire make
various quality levels of cables? And though a bit more expensive is it
best just to stay with Campagnolo cables?

Campagnolo has now gone to 11 speed on some groups and have
changed shifter cable from 4.5mm to 4mm, or is it the other way
around and what is the effect of this?

Clarity is a virtue and Happy New Year!

Jagwire 5 is good casing but yes get the correct (small)
head wires. And matching casing ferules.
Right, newer systems use smaller casing driven by bike
makers' request for less weight. No improvement but it is
lighter.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old January 1st 10, 10:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

Op 1-1-2010 21:53, Ronko schreef:
I have a bike with a 10 speed Campagnolo Chorus Group and want to
replace the cables. One LBS recommended Jagwire over Campagnolo
but said the Jag wire cable ends could get stuck in the Campy Ergo
shifters. I checked the Jagwire site out and they sell complete kits (2
Brake/2 Derailleur sets), but they also sell separate der. cables
specific for Campy. What exactly do I need and does Jagwire make
various quality levels of cables? And though a bit more expensive is it
best just to stay with Campagnolo cables?

Stay with what works for su Campagnolo. They make excellent cables
for a fair price.

Campagnolo has now gone to 11 speed on some groups and have
changed shifter cable from 4.5mm to 4mm, or is it the other way
around and what is the effect of this?

There is still a 10 speed cableset if I remember correctly.

Lou

Old January 2nd 10, 01:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Jan 1, 1:53*pm, Ronko wrote:
I have a bike with a 10 speed Campagnolo Chorus Group and want to
replace the cables. One LBS recommended Jagwire over Campagnolo
but said the Jag wire cable ends could get stuck in the Campy Ergo
shifters. I checked the Jagwire site out and they sell complete kits (2
Brake/2 Derailleur sets), but they also sell separate der. cables
specific for Campy. What exactly do I need and does Jagwire make
various quality levels of cables? And though a bit more expensive is it
best just to stay with Campagnolo cables?

Campagnolo has now gone to 11 speed on some groups and have
changed shifter cable from 4.5mm to 4mm, or is it the other way
around and what is the effect of this?

Clarity is a virtue and Happy New Year!

Jagwire does make small ended, Campagnolo compatible inner wires. We
use them all the time, great wires.

Use 5mm housing. Campagnolo 10s housing was 4.5mm, 11s is 4mm and new
Campagnolo cable kits are now all 4mm(no more '10s' and '11s', but use
a good lined 5mm der housing, like Jagwire!

If the LBS says that Jagwire can get stuck, they have shimano/sram
type.
Old January 2nd 10, 08:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ronko

In article 5fe0b1c2-9628-46f0-840d-
,
says...

On Jan 1, 1:53*pm, Ronko wrote:
[...]

Peter, If I'm understanding you correctly use the same 5mm housing for
both the shifter and derailleur cables? Will that fit ok into the Ergo shifters?
Thanks.

Old January 2nd 10, 10:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On Jan 1, 1:53 pm, Ronko wrote:
[...]

Gear casing is high-helix and used for gear systems. 5mm
casing is the most available, durable, fits your levers;
best choice I think. 4.5mm or 4mm may be used. By matching
metal not plastic ferrules and small head gear wires.

Do _not_ use gear casing for brakes. Brake casing is
spirallled in a low helix and hence withstands high loads
without splitting apart. Gear casing on a brake system is
unsafe.

Old January 3rd 10, 02:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Jan 1, 1:53*pm, Ronko wrote:
[...]

No. Der housing and brake housing are different but both xome in 5mm
widths.