Taiwanese recumbents

Old July 1st 03, 01:38 PM
Joshua Goldberg

Default Taiwanese recumbents

**************************************
A good one in place of Hurricane might be the "SLASHER" a) because it
contains my middle name Asher (not Slash) and b) because it implies a
cutting action as in cutting through the wind. (not bad eh)
***************************************
"rorschandt" wrote in message
30...
Ken Kobayashi wrote in
:

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 18:44:15 -0400, "Joshua Goldberg"
wrote:
Note: it might get a tad confusing using the Name "Hurricane" for one of
your China Mascot bents. Not sure about how legal it is either.
Challenge Recumbents makes a "Hurricane" model as well.

Yeah I thought that too. I don't think "Typhoon" is taken.

Schwinn. If that matters now. "Storm" is fine, too. How about "Monsoon"?
"Deluge"? or "Pouring Down Like a Cow ****ing on a Flat Rock"? Sort of

long
I guess...

Rorschandt
--
A HREF="mailto

Old July 1st 03, 09:56 PM
rorschandt

"Joshua Goldberg" wrote in
:

**************************************
A good one in place of Hurricane might be the "SLASHER" a) because it
contains my middle name Asher (not Slash) and b) because it
implies a cutting action as in cutting through the wind. (not bad eh)
***************************************

Cutting wind, eh? How about the "Fart". Fast,usually silent, and sometimes
deadly. When the new models,come out, you can advertise last year's models
as The Old Farts! Or it could be an acronym like, Father of All Recumbent
(some word beginning with T).

--Rorschandt
A HREF="mailto
Old July 1st 03, 09:56 PM
rorschandt

"Joshua Goldberg" wrote in
:

**************************************

Old July 2nd 03, 12:26 AM
Tom Sherman

harv wrote:

Yeah, all hundred and six of them. g

I doubt the combined production of ISO 305-mm/ISO 406-mm wheel size
lowracers is greater than 50. There are 18 Sunsets known to exist [1].
Does anyone have the number of Pharobike Lowfats and ISO 305-mm front
wheel Ross Festine were made?

[1] I believe that over half of them are in Illinois.

Old July 2nd 03, 12:55 AM
Tom Thompson

"Joshua Goldberg" wrote in message
Weird seeing my post from last year (below).
Note: it might get a tad confusing using the Name "Hurricane" for one of
your China Mascot bents. Not sure about how legal it is either.
Challenge Recumbents makes a "Hurricane" model as well.
I looked at the www.actionbent.com website and was impressed with an OSS @
only $645.00....this should sell well. Bent riders can be a tough group to
please, but $645.00 will soften up even the most critical in our group.
Didn't China Mascot release a Titanium Frame a few months ago?

Oh and I almost forgot "Best of Luck" in your bent venture.
---------------------------------------
I'm probably one of Randy's first customers. My Tidal Wave will jopin the

TE in the stable sometime early next week. SO far, Randy has been pleasant
and responsive to my questions, not to mention offering one of the best
deals on a SWB USS in the USA right now.

I'll post about the bike when it arrives and I get some seat time logged.
One of the reasons I bought it was its utter difference from my Tour Easy
and the potential of having a lightweight mid-hi BB climbing machine.

Tom Thompson

Old July 2nd 03, 06:26 AM
Zach Kaplan Cycles

Tom Sherman wrote in message ...
Randy Schulman wrote:
The other two are versions of what I call "The Hurricane" (liked the
sea-weather theme) ; One is an above-steering version of their PB960
with two major upgrades: A 20" front wheel instead of their 16" wheel; I
think tiny wheels are deadly....

You have just alienated the entire ownership of ISO 305-mm/ISO 406-mm
wheel lowracers owners.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities
Red Sunset and Blue Dragonflyer

I own a couple 305/406 wheeled low racers and don't feel alienated by
that statement. However just because one owns a Sunset doesn't mean it
is their prefered ride. My Sunset is collecting dust and I consider it
obsolete because my Bacchetta Aero with its dual 559 wheels is faster
on level ground, faster up hill, faster down hill, smoother riding,
better handling at high speeds, safer in traffic, lower rolling
resistance, lighter, has a more efficient drivetrain and is better
looking (all IMHO of course). As far as the wheel diameters go I'm
really becoming a believer in bigger is better. The small wheeled
compact lowracers like the Sunset only seem to have an advantage if
the rider is short or is trying to transport it inside a small
hatchback or a suitcase on an airplane.

My Sunset does also have an edge over my Aero for practical
transportation in terms of having a high capacity rear rack,
mudguards, fat tyre clearances and disc brakes. However for practical
transportation in the conditions where I'd need mudguards I prefer the
added safety and stability of a trike and for transportation in dense
urban areas I prefer the practicality and higher ride height of my HP
Velotechnik Street Machine GT which has a 406mm front wheel, 559mm
rear wheel and full suspension.

The Sunset is still a very high quality bike with many nice features
and was ahead of its time but I just don't see myself riding it much
anymore.

Zach Kaplan

Old July 2nd 03, 07:12 AM
Tom Sherman

Default Small Wheels (was: Taiwanese recumbents)

Randy Schulman wrote:
[...]

The comment about alienating small wheel lowracer owners was tongue in
cheek - our numbers are so small as to be of little concern to the
importer of bikes from what is presumably a high-volume factory.

Did you decide to use ISO 559-mm wheels on your Aero for tire
availability reasons, and do the brakes have enough adjustment to
properly compensate for the 6 mm difference in wheel radius?

Looks are subjective as I find the Aero a merely acceptable looking bike
except for the "tweener" handlebars, which I would replace with narrow
T-bars for aesthetic reasons if I bought one. I have also observed many
women reacting to the Sunset in a manner similar to the way they would
to a cute puppy or kitten which I do not see happening with an Aero.

I do transport my Sunset inside a small hatchback on a regular basis and
not having to do any assembly/disassembly is a positive attribute, as I
find assembling and disassembling bikes on a regular basis to be a major
PITA.

Small wheels have a psychological advantage as most upright riders as
consternated to find a bike with "kiddie wheels" going faster than they
are.

Finally, a lowracer will be more responsive than a highracer due to the
shorter vertical moment arm between the tire contact patches and the
center of gravity of the combined bike/rider. Whether or not this is an
advantage will depend entirely on rider preference.