Bike to Work Day 2018

Old May 11th 18, 11:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Bike to Work Day 2018

Since my office is now about 1/3 mile away, I rode with the spousal unit
to work. Stopped at two "Energizer Stations." I just don't know how
anyone can ride 9 miles to work without several stops for food and drinks.

Apple had a huge spread, with bagels, pastries, fruit, quiche, juice,
coffee, tea, and energy bars.

Kaiser was much less elaborate with just coffee and cinnamon rolls. The
City of Santa Clara had Hobee's coffee cake. Intel had some kind of
private event (there's a spur off the trail directly into their campus).
Very busy MUP but that route along San Tomas Aquino Trail is a very
major commute route to tech companies in Santa Clara and north San Jose
(Nvidia, Intel, Cisco, and many others), and is often busy. When I
worked in the same office complex where my wife now works, this trail
was not paved, but it was still used a lot as it was the best way under
US 101.

This is the map of Energizer Stations just for Santa Clara and San Mateo
counties: https://bikesiliconvalley.org/btwd/energizer-stations/
Old May 11th 18, 05:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 11 May 2018 03:29:48 -0700, sms
wrote:

Apple had a huge spread, with bagels, pastries, fruit, quiche, juice,
coffee, tea, and energy bars.
Kaiser was much less elaborate with just coffee and cinnamon rolls. The
City of Santa Clara had Hobee's coffee cake.

(...)

Your timing is horrible. I'm sitting here at the home computer doing
a 14 hr fast required before a blood draw and test. 4.5 more hours to
go and I'm starving to death. Mentioning food was the last thing I
needed. Grumble...

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old May 12th 18, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

Apple had a huge spread, with bagels, pastries, fruit, quiche, juice,
coffee, tea, and energy bars.
Kaiser was much less elaborate with just coffee and cinnamon rolls. The
City of Santa Clara had Hobee's coffee cake.

No microbrews anywhere? :-)

I wonder how I could participate in a bike-to-work day with the commute
path consisting of a 20ft hallway. Maybe wheel in the road bike, give
the cranks one rotation and then proclaim that I dunnit. However, no
energizers stations.

(...)

Your timing is horrible. I'm sitting here at the home computer doing
a 14 hr fast required before a blood draw and test. 4.5 more hours to
go and I'm starving to death. Mentioning food was the last thing I
needed. Grumble...

When I fasted for my last colon scan I didn't find that too tough. Could
have gone on with it for another day. Only the visits to the porcelain
department were annoying.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old May 15th 18, 10:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kristian M Zoerhoff

wrote:

Apple had a huge spread, with bagels, pastries, fruit, quiche, juice,
coffee, tea, and energy bars.
Kaiser was much less elaborate with just coffee and cinnamon rolls. The
City of Santa Clara had Hobee's coffee cake.

No microbrews anywhere? :-)

I wonder how I could participate in a bike-to-work day with the commute
path consisting of a 20ft hallway. Maybe wheel in the road bike, give
the cranks one rotation and then proclaim that I dunnit. However, no
energizers stations.

I'd trade that for my 26-mile commute. I'm not sure which would be tougher:
climbing up 84 to Pigeon Pass, or the ride down Niles Canyon Rd at rush hour.

--

Kristian M Zoerhoff
Old May 16th 18, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

Apple had a huge spread, with bagels, pastries, fruit, quiche, juice,
coffee, tea, and energy bars.
Kaiser was much less elaborate with just coffee and cinnamon rolls. The
City of Santa Clara had Hobee's coffee cake.

No microbrews anywhere? :-)

I wonder how I could participate in a bike-to-work day with the commute
path consisting of a 20ft hallway. Maybe wheel in the road bike, give
the cranks one rotation and then proclaim that I dunnit. However, no
energizers stations.

I'd trade that for my 26-mile commute.

Become self-employed, then you can :-)

... I'm not sure which would be tougher:
climbing up 84 to Pigeon Pass, or the ride down Niles Canyon Rd at rush hour.

If you do that on a more or less daily basis, my hat goes off to you. I
know only one other cyclist who did that in the UK, rain or shine.

Or take the train:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrvHWYrSxC0

Old May 18th 18, 07:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kristian M Zoerhoff

wrote:

Apple had a huge spread, with bagels, pastries, fruit, quiche, juice,
coffee, tea, and energy bars.
Kaiser was much less elaborate with just coffee and cinnamon rolls. The
City of Santa Clara had Hobee's coffee cake.

No microbrews anywhere? :-)

I wonder how I could participate in a bike-to-work day with the commute
path consisting of a 20ft hallway. Maybe wheel in the road bike, give
the cranks one rotation and then proclaim that I dunnit. However, no
energizers stations.

I'd trade that for my 26-mile commute.

Become self-employed, then you can :-)

... I'm not sure which would be tougher:
climbing up 84 to Pigeon Pass, or the ride down Niles Canyon Rd at rush hour.

If you do that on a more or less daily basis, my hat goes off to you. I
know only one other cyclist who did that in the UK, rain or shine.

I was never in good enough shape to do it, the mere thought horrifies me now :-)
I would go via Pleasnton and Sunol instead, then on into Niles Canyon.

--

Kristian M Zoerhoff
Old May 19th 18, 03:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-05-15 14:45, Kristian M Zoerhoff wrote:

[...]

... I'm not sure which would be tougher:
climbing up 84 to Pigeon Pass, or the ride down Niles Canyon Rd at rush hour.

If you do that on a more or less daily basis, my hat goes off to you. I
know only one other cyclist who did that in the UK, rain or shine.

I was never in good enough shape to do it, the mere thought horrifies me now :-)
I would go via Pleasnton and Sunol instead, then on into Niles Canyon.

In Niles Canyon they should allow mountain bikers next to the rail line
which is what they do here. I can go to Placerville and Folsom on
singletrack, meandering near an old rail line that is only used on
Sundays by slow excursion trains. If that wasn't in place I would never
go to Placerville by bicycle and hardly anyone else would either. Now we
even have a bike shop right on that trail.

Old May 23rd 18, 02:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2018-05-15 14:45, Kristian M Zoerhoff wrote:

[...]

... I'm not sure which would be tougher:
climbing up 84 to Pigeon Pass, or the ride down Niles Canyon Rd at rush hour.

If you do that on a more or less daily basis, my hat goes off to you. I
know only one other cyclist who did that in the UK, rain or shine.

I was never in good enough shape to do it, the mere thought horrifies me now :-)
I would go via Pleasnton and Sunol instead, then on into Niles Canyon.

In Niles Canyon they should allow mountain bikers next to the rail line
which is what they do here. I can go to Placerville and Folsom on
singletrack, meandering near an old rail line that is only used on
Sundays by slow excursion trains. If that wasn't in place I would never
go to Placerville by bicycle and hardly anyone else would either. Now we
even have a bike shop right on that trail.

If it weren't for the rustic trails next to rail lines, I'd never make it to work. https://dogcaught.com/wp-content/upl...MG_4538-21.jpg (steam engines only during the holiday season).

I was zooming up that trail with my son this morning, and someone jumped in our draft. No greeting. Nothing. I was going to slam on my brakes, but my son hit the after-burners, and we dumped him. Going over the Hawthorne and merging with on-coming bike traffic was hairy. An on-ramp is needed. Welcome to the morning Cat 7 PDX criterium.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 23rd 18, 04:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-05-15 14:45, Kristian M Zoerhoff wrote:

[...]

[...]

Nice!

I was zooming up that trail with my son this morning, and someone
jumped in our draft. No greeting. Nothing. I was going to slam on my
brakes, but my son hit the after-burners, and we dumped him.

I feel uncomfortable when someone is drafting me. Though I'd never slam
the brakes and cause a crash. Either I gradually slow down or speed up
but putting on the coals has limits by now, not getting any younger.

... Going
over the Hawthorne and merging with on-coming bike traffic was hairy.
An on-ramp is needed. Welcome to the morning Cat 7 PDX criterium.

The only times I experienced bike jams or excessively dense bike traffic
was in the Netehrlands and then here on the American River bike trail
during rush hour. So now I avoid rush hour. OTOH its much worse in the
car because while having to ride slower than usual I saw Hwy 50 being a
bumper-to-bumper crawl.

Old May 23rd 18, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/23/2018 8:07 AM, Joerg wrote:

snip

The only times I experienced bike jams or excessively dense bike traffic
was in the Netehrlands and then here on the American River bike trail
during rush hour. So now I avoid rush hour. OTOH its much worse in the
car because while having to ride slower than usual I saw Hwy 50 being a
bumper-to-bumper crawl.

The first time I experienced a bike jam was in Beijing in 1987. As long
as you went with the flow, slow, and made no sudden movements or stops,
you were fine.

The jams now that I see have been on a local MUP in the evening. This
MUP runs from he area around Google and Microsoft out to the south to
Mountain View and Sunnyvale. These are fast moving bicycles and side
trails that lead into the main trail have to yield to the fast moving
traffic.

Bicycle Wheel Building Workshop - Saturday 17 March 2018 in Cambridge [email protected] UK 0 February 17th 18 11:02 AM
Road Tolls 2018 Simon Jester UK 4 January 1st 18 07:20 PM
2018 Giro Davey Crockett[_14_] Racing 0 December 29th 17 04:29 AM
our work bike to work pic. max General 3 May 19th 08 11:31 AM
Bike to work day [email protected] General 0 May 19th 06 09:30 PM