Interior bike rack in a 2003 Toyota 4Runner

Old October 20th 03, 06:04 AM
Amod K

Default Interior bike rack in a 2003 Toyota 4Runner

Anyone have any ideas how to fit a couple of mountain bikes inside a
2003 Toyota 4Runenr?

Thanks

Old October 20th 03, 09:10 PM
Pookerz

Try: http://www.rackwarehouse.com/ They seem to have a decent selection of
racks for inside and out. I've never bought from them, just websurfed to
them.
Thule used to make an interior mount rack for vans and SUV's. Seems to be
discontinued...

Most of the interior racks require rear seat removal (or folding them away.)
If I were putting two mountain bikes inside my 96 4Runner, I'd leave the
seats up, remove the front wheels from both bikes, and put them in laying
down with a thick blanket between them or standing up, whichever way they
fit best. I can foresee problems with the pedals/cranks getting tangled
without a blanket between them. I really have no way to remove or fold my
seats down, unless we removed the kids first BG

Word of warning though, if you have to drill through anything to install
something like that, you'll likely void some sort of warranty on your
vehicle. In other words, seal your holes well with a weather proofing
material so you don't get rust prematurely.

Personally, I would not want my bikes inside, for numerous reasons (space
being one of them.) I would recommend a hitch mounted rack, even if you
don't need a hitch for towing. It keeps the bikes low, so you can still go
through drive up windows, and does not risk your paint job or denting your
body the way temporary trunk-mount racks do. Rear visibility is not really
affected much. It is also easier to use, making packing and unpacking for
rides quicker, as there's no wheel removal or need to adjust the bike
smaller. I see only two drawbacks... One is accessing the rear cargo area,
which is easy to work around by lowering the back glass (I have no idea if
the 03 models do that) or reaching in from the back seat. The other is the
possibility of theft with the bikes on an external rack. If that's a worry,
there are locking devices around. I wouldn't worry too much about the bikes
being outside if they're locked, because any thief who wants them bad enough
will take them no matter what you do.
Dee

--

Note: please remove all pre-flight tags before replying via email.
----------

Old October 21st 03, 04:16 AM
Wolfgang

4Rnr inside is not really conducive to interior bike rack --
Honda Element or the Nissan Xterra are more designed for
that. Why not one that fits in the rear hitch receiver? --
I've seen some that actually fold down so you still can open
the hatch. I think putting on roof is pain getting them up
there plus it raises your center of gravity -- and we all
know the results of that on an SUV.

Old December 10th 03, 04:01 AM
mark

Hmmm,
make your own and use the cargo tie downs in the rear deck to hold it in
place?

--
mark
Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend.

Old December 10th 03, 07:50 PM
Phil

"mark" wrote in message ...
Hmmm,
make your own and use the cargo tie downs in the rear deck to hold it in
place?

I simply made a cheesy base out of scrap 2x4s then attached fork lock
downs to it. The Yakima fork locks cost about $20 each. You can buy
an interior rack, my parents have one they use in their minivan. I
don't recall who makes it, but it was ordered through a CarQuest
store. You would need to check the spacing and posistion of the lock
downs on something like that to make sure it would work in your
vehicle.

My rack doesn't look the greatest but few people ever see it. My
parent's rack has straps on it that go out the back under the hatch
and can attach to a hitch or something underneath. I should do
something like that or use the cargo hold downs for mine. It's stable
enough, but the bikes could be dangerous in an accident.

I see no reason why they wouldn't fit in a 2003 4Runner. I have a
2000 4Runner which I believe is smaller and 2 bikes fit just fine,
with plenty of room left over for cargo.

Old December 11th 03, 02:05 AM
Chris Neary

I simply made a cheesy base out of scrap 2x4s then attached fork lock
downs to it. The Yakima fork locks cost about $20 each. You can buy
an interior rack, my parents have one they use in their minivan. I
don't recall who makes it, but it was ordered through a CarQuest
store. You would need to check the spacing and posistion of the lock
downs on something like that to make sure it would work in your
vehicle.

One of the nice features of using a manufactured base for your fork locks
vs. a handy 2 X 4 is the manufactured product often is designed so the fork
locks can be easily slid to position them on the base as needed.

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

posting problems, or contact the moderators, please see
http://rbor.org/

Old December 11th 03, 04:02 PM
Kamus of Kadizhar

http://www.biketote.com

--
What am I on?
I'm on my bike, o__

rear hitch bike rack curt General 12 March 18th 04 10:55 PM
Pannier bag on top of rack Michael General 1 October 20th 03 01:40 AM