Does anyone know good thorn-resistant tubes?

Old May 14th 20, 10:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Does anyone know good thorn-resistant tubes?

On 2020-04-30 21:24, wrote:
On Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 3:03:19 PM UTC-7, Joerg
wrote:
Just had a Kenda thorn-resistant tube fail. It lost
pressure
suddenly and overnight without being ridden the day
before. It
started to split along a factory seam. This seems to
happen ever
since they started making them less than the usual 3mm
thick
towards the rim.

Does anyone know who still makes the real stuff, 3mm
thick all
around? Or maybe another good version thorn-resistant
tube? I am
running 700c 25mm tires with an additional tire liner
in there.
Might go to 28mm in back some day.

The only time I ever lost 3mm all-around tubes was
upon violent
tire blow-outs (sidewall failure).

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Joerg, you sure must be one hell of a rider in terrible
conditions.

Not really. I use my bicycles not much differently than
my car.
"Pavement ends" is not a reason for me to give up and
turn around. On
the contrary:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/23...g?v=1587241131

Today I had a large cut in my tubeless tire and that
was the last
straw. It is just too messy to use and fix out on the
roads. Back to
tubes and clinchers.

I think that's a wise decision. It you'd add a tire
liner that's even
better. Two of us three riders yesterday have liners,
one doesn't. Guess
who got a goat's head flat ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

I talked to a friend that does a lot of your type of
riding and he said
that you can buy tubes that have removable presta valves
in them and you
can shoot Orange or Stan's Racing sealant into them and
pretty much end flat tires.

The sealant in a tube I’ve used a few times over the
years, I’ve always
given up since they only seal very small holes, I’ve
always found they
puncture quite easily, make a right mess and not seal!

Yup. I used the slime stuff years ago. One fine day I had
slow leaks and barely got home. Next morning I found a mess
in the garage under the MTB. Same with other riders. No more
of that stuff.

Tubeless you can seal with those kits roadside apparently,
with both valves
will clog if one doesn’t clean or take care.

I found that switching to mildly less racy tyres on the
gravel bike solved
stopped the bike being a puncture magnet, and feels just
as fast/lively
etc.

For me it's "thicker is better". To hell with weight-weenie
concerns. Tire surface, tire liner, 3-4mm wall thickness in
the tube. That requires a hell of a goat's head to punch
through. On the MTB there is another tube around the tire
liner, gives extra protection and prevents chafing.

Of course, my dream would be some stuff I could fill the
tire with, no more air. However, that would envirnmentally
not be too good.

Have a talk with your local Bobcat or construction equipment dealer:
https://www.americanindustrialtire.com/foamfilled.htm

If flats are a critical factor for you, there are several technologies
available. No matter how frequent your flats are, running around over
construction debris all day is worse.

Someone had mentioned it here a while ago and I inquired. Unfortunately
that stuff is only sold in humongous quantities. I guess it only makes
sense if you own a serious bulldozer.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

There was some sort of tire advertisement in that shop and the tires had some thick blue rubber under the normal tread. They were poked full of tacks and none of them punctured the tire. It was some sort of commuter tire.
Old May 14th 20, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

That’s the Marathon plus range, they do also do road range, I’ve used them
and family from 25mm to 55mm they do what you’d expect, ie long life and
near bomb proof, ie broken glass is a none issue and so on.

Roger Merriman

Old May 15th 20, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
[...]

That's the name I was trying to remember.
Old May 15th 20, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

That's the manufacturer link (one of many). What you want
is a local
dealer who sells tire fill as a service.

Yeah, but if they don't hear the loud rumble of a big Diesel
engine and instead see a puny road bike they'll just laugh
their head off :-)

That was similar when I went to a Timken-Torrington dealer
in Belgium back in the days, to buy a few ball bearings so I
can make a bottom bracket that lasts longer than the usual
junk. They laughed pretty good but finally had mercy and
sold some to me despite not having a business account (which
would also have required a matching business license).

Same thing, really.

A standard pack of 1/4" chrome steel balls in grade 25 is 4000 pieces in
one matched sealed lot. That's what bearing makers sell in the same way
that tire fill makers sell drum of this or drum of that.

I've known riders who went with foam fill and had it installed at a
Bobcat dealer for a moderate price. Not to my taste, but it's just not
all that difficult or unusual a thing.

Interesting, maybe I should try.

Meantine, I ordered a Duro thorn-resistant tube. When that fails I'll
have to find a construction equipment services like you suggested.

Old May 15th 20, 10:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2020-05-13 16:18, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 13 May 2020 10:17:19 -0700, Joerg

On 2020-05-12 15:57, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 12 May 2020 11:22:43 -0700, Joerg

On 2020-04-30 21:24, wrote:
[...]

They are available. See:
https://air-fom.com/

Seen it but this does not instill confidence with me:

https://air-fom.com/wp-content/uploa...comparison.jpg

???? The photo is showing that with a load of 12.5 kg the tire
diameter is 50 cm whether air inflated or air foam.
(which is printed in thelower portion of the photo)

Well, I do not run my road bike tires at 60psi. I consider that grossly
underinflated and maintain 100-110psi.

Old May 18th 20, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2020-04-30 21:24, wrote:
[...]

It you decide to try that Marathon tires (25 mm minimum size for you) keep us updated on how they work. I suspect that there are going to be a whole lot of e-bike commuters now that Brown and Newsom destroyed California's economy.
Old May 18th 20, 10:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2020-04-30 21:24,
Joerg wrote:
[...]

That will be a long time. Just before this thread I had bought a stash
of Vittoria Zaffiro 700c 25mm.

... I suspect that there are going to
be a whole lot of e-bike commuters now that Brown and Newsom
destroyed California's economy.

What commuters if the jobs are gone? How do you commute between here and
Houston on an E-bike?

No kidding, that's where most of my clients are now.

Old May 20th 20, 04:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2020-04-30 21:24,
Joerg wrote:
[...]

I have gotten offers from about 6 different states but have decided that since my wife has no intentions of moving away from her children and grandchildren that I will simply remain retired.

It appears that very soon Elon Musk will take Tesla and 10,000 Jobs to Austin. Far more importantly, the lockdown by power crazed officials has ended approximately half of the restaurants which make up 60% of all small to middle size business. I don't much expect those left to do well since it will take a lot of time for people to pay off their back bills and that may be the undoing of half of the remainder.

I think that all of the skyscraper businesses in San Francisco are going to fall apart without investors and so the BART system and the A-Train system are going to suffer a lot. We're looking at maybe a million jobs lost in the bay area.

If there is one thing you can guarantee is that there is going to be some really strong investigations. Why would the government try to prevent religious freedoms? Why would they close down parks and other recreational areas? This was senseless from the start.

Why has all of the media with one voice used Fauci to wreck the economy? This reminds me of a cartoon I saw. A man is standing there holding a pistol backwards pointed at his own head and there is another man looking puzzled and the first is saying, "Take one more step and I'll shoot."
Old May 21st 20, 02:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On 2020-05-18 13:58,

On 2020-04-30 21:24,
Joerg wrote:
[...]

So tell us, Mr. All Knowing. What is the solution? Just let the
population run about and dance and shout? Leave the stores open and
let the crowds in, breathing, coughing and spitting?

Given that the disease is transmitted from person to person it might
be that with this Laissez-faire approach could have attained historic
records, perhaps three , four, five, or more times what the U.S. has
attained to date.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 21st 20, 07:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On 2020-05-12 11:48, AMuzi wrote:

Have a talk with your local Bobcat or construction equipment dealer:
https://www.americanindustrialtire.com/foamfilled.htm

If flats are a critical factor for you, there are several technologies
available. No matter how frequent your flats are, running around over
construction debris all day is worse.

Someone had mentioned it here a while ago and I inquired. Unfortunately
that stuff is only sold in humongous quantities. I guess it only makes
sense if you own a serious bulldozer.

Hey, I'm up inside the Arctic Circle, doing research for my novel IDITAROD, a guest of the pipeline company. Because of an airplane emergency on the way there, in which we spent several hours on an ice floe the size of Delaware in a river the size of the Mississippi, my Epson PX laptop has frozen hinges. I just want to go lie in my bunk and turn my face to the wall and contemplate my mortality but these are hard men who take natural disasters in their stride, and God alone knows what the Governor's sidekick from Juneau told them about this official guest of the State, or what the State's survival school guys told them (I shot up those ****ers, including the heel from one's boot when he tried to make a dash for the lavatory, for arranging matters so that my own dogs nearly ate me -- their sense of humour is lethal).. Besides, the foreman says, "We don't leave doing today for tomorrow." So one guy goes out to "Get you some grease." I'm imagining perhaps a one pound can or a large tube of grease, a bigger version of the small tube I have for car hinges back home, where I fervently wish I were. Instead he rolls in a 44 gallon drum with one hand and with his other hand throws the humongous spanner for the bung at another roustabout, who catches it tidily. When this monstrous drum is upright and open, the foreman daintily sticks in his pinky and says, "Now where is this typewriter of yours with the frozen hinges?" They absolutely screamed with laughter.

I suppose if you're stuck above the Arctic Circle for weeks on end, you are no longer responsible for what you find amusing.

Andre Jute
I shoulda bugged out while I was still in relative civilisation, when the Governor's maid of all work walked me out to a single-engine plane and introduced me to the teenager lackadaisically performing the flight fitness inspection: "This is Crazy Horse, your pilot."

PS Tip: Walk around the building to the service door with your own small container and ask the mechanics to sell you some from an open barrel. They'll just give it to you because to them it will be an amount too small to sell.. You might invest in coffee and doughnuts for them; it guarantees you a hearing.

Changing presta tubes on flat resistant tires catzz66[_2_] Techniques 23 July 30th 09 07:05 PM
self sealing tubes HD commuting touring tubes patch glue knee how ma [email protected] Techniques 5 February 8th 06 03:37 AM
Slime tubes - any good? POHB UK 3 September 12th 05 05:36 PM
Puncture resistant tyre tubes Cicero UK 18 February 5th 04 12:07 PM
Latex tubes , Hold air longer and puncture resistant??? Robert Box Techniques 20 September 24th 03 04:05 PM