Global Cycling News

Old July 29th 20, 12:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Global Cycling News

Did Franki-boy really say that there was no such thing as white slavery? How can anyone be that ignorant and stupid? Thousands of white people were enslaved after being captured by the Barbary pirates; the purpose of the Barbary pirates was to capture slaves for the Ottoman and general Arabian markets. -- AJ

On Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 12:01:57 AM UTC+1, wrote:
On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 10:16:37 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 2:24:49 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/28/2020 6:41 AM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 2:32:42 AM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I play a lot of traditional Irish tunes with my friends. It's well known
that (for example) Donegal fiddling is heavily influenced by Scottish
fiddling, and there are songs and tunes in both areas that are closely
related. It's said the reason for all that is the regular migrations of
seasonal workers.
--
- Frank Krygowski

If you kept your mouth closed, Franki-boy, you would seem less ignorant. Get a map, look at where Donegal is, right next to the separate country of Northern Ireland, read up about the Plantation, and even you might eventually come to the conclusion that "migrations of seasonal workers" had absolutely nothing to do with any similarity of folk music between Donegal and adjacent Scottish-settled countries, and consanguinity and an open border everything.

You sound like an idiot even on America, so common sense dictates that you should STFU about distant nations for fear of sounding even more of an idiotic jerk.

Andre Jute
What a smug, ignorant moron this man Krygowski is

I normally ignore Jute the Troll, but some of his misinformation is too
vile to let slide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donegal_fiddle_tradition

"The Donegal fiddle tradition is the way of playing the fiddle that is
traditional in County Donegal, Ireland. It is one of the distinct fiddle
traditions within Irish traditional music.[1]

"The distinctness of the Donegal tradition developed due to the close
relations between Donegal and Scotland, and the Donegal repertoire and
style has influences from Scottish fiddle music. For example, in
addition to the standard tune types such as Jigs and Reels, the Donegal
tradition also has Highlands (influenced by the Scottish Strathspey). ..."

--
- Frank Krygowski

You should have quit while you were ahead, Franki-boy. Like the idiot you are you claimed that "the reason for all that is the regular migrations of seasonal workers." Even your shoddy source says absolutely nothing about the "migrations of seasonal workers", because it isn't true. You made it up in your desperate desire to sound like an expert.

I already gave you all the necessary tips to work it out for yourself: the geography of Donegal and Northern Ireland, and the history of the Plantation. But you didn't look it up, did you? You're really no better than Slow Johnny: one hit on the notoriously unreliable Wikipedia and you claim to be an expert on other people's countries. You just can't help yourself, no matter how often you're shown up as an ignorant windbag.

Okay. The reason Donegal music is somewhat different from what is played in the rest of Ireland is indeed Scottish influence, but it has nothing whatsoever to do with Irishmen going across the sea as seasonal labourers. And it has everything to do with the Plantation of Scottish families and whole tribes in Northern Ireland (which your ignorant sidekick the thief Peter Howard claims has nothing to do with it, leaving us with the belief that he reads a map as counterproductively as you do), so that the cast of Northern Irish music -- right next door to Donegal for the entire length of that long county -- is decidedly Scottish.

Go find a better reference, moron, and come apologise for misleading us..

Andre Jute
Not holding my breath for the graceless coward Krygowski to apologise

Kragowski is sounding strangely more and more like Joe Biden every day. Dementia does often come one bout his age. Let's see - Jay didn't say what he said, there was no such thing as white slavery because wikipedia with all of the accuracy of robin hoodlum says there wasn't, I didn't hit my head on a tree branch while riding in the bike lane, and he knows all about sport bike riding because he never owned one and rides a touring bike. He also knows all there is about climbing hills because he has an overpass near his home.

Old July 29th 20, 01:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 07:12:33 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 6:24:49 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Tell us all again how I didn't hit my head on a tree branch in the bike lane in Livermore because you've been there and done that you moron. If there is one thing that you know all about it is life, the universe and everything. And you make us all aghast at your intelligence with every posting.

Gosh, do they have Donegal fiddling in Livermore? Or is your statement
just more proof that you don't know what you are talking about?

Cheers,
John B.
Old July 29th 20, 02:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 6:53:35 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/28/2020 1:16 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

I don't have to look at a map to know where Donegal and Scotland are,
nor the history of their music.
Okay. The reason Donegal music is somewhat different from what is played in the rest of Ireland is indeed Scottish influence...

Ah! So frantic Googling for rebuttals failed, and showed you I was right.

but it has nothing whatsoever to do with Irishmen going across the sea as seasonal labourers.

Your Googling and speculation puts you many books, articles,
conversations and music sessions behind me.

Confine your remarks to what you actually know - that is, writing
mediocre trashy paperbacks.

You're an ignorant, overstuffed blowhard and an obnoxious troll.

So, a supposed American teacher and an Australian know more about Ireland than a man who is living there. It is always pleasant to see why Andrew puts a drink in the backyard and retires from posting anything around you clowns.
Old July 29th 20, 03:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 4:18:04 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 3:26:24 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, July 26, 2020 at 10:28:25 PM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I suggest a simple test for the morality of the situation. If you
lived in Ireland during the 1740 famine, and were offered a free ride
to America in trade for some vaguely non-specific work situation,
would you take it when the only alternatives were starvation or
cannibalism? No need to answer, just think about it.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

It's not quite that simple, Jeff. For instance you make the assumption that all these starving families could be reached to make the offer of indenture equitably to all of them. It just doesn't answer to the realities. But it is an easy and common error, widely also made by professionals:

Years ago there was a conference of economic historians here and I was tasked with part of their hosting because I knew so many of them. I took them down into the Gap of Dunloe, south of Killarney, took them halfway up a hillside so that on the opposite hillside they could see some squares of land marked out by fallen stones. Then I took them across the valley and into the stones. "Pace out the squares, if you please. No, not you, not the agricultural economists. You already know what I'm going to say." Behind me a lady who was a leading light of co-op history said, "Oh, ****." She knew all right. Each square, thirty by thirty paces, had to support an entire family. One of my favourite teachers was by then an Israeli pol, a deputy minister. "An average family with thirteen surviving children?" he said to me. "It's an impossibility." He wrote to me to offer me a consulting job a few years later and added in his own hand a postscript at the bottom of the official letter: "A single Gap of Dunloe example will shock the complacent out of their torpor." The problem is that Killarney itself was a couple of hundred miles of atrocious roads from Dublin, and probably a difficult two-day ride from Cork, which has a sheltered harbour, plus another day of hard travel to reach the Gap (which today is a few minutes in a comfortable car on a blacktop road away, a tourist attraction,). The Gap itself, which I've walked through in May, sometimes in mud up to my hips, is impassable in a bad winter. Most of the victims of the famine were that hard to reach, and starving people, who even in good years were outside the cash economy, didn't have money for newspapers, even though the Irish peasants were likely more literate than those in other nations. I think it is fair to conclude that most of those who indentured signed the papers in the bigger coastal towns, all of which have harbours which at that time would have taken the size of ship that crossed the Atlantic. There's a graveyard of famine victims we often stop at on our rides. We'd ride up beside the River Bandon from its estuary (the watersports marina on the estuary being the halfway point of our ride) a few miles to a hulk of a North Sea or Baltic trader about 75ft long, and there turn inland. We know, from the placement of mills and distilleries and tales of how the monstrous church bells of a village well inland were rafted upriver, that the river once was routinely navigated by substantial ships. Yet this famine graveyard is only a couple of hundred yards up the road after we turn away from the river. In fact, we're riding across a bow of the river, and will return to it at the starting point of our circular ride; there is nowhere in ireland where you can get further than a day on foot from a navigable river.

So here's another mystery for you: Consider that Ireland is an island, that there are fishing harbours without number every few miles around the coast, -- then ask why didn't they substitute fish in their diet for the now-absent potatoes?

I don't want you to think I don't take your point -- that a starving peasant doesn't have the energy to consider the moral distinction between actual slavery and indented servitude. The case I'm making is different: that in most cases he wasn't offered the opportunity or even the knowledge that just up the road the opportunity existed.

Andre Jute
People don't always do what is logical

Yes, but this wasn't the case in America. Why do you think that there were so many land rushes and gold rushes in the USA? Even people in the dankest hollows of New York City could have told you that there was land in Kansas for the taking.

I agree. However, you're talking about people who had the energy and the means to get to New York, somehow, while I'm talking about people who were already starving, far from succour, who were never offered the opportunity, who would have needed months of feeding up before they were fit enough to attempt the strenuous transatlantic journey. -- AJ
Old July 29th 20, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 7:37:50 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Famines that were based upon the upsetting of a single food source often baffled me. As you pointed out, Ireland is an Island surrounded by especially productive fishing areas. China had rice famines with seasonal rain failures. The US had the Dust Bowl years when there was no rain and no possibility of growing anything - so the people simply moved to the lush central valley of California. Even in drought years the Central Valley had plenty of water from the Sacramento and San Juaquin Rivers. Now of course with the marvelous planning in Sacramento, the farmers are the very end of the water list. Politicians take money from everywhere to feed their lust for power and riches. And it is so self defeating.
Old July 29th 20, 07:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, 28 July 2020 21:53:35 UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Knowing that, why do you people continue to respond to him? You do know that feeding/responding to a Troll only encourages them to post more or more often?

Cheers

Old July 29th 20, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/29/2020 2:26 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I respond to Jute only very, very rarely - fewer than ten times this year.

I think the great bulk of responses to Jute are from Tom. And really, I
don't think either of them requires responses. They inspire themselves.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 30th 20, 03:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 11:26:17 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

Knowing that, why do you people continue to respond to him?

They think of it as contact sport.

Boring to watch -- nobody ever thinks up a fresh insult.

--
Joy Beeson
joy al beeson at gmail dot com

Old July 30th 20, 04:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

Knowing that, why do you people continue to respond to him?

They think of it as contact sport.

Boring to watch -- nobody ever thinks up a fresh insult.

Well, you're safe, no one would ever want to insult a real lady.