Trek 4900 vs. Cannondale F300 vs. Spez Hardrock Pro Disk

Old November 10th 03, 04:25 AM
Kalukis

Default Trek 4900 vs. Cannondale F300 vs. Spez Hardrock Pro Disk

I'm a roadie looking to to ride at night without trashing my expensive
skinny tires in the dark; a little off road riding as well (can't say
mountain biking honestly--I'm down in Houston). I'm 6'4" and ride a 63 cm.
road bike, so I'm figuring a 21 in mountain bike--that cuts down the field a
little. I've looked at the 3 bikes above -- anybody got any opinions about
them?

Thanks,
Kalukis

Old November 10th 03, 06:11 PM
DT

If your looking at the Trek 4900, I would also look at the Gary Fisher
line, something like the Marlin is in the same price range. I can't
really give you too much of an opinion since I haven't ridden any of
those bikes for an extended period of time. From what it sounds like,
you would be the perfect candidate for a cross bike.

Check out the Surly Cross Check -
http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=FM0258 - the On One Il
Pompino - http://www.on-one.co.uk/products/ilpompino.shtml - KHS makes
a soft tail cross bike - http://www.khsbicycles.com/frame-cx100.jpg

The cross bike is like your road bike so you don't have to switch from
26" wheels to 700c wheels, they are a lot closer in geometry to what
you already ride, lighter, you can run considerably fatter tires than
on your road bike, and you still have the advantage of having drop
bars...

Hope that helps! I actually just took up cross racing a while back so
if you have any other questions just let me know.

DT