OK to squirt Triflow into sealed bearing?

Old November 14th 03, 09:37 PM
MeditationMan

Default OK to squirt Triflow into sealed bearing?

My bike has bearings that have a "flap" rubber seal. I can see the
BB's by just pulling the rubber back. Any opinions on squirting some
Triflow into the BB's? One poster said oil "washes out the dirt"
compared to grease. Sidebar, anyone?

Old November 16th 03, 05:59 AM
Richard Adams

MeditationMan wrote:

My bike has bearings that have a "flap" rubber seal. I can see the
BB's by just pulling the rubber back. Any opinions on squirting some
Triflow into the BB's? One poster said oil "washes out the dirt"
compared to grease. Sidebar, anyone?

I wouldn't, unless they were grinding and I was a long way from home
(knowing the bearings are shot anyway.) Triflow is a lighter weight
lubricant and mixing different lubricants doesn't necessarily yield
better results, it may form a solution which is less likely to protect
bearing and cup surfaces. When packing the bearings, fill it with
enough grease to come out of the seal, then wipe away the extra.
Triflow is OK for chains and the cables running under the BB, but I keep
it away from anything else. Use the right lube for the job.

Old November 16th 03, 11:39 AM
David Kunz

Richard Adams wrote:

MeditationMan wrote:

My bike has bearings that have a "flap" rubber seal. I can see the
BB's by just pulling the rubber back. Any opinions on squirting some
Triflow into the BB's? One poster said oil "washes out the dirt"
compared to grease. Sidebar, anyone?

I wouldn't, unless they were grinding and I was a long way from home
(knowing the bearings are shot anyway.) Triflow is a lighter weight
lubricant and mixing different lubricants doesn't necessarily yield
better results, it may form a solution which is less likely to protect
bearing and cup surfaces. When packing the bearings, fill it with
enough grease to come out of the seal, then wipe away the extra. Triflow
is OK for chains and the cables running under the BB, but I keep it away
from anything else. Use the right lube for the job.

If you can remove the seal, use grease.
If you can't remove the seal but can get the nose of a trilow tube in,
you can also get a needle adapter on the end of grease gun in -- use
that instead.

David