XTR M960: Beyond diminishing returns

Old December 5th 03, 02:12 AM
Mojo Deluxe

Default XTR M960: Beyond diminishing returns

"Rocketman" wrote in message
"Mojo Deluxe" wrote in message

"Rocketman" wrote in message
"Mojo Deluxe" wrote in message

"Rocketman" wrote in message
XTR M960 Cranks: $450

Got mine for just over $300

snip

Mojo, did you realize that you posted the same reply 7 times?

Now I do. Been having some problems with my server. Sometimes it post,
sometimes it does not. Worst yet, it appears NOT to post, but does

anyway.

Yeah, I've been having the exact same problem! It ****es me off! You just
gotta wait a few hours and see if it posts. You wouldn't happen to have
Insight Broadband, would you?

Bellsouth dial-up, with free news service (wonder why it's free?). I wish I
could get high speed out here.

Old December 5th 03, 05:56 AM
Rocketman

"JD" wrote in message
om...
"Rocketman" wrote in message

snip
Is Shimano begging us to switch to SRAM, or what?

No, they are telling us that singlespeeding is pure and natural.

JD Wheeler

You've got me thinking....

I have a matte-black NOS rigid Research Dynamics CrMo frame with horizontal
dropouts - and matching rigid fork - that I bought (in the original carton)
on Ebay for $26 last year. Hella deal. I built up a rear wheel with a
thread-on hub from two discarded wheels (hub from one wheel, rim and spokes
from the other). I even have an18T freewheel off of a junked BMX bike I
found in the neighbor's trash. I think that good ol' Research Dynamics CrMo
frameset is gonna be my new single speeder!

Thanks for the inspiration, JD.

Rocketman

Old December 5th 03, 06:14 PM
Reco Diver

"Rocketman" wrote in message news:R%Myb.274457.

snip

The new XTR is partially based on 11-year-old technology. Several companies
offered similar crank and BB designs in 1992, most notably Magic Motorcycle;
but also Bullseye, Sweet Wings and Syncros a few years later. Shimano has
been borrowing 1993 Magic Motorcycle crank technology for a while now
(square-splined BB, outboard bearings, hollow crankarms). The only thing
marginally new are the M960 shifters, and they're just a rehash of Dura Ace.

snip

11-year-old technology? Don't forget the slant-parallelogram
derrailuer design. Geez when are they going to come up with something
new? They "barrowed" that technology from SunTour ... who started
using it in the early 70's. They did, of course, have to wait until
the patent expired. Dura-Ace didn't even have an S/P rear derrailuer
until the 7400 series was brought out. And that Saint Axel-mounted hub
specific rear derrailuer what a rip-off of the 1930's Simplex/Benelux
designs. V-brakes ... nothing more than a rework of the late 80's
Cross-tops and Marinovators. SIS ... a rework of Positron ...

When will they bring out something new?

Old December 5th 03, 07:20 PM
Rocketman

"Reco Diver" wrote in message
om...
[...]

LOL! You got it, Reco. And let's not forget about the splined disc
adapter mounts for the new XTR and XT hubs. Did they license those from
Chris King, or what? Shimano has become more of a re-packaging and marketing
company than an innovative engineering company, IMO.

Rocketman

Old December 5th 03, 07:20 PM
JD

"Rocketman" wrote in message news:UcUzb.428075$Tr4.1210736@attbi_s03...
"JD" wrote in message
om...
"Rocketman" wrote in message

snip
Is Shimano begging us to switch to SRAM, or what?

No, they are telling us that singlespeeding is pure and natural.

JD Wheeler

You've got me thinking....

I have a matte-black NOS rigid Research Dynamics CrMo frame with horizontal
dropouts - and matching rigid fork - that I bought (in the original carton)
on Ebay for $26 last year. Hella deal. I built up a rear wheel with a
thread-on hub from two discarded wheels (hub from one wheel, rim and spokes
from the other). I even have an18T freewheel off of a junked BMX bike I
found in the neighbor's trash. I think that good ol' Research Dynamics CrMo
frameset is gonna be my new single speeder!

Thanks for the inspiration, JD.

Rocketman

You will be assimilated.

JD

Old December 23rd 03, 06:46 PM
Evan Evans

"Rocketman" wrote in message news:R%Myb.274457$275.970846@attbi_s53...
XTR M960 Cranks: $450
XTR M960 Brifters: $275
XTR M960 Rear Derailleur: $123
XTR M960 9sp Cassette: $142
XTR M960 Rear Disc Hub: $192

HA HA HA HA! Nobody is gonna buy this stuff, are they?

The weight weenies with more money than sense are gonna line up to drop $2k+
on the new XTR line. Does the phrase "diminishing returns" mean anything to
them? I'm betting it doesn't. Shimano is trying to see how much they can get
the logo whores to pay for ugly, trendy bike parts. It's not jewelry, but
it's priced like gold.

The new XTR is partially based on 11-year-old technology. Several companies
offered similar crank and BB designs in 1992, most notably Magic Motorcycle;
but also Bullseye, Sweet Wings and Syncros a few years later. Shimano has
been borrowing 1993 Magic Motorcycle crank technology for a while now
(square-splined BB, outboard bearings, hollow crankarms). The only thing
marginally new are the M960 shifters, and they're just a rehash of Dura Ace.

Meanwhile, all of Shimano's other component lines are going up in price.
Last season, I bought the new DuraAce mid-cage rear derailleur for $53 from
JensonUSA. Right now, JensonUSA lists DuraAce 7800 rear derailleurs for
$146!! LX cranks that sold for $59 are now $83. M753 XT cranks were $119.
The new XT cranks are $249!! That, folks, is a HUGE increase. Your next
bike will cost a *lot* more than your last bike did. Low-priced Shimano
sources are drying up quickly. If you're thinking of stocking up, do it very
soon.

Is Shimano begging us to switch to SRAM, or what?

Rocketman

If i choose to buy xtr more power to me. Don't be jealous. You can buy
sram & pretend to like it.

Old January 2nd 04, 04:29 AM
Rocketman

"Evan Evans" wrote in message
om...
"Rocketman" wrote in message

[...]

Then you won't mind me snickering behind your back, I guess.

Don't be jealous.

It's hard to be jealous of a fool and his money.

You can buy sram & pretend to like it.

I'll stick with my bombproof older 8-speed XT and XTR gear - still working
perfectly, and shifting much better than *any* 9-speed crap. That dust cloud
bombing past you and laughing will be me.

Rocketman

Old January 2nd 04, 09:54 PM
Mojo Deluxe

Default older is faster XTR M960: Beyond diminishing returns

"Rocketman" wrote in message
mega snip

I'll stick with my bombproof older 8-speed XT and XTR gear - still working
perfectly, and shifting much better than *any* 9-speed crap.

heh.

That dust cloud bombing past you and laughing will be me.

Nothing like older bombproof parts, to make one faster.