[LCC City] City of London Cycle Accident Assessment Study

Old April 20th 06, 08:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default [LCC City] City of London Cycle Accident Assessment Study

From the London Cycling Campaign:

Figure 10: All accidents caused by cyclists by contributing factor
2.6.2 The main contributing factors of accidents caused by cyclists
were
overtaking on the nearside (19%)"

And no mention of whether there was a cycle lane?

So a cyclist could be using a cycle lane, collide with a vehicle, and
the cyclist is held at fault?

I don't understand this at all.

Old April 21st 06, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"spindrift" wrote in message
ups.com...
From the London Cycling Campaign:

Figure 10: All accidents caused by cyclists by contributing factor
2.6.2 The main contributing factors of accidents caused by cyclists
were
overtaking on the nearside (19%)"

And no mention of whether there was a cycle lane?

So a cyclist could be using a cycle lane, collide with a vehicle,

and
the cyclist is held at fault?

I don't understand this at all.

Thanks to a recent posting on the London cycling Camapign's Planning
and Engineering mailing list I now know that the "STATS 19" form,
that the police fill out after accidents, has a section for adding
code numbers for "contributing factors". Code no 220 is "Overtaking
on the Nearside Injudciously". I thnk they are allowed to add more
than one code, but there is some maximum number. There doesn't seem
to be a code for "presence of a bike lane"

Jeremy Parker

Old April 25th 06, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

" There doesn't seem to be a code for "presence of a bike lane"

Jeremy Parker"

Which kind of skews the results.

It's very hard to see how a cyclist can be blamed when they are using a
cycle lane correctly.

This is like the kind of misleading guff that proven liar and perverter
of justice Paul Smith would come out with.

Old April 25th 06, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

" There doesn't seem to be a code for "presence of a bike lane"

Jeremy Parker"

Which kind of skews the results.

It's very hard to see how a cyclist can be blamed when they are using a
cycle lane correctly.

This is like the kind of misleading guff that proven liar and perverter
of justice Paul Smith would come out with.

Wow, I'm not kill-filing you because you really are a hoot. I must be
the only one hear who still reads your posts.

Prove that PS perverts

Prove that PS lies

I have given you ample opportunity in your previous threads to do just
that.
Old April 26th 06, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

smeggy wrote:

Prove that PS perverts

Prove that PS lies

1/

Smith is a liar.

He refused to remove his "Speed bumps kill 500 people a year" press
release from his site even after it had been carefully explained to him

that he was talking guff.

http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/motorc...peedhumps.html

Smith cites Sigurd Reinton as the source of the claim. Reinton denies
ever saying any such thing. Smith's a liar.

Smith also claims to remove anything from safespeed that's factually
inaccurate, yet the laughable "12mph" page that Joksch demanded be
removed is still there?

Smith has the sheer affrontery to misrepresent real statistician's
claims!

Prove me wrong, ask Smith why Joksch demanded his name be removed.

2/

Smith is a bullying lair. After Smith dismissed posts which called for
Mary Williams of Brake to be burned alive he ran whining and snivelling

to the Times editor to complain about a Times journalist who reported
Smith's disgusting words verbatim. Smith lost the case. You can check
with the PCC is you like, the case number's on the safespeed website,
but you have to ask yourself whether you would react with equanimity if
Smith started banging on about threats to burn someone you love to
death being "a mild reaction". The man's a bully and a woman-hater.

Smith has a long history of threatening anyone who disagress with him:

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t28196-15-2.html

The threats ALWAYS come to nothing, of course. Smith posts his
childish garbage, someone politely explains that Smith has
fundamentally misunderstood the issue, Smith threatens to sue. So far
Smith has made over twenty seperate threats to sue.

None of the threats was acted upon.

3/

Smith is hopelessly out of his depth and has very little understanding
of road safety issues.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4646008.stm

Quote from above story: Paul Smith of road safety campaign group
Safespeed said: "White van man poses less risk to pedestrians than even

cyclists and is one of the very safest road user groups."

When you`ve picked yourself up laughing at this terrible, dangerous
lie, take a look at the reasoning behind it.

Smith`s explanation:

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/vi...737&highlight=

The usual Smith ploy of baffling with inappropriate statistical
comparisons... Smith`s argument is that the risk of a van hitting a
pedestrian per van mile driven is less than the risk of a bus or
bicycle hitting a pedestrian per bus-mile driven or per mile cycled.
This conveniently ignores the very different exposure to pedestrians of

each mode: both buses and bicycles do most of their mileage on roads
with comparatively high levels of pedestrian use; whereas total van
mileage includes lots of motorway and trunk road travel with very low
or zero pedestrian exposure.

No cyclists on motorways either.

Thus a totally meaningless conclusion is drawn from stats that look
convincing because they are taken from real data. The funny thing is
that Smith is so terribly pompous about his use of statistics: a quote
from the SS forum: "We can win the arguments on bare facts and logic"!

What a laugh. If anyone would like to visit Safespeed and put this
point directly to Smith then please go right ahead. I tried yesterday
and my account was banned and the post deleted. No abuse, no slander,
just a reasoned explanation of how Smith had made rudimentary errors,
which can only be expected from a van driver with no academic
qualifications in statistical analysis.

The man is TERRIFIED of exposure as a fraud.

4/

Smith encourages the perversion of justice and thinks that arranging
for speeding fines to be sent to a grieving family is a "good odea":

http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost...e%20points.htm

http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost...ermeasures.htm

http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost...ooperation.htm

Meanwhile the safespeed website boasts:

"Safe Speed does not, nor has ever,
advocated or condoned law breaking or civil disobedience."

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/vi...postdays=0&pos...

Breathtaking dishonesty and a staggering callousness. A family torn
apart by grief get Smith's speeding tickets through the door addressed
to their dead loved one. Charming.

Use a recently deceased person to duck a speeding ticket, and Smith
calls this a "good idea".

The man's a perverter of justice, what he condones is explicitly
against the law. He encourages lawlessness and the most dreadful
intrusion on a grieving family imagineable.

5/

Smith holds some loathsomely unpleasant attitudes toward disabled
people:

"Personally I don't see why disabled folk should get special
treatment [for parking]."

"How much has to be wrong with my legs before I get a specially
designated parking space?"

"If it goes on like this we'll just have to cripple everyone to
bring them down to the level of the disabled - it's only fair."

"I know full well it's not 'politically correct' to question
(dubious) 'rights' given to disabled people, but I don't give a
damn about political correctness."

http://www.transport2000.org.uk/cele...rDiary.asp?Edi...

6/

Smith looks like the guy in the science fiction film who is the first
to see The Monster. Can't hold that against him, of course, not his
fault.

But if this whining, self-publicising, dangerously ignorant goon thinks

that his credibility is enhanced by employing
fake police officers to make utter fools of themself on the crapspeed
website then he is even more deluded that I thought.

The man's on the brink of a full-blown nervous breakdown if he thinks
pretend plastic coppers add weight to his "cyclists are more dangerous
than van drivers" theories.

North Wales Police are now investigating Smith's use of fake police
officers but the question really ouight to be why has Smith's desperate
need for credibility allowed him to either:

1/

Be fooled by some illiterate clown with a history of lies who claims
he's a copper or

2/

Employ said pretend copper to lend weight to his crappy "research"?

Either way the man's a joke, but again don't take my word for it, ask
"In Gear" which police force allows him to post AS A POLICE OFFICER on
a website which until recently advocated criminal acts.

I look forward to your response smith.

Old April 28th 06, 01:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

spindrift wrote:

smeggy wrote:

[...]

oh my....is your stylus stuck spinny?

I answered all of these in your orignial thread (the last post -
currently mine):

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....651?scoring=d&

So were you too stupid to notice or too stupid to give an answer?

Old April 28th 06, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Smith's hopeless floundering around a subject he has zero training in
is one thing.

Advocating the most despicable intrusion on a grieving family is quite
another, let alone Smith's blatant dishonesty and misunderstanding,
deliberate or accidental, of proper, peer-reviewed researchers' data.

A family struggle to come to terms with someone they love dying, then
Smith's speeding tickets addressed to the dead person plop through the
letterbox, and you defend this "smeggy"?

Incidentally "smeggy", are you the same "smeggy" who blames children
and parents rather than the driver when a child RTA takes place?:

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/vi...ghlight=smeggy

Everyone else's fault, isn't it "smeggy"?

If a child gets killed as you speed past the school it's the dumbass
parents' fault for being stupid, eh?

How about another "smeggers" pearl of wisdom, and this one even outdoes
proven liar and perverter of justice Paul Smith:

Crash risk is linked to speeding:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/4944834.stm

Smeggers

Posted - 26/04/2006 : 13:33:15

"The biggest load of rot I have read in a long long time...

Ask i any statician and its all anbout probabilities...

The more miles you drive, the more likely you are to crash and more
likely you are to get caught by a speed camera.

Nothing whatseover to do with speed unless you're some reckless boy
racer who gets flashed and does little mileage per annum. "

That's seriously your considered opinion is it "smeggy"?

That breaking the law is inevitable when you drive?

You can't help it, is that right?

Beyond belief.

Recidivists dredge up any and every excuse for their behaviour that
they can find.

Rapists claim the woman led them on.

Paedophiles blame the child.

Smeggy and Paul Smith also blame the child, or the parents, or claim
that speeding is "inevitable", or lie about what the road rafety
research says, or issue dishonest press releases, or condone death
threats to woman.

Beneath contempt.

Old April 28th 06, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Advocating the most despicable intrusion on a grieving family is quite
another, let alone Smith's blatant dishonesty and misunderstanding,
deliberate or accidental, of proper, peer-reviewed researchers' data.

A family struggle to come to terms with someone they love dying, then
Smith's speeding tickets addressed to the dead person plop through the
letterbox, and you defend this "smeggy"?

Who said I did? Who said PS did? So far you have not given proof of
anything, your claimed account of this event is entirely at your posted
word!

Incidentally "smeggy", are you the same "smeggy" who blames children
and parents rather than the driver when a child RTA takes place?:

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/vi...ghlight=smeggy

I have never blamed the children, you are putting words into my mouth
(AGAIN!!!). My exact words (full quote of post): "I would say that
children are statistically far far more likely to be killed or hurt if
their parents neglect to ensure they know how to cross the road and
recognise the related dangers."

Yes, the parents are likely to be to blame for any accident involving
their offspring (assuming the driver was controlling the vehicle in a
way that a pedestrian could reasonably expect to correctly judge the
vehicle's eta). It is they who are their legal guardians, it is they
who have responsibility of life education.

Everyone else's fault, isn't it "smeggy"?

If a child gets killed as you speed past the school it's the dumbass
parents' fault for being stupid, eh?

Did I say that? Of course if the driver's speed is unreasonable then
it's they who would be at fault, the key here is defining 'reasonable'.
This has been my opinion since day 1.

How about another "smeggers" pearl of wisdom, and this one even outdoes
proven liar and perverter of justice Paul Smith:

Crash risk is linked to speeding:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/4944834.stm

Smeggers

Posted - 26/04/2006 : 13:33:15

"The biggest load of rot I have read in a long long time...

Ask i any statician and its all anbout probabilities...

The more miles you drive, the more likely you are to crash and more
likely you are to get caught by a speed camera.

Nothing whatseover to do with speed unless you're some reckless boy
racer who gets flashed and does little mileage per annum. "

That's seriously your considered opinion is it "smeggy"?

No!

That wasn't my opinion; those are not my words, I have never made a
post to that effect - did you make that all up? (or did you post that
somewhere for me? wouldn't surprise me given all your other lies [and
no truths]).

My actual full opinion can be found he

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6914&

Feel free to join and discuss as opposed to cowardly bringing this up
in a cycling forum.

That breaking the law is inevitable when you drive?

You can't help it, is that right?

Beyond belief.

Recidivists dredge up any and every excuse for their behaviour that
they can find.

Rapists claim the woman led them on.

Paedophiles blame the child.

Smeggy and Paul Smith also blame the child, or the parents, or claim
that speeding is "inevitable", or lie about what the road rafety
research says, or issue dishonest press releases, or condone death
threats to woman.

Beneath contempt.

WOW, you are such a liar!
* I do not blame the child
* speeding is inevitable in these days of artificially low limits (but
I don't think I previously said that either)
* what lies have I given about road safety policies?
* and how did I condone death threats?

you are so full of crap! I challenge you to prove any of your points -
but I know you wont, just like you haven't with your other libellous
posts - all claims but no substance at all - and again you still dodge
your original issue for which you claimed would be the undoing of PS by
throwing another new set of lies into the pot. You are proving very
easy to outwit! All you've actually accomplished is getting killfiled
by exactly those who you thought would be your comrades
haa haa haa :c)

Old April 28th 06, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:41:29 -0700, smeggy wrote:
snip - enormous rant from what could well be a sock puppet!

* speeding is inevitable in these days of artificially low limits (but

The hell? Is there some kind of air gap separating your brain from you
fingers? How exactly is speeding inevitable? And what is an "artifically
low limit"?

Jon
Old April 29th 06, 12:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

snip - enormous rant from what could well be a sock puppet!

So I'm not allowed to defend myself now from baseless accusations or
what?

Anyway, who asked you? ;c)

* speeding is inevitable in these days of artificially low limits (but

The hell? Is there some kind of air gap separating your brain from you
fingers? How exactly is speeding inevitable? And what is an "artifically
low limit"?

One which has been set well below what is safe for the great majority
of drivers for the great majority of the time.

Let's take a motorway very local to me, the M275 - it used to be 70,
now it's down to 50. We were told it was for a new slip road - 8 months
ago; absolutely nothing has happened. Unsurprisingly very few abide by
the new limit.

As it is the great majority of drivers believe the current motorway
speed limit of 70 is needlessly low.