Re.Lots of cycles lots of lids

Old April 23rd 07, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Steve Watkin

Default Re.Lots of cycles lots of lids

Why can't we just let people do as they wish and not try to "convert" ?

Old April 23rd 07, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
soup

Steve Watkin wrote:
Why can't we just let people do as they wish and not try to "convert" ?

I have no sites for this (I am sure I read about it in here)but "the
goverment" has decided that once a certain percentage of people are
wearing h*lm*ts "they" have less opposition to an MHL so will introduce
one. That is why a lot of people do not want to see others wear a
h*lm*t as this furthers the cause for an MHL.

--
www.cheesesoup.myby.co.uk
Old April 23rd 07, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John B

soup wrote:

Steve Watkin wrote:
Why can't we just let people do as they wish and not try to "convert" ?

I have no sites for this (I am sure I read about it in here)but "the
goverment" has decided that once a certain percentage of people are
wearing h*lm*ts "they" have less opposition to an MHL so will introduce
one. That is why a lot of people do not want to see others wear a
h*lm*t as this furthers the cause for an MHL.

Quite.
Wearing a h*lm*t is effectively a vote for compulsion :-(

John B

Old April 23rd 07, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Thompson

Why can't we just let people do as they wish and not try to "convert" ?

Short answer:
We don't want to be fined for popping down the shops without a sodding
helmet on.

Long answer:

People can do as they wish, but their reasons for wearing helmets are
challenged if they are based on ignorance, misconceptions or the myriad of
other poor reasons that are often given. Examples are thinking that
helmets are far more protective than they really are, or that cycling is
significantly more dangerous than it really is. Think people wearing
helmets when they cycling to the shops but not weaing them when they walk -
activities with a broadly similar risk profile (though possibly slightly
worse for walking).

It is also regularly pointed out that wearing a helmet is (in effect) an
unwitting vote for making it illegal to cycle without a helmet. This is
unfortunately a fairly accurate statement.
Old April 23rd 07, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

On 23/04/2007 18:56, John B said,

Wearing a h*lm*t is effectively a vote for compulsion :-(

It's also a sign of not wanting to bash my bonce on a tree if I come off
my mountain bike.

It strikes me that many people who are against compulsion seem to take
the opposite extreme. The government want to make helmets compulsory -
some anti-compulsionists seem to want to force people to not wear them.
Both are wrong. I'm as against compulsion as the next man, but that
is because I want to exercise my choice to wear a helmet when I wish,
and not to wear one if I wish.

It is the choice one way or the other that is being campaigned for, not
a mandate one way or the other.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old April 23rd 07, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John B

Paul Boyd wrote:

On 23/04/2007 18:56, John B said,

Wearing a h*lm*t is effectively a vote for compulsion :-(

It's also a sign of not wanting to bash my bonce on a tree if I come off
my mountain bike.

It strikes me that many people who are against compulsion seem to take
the opposite extreme. The government want to make helmets compulsory -
some anti-compulsionists seem to want to force people to not wear them.
Both are wrong.

Anyone who wishes to "force" the issue one way or the other is "wrong'. The
decision is best left to choice, but I'm sure you will agree that it is
better that the choice is made on real evidence rather than emotional
claptrap and anecdotes.

I don't wish to be carted off to jail or slapped with a fine when I pop out
for ten minutes on the Brommie to buy my croissants from the baker -
simply because far too many people were taken in by the rubbish and
falsehoods expounded by the pro-compulsion lobby.

Everyday I experience kids and adults who have been seriously
mislead/conditioned into believing that the lump of polystyrene is a charm
to protect them from being run over by a bus.
I hope you'll agree they have been hoodwinked.

If compulsion is introduced because of such beliefs then that does sweet FA
for the safety of cycling on today's roads.
The bullies will have won.

Wear your helmet if you wish. No one is trying to force you not to.
I simply hope the decision was an informed one rather tahn one on
scaremongering and hype.

It is the choice one way or the other that is being campaigned for, not
a mandate one way or the other.

Exactly, but the choice is best made on real evidence rather than BeHit
misinformation.

John B

Old April 24th 07, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc Brett

On 23 Apr 2007 19:10:43 GMT, Mark Thompson
pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_t o_reply*.com wrote:

Why can't we just let people do as they wish and not try to "convert" ?

Short answer:
We don't want to be fined for popping down the shops without a sodding
helmet on.

Long answer:

People can do as they wish, but their reasons for wearing helmets are
challenged if they are based on ignorance, misconceptions or the myriad of
other poor reasons that are often given.

Pot, meet kettle.

It is also regularly pointed out that wearing a helmet is (in effect) an
unwitting vote for making it illegal to cycle without a helmet. This is
unfortunately a fairly accurate statement.

....based on even less evidence than either side of the helmet debate can muster.
Please, please, stop with yer FUD that helmet wearing will lead to a MHL. It
has absolutely no validity, and is simply a product of the Usenet echo chamber.
Somebody claimed it once, and now it's an article of faith that can be used to
bash people on their (ironically, helmeted) heads.

Show me the evidence, or shut the fud up.

Old April 24th 07, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Cliffe

Marc Brett wrote:
On 23 Apr 2007 19:10:43 GMT, Mark Thompson
pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_t o_reply*.com wrote:

It is also regularly pointed out that wearing a helmet is (in
effect) an unwitting vote for making it illegal to cycle without a
helmet. This is unfortunately a fairly accurate statement.

...based on even less evidence than either side of the helmet debate
can muster. Please, please, stop with yer FUD that helmet wearing
will lead to a MHL. It has absolutely no validity, and is simply a
product of the Usenet echo chamber. Somebody claimed it once, and now
it's an article of faith that can be used to bash people on their
(ironically, helmeted) heads.

Show me the evidence, or shut the fud up.

Neither of these are the original, it was in the 1990's and pre-dates almost
all government information being easily searchable on the internet. However,
10 minutes work dug up these two (and some others, which were less
authorative):

http://www.pacts.org.uk/parliament/H...ng-10Jan06.pdf
(page 67 & 68, government minister in Lords responding to attempt to make
helmets compulsory for children)

http://www.cfit.gov.uk/mf/reports/roadsafety/ucl/02.htm
(section 2.13 could be interpretted as get numbers high enough before
compulsion)

What is notable about both is an assumption that helmets work, and its
stupid stubborn people who object to them. When the voluntary wearing rate
is high enough, the authorities can legislate for compulsion.

A more rational position might be "when there is credible evidence of
effectiveness, we might consider legislation".
Even then, there is a civil liberties issue in respect of adult cyclists;
they are adult, and any safety device is for their protection; we don't ban
smoking by adults, or the supply of tabacco. Presumably because adults are
thought capable of making their own mind up about the dangers.

When we come to the evidence of effectiveness (on either side of the
argument), all I see is noise caused by differences in method and
difficulties in doing any form of reliable sampling. That suggests to me
that any safety effect is between marginal and non existant.
There are other road safety measures which should take a far higher
priority.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old April 24th 07, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Thompson

Marc Brett wrote:

People can do as they wish, but their reasons for wearing helmets are
challenged if they are based on ignorance, misconceptions or the
myriad of other poor reasons that are often given.

Pot, meet kettle.

I don't wear a helmet in 'normal' cycling because the research I've looked
at shows cycling to be pretty safe, and helmets not to be designed to
prevent the sort of injuries I wish to protect myself from (death, turning
into a vegetable..)

Please explain where I have based my views on ignorance, misconceptions or
poor reasoning. Alternatively, show me where I have prevented someone from
wearing a helmet.
Old April 24th 07, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_2_]

Marc Brett wrote on 24/04/2007 08:28 +0100:

....based on even less evidence than either side of the helmet debate
can muster. Please, please, stop with yer FUD that helmet wearing
will lead to a MHL. It has absolutely no validity, and is simply a
product of the Usenet echo chamber. Somebody claimed it once, and now
it's an article of faith that can be used to bash people on their
(ironically, helmeted) heads.

Show me the evidence, or shut the fud up.

There is plenty of evidence and the statement has been made multiple
times by Ministers. Witness the following statement by the Government
Whip for Transport in the House of Lords on amendments to the Road
Safety Bill to introduce mandatory helmets for children last year.

" Baroness Crawley: For these and other reasons I have given,
unfortunately we cannot accept the amendment. The noble Lord, Lord
Swinfen, pointed to a different approach by government to other road
users and quoted the Horses (Protective Headgear for Young Riders) Act
1990, which made it compulsory for children to wear hard hats when
riding. ...... It is also notable that at the time 80 per cent of riders
were already wearing protective headgear. One of the reasons we resist
the amendment of the noble Lord, Lord Swinfen, is because as yet we are
nowhere near that figure as regards the popular voluntary wearing of
cycle helmets by children. When motorcycle helmets became compulsory, 80
per cent of people were already wearing them voluntarily before
compulsion was introduced. In the case of cycle helmets being worn by
children we would be making an enormous leap from a figure far less than
80 per cent."
Hansard 10 Jan 2006

The DoT also wrote on behalf of the Minster to the Cambridge Cycling
Campaign in 2004:

"It has been our view that at the current level of wearing rates, making
helmets compulsory would cause enforcement difficulties and, without
greater public acceptance, could have an effect on the levels of
cycling. We will maintain our efforts to promote the wearing of cycle
helmets and other safety measures such as - training, publicity and
education."

Just two of the many examples pulled at random. There is plenty more on
the same line if you care to look.

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

Lots of cyclists, lots of lids Pyromancer UK 23 April 28th 07 12:54 AM
FS: lots of stuff Dan H Marketplace 0 November 23rd 05 05:51 AM
Lots of punctures [email protected] General 3 April 18th 05 04:51 PM
lots FA gregclimbs Marketplace 0 February 8th 05 09:26 PM
FS: Lots Of Tools Frankie Marketplace 3 December 24th 04 06:36 PM