We cyclists define civilization

Old September 24th 09, 07:40 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

Default We cyclists define civilization

(There are 3 easy steps to this post: Statistical data coming from
Europe, man wanting to know about the rest of the world, and me giving
my insightful and unbiased analysis of the situation)

"Cycling fatality rates in the United States far higher than those in
Europe"

http://www.examiner.com/x-2429-Bicyc...ation-Examiner

Originally Posted by Dannihilator

"I'd also like to see this study to include other regions other than
Europe and North America."

***

I bet Nigeria is not as safe as America. But I may be wrong.

We can probably use a CIVILIZATION SCALE to match those countries
where cyclists are more respected --or not.

This article argues that the scale of civilization is given by the
economy of energy consumption, in which we cyclists excel by being
able to ride about 3 miles on a banana (depending on the size of the
banana). We are the ones marking the next milestone in progress...

All of Civilization runs on Energy Resources. The efficiency of
utilization and recycling mandates the cost of living. Therefore, The
Scale of Civilization is gauged on this efficiency. Currently this
efficiency is 2.3%. All of Civilization with all that this entails
have been developed with 2.3% efficiency. Thus by raising this
efficiency we lower the cost of living and approach the unfettering of
our innate capabilities. By only doubling efficiency to approximately
5%, all of humanity will receive all needs (Food, Shelter, Clothing).
Raising the efficiency even higher will produce an abundance never
before realized. Only the imagination can speculate on the bounty of
an attainment. Maybe then our civilization can truly experience
"Progress."

http://www.salsburg.com/scale/scale.html

We quit going down Mexico way to watch the dinosaur fights after they
wiped them out and replaced them with wimpy little bulls. Ahh, those
were the good old days. Besides they can be found easily on American
roads.

http://www.freakingnews.com/Dinosaur...ures-42745.asp
Old September 25th 09, 03:33 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson[_5_]

No, this does:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zrsl8o4ZPo

Old September 25th 09, 04:10 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Neil Brooks

On Sep 24, 8:33*pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
No, this does:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zrsl8o4ZPo

Though this is ONE school, and I don't happen to condone it, did you
have any sort of a POINT to make, Bill, or were you trying to disabuse
any stragglers of the notion that you have even a scintilla of impulse
control?

Poor impulse control -- one of THE main hallmarks of Dry Drunk
Syndrome.

http://www.minnesotarecovery.info/li...e/drydrunk.htm

You might consider getting help. It's abundantly clear that you've
NEVER addressed (all) the underlying problems....

Good luck with that!
Old September 25th 09, 07:44 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Edward Dolan

"Neil Brooks" wrote in message
On Sep 24, 8:33 pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
No, this does:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zrsl8o4ZPo

Though this is ONE school, and I don't happen to condone it, did you
have any sort of a POINT to make, Bill, or were you trying to disabuse
any stragglers of the notion that you have even a scintilla of impulse
control?

Poor impulse control -- one of THE main hallmarks of Dry Drunk
Syndrome.

http://www.minnesotarecovery.info/li...e/drydrunk.htm

You might consider getting help. It's abundantly clear that you've
NEVER addressed (all) the underlying problems....

Good luck with that!

Neil, the point that Bill Sornson was making was to the subject of this
thread - civilization.

I grew up in a town which was all White except for a single oriental who
operated a Chinese laundry. Now my town (Worthington, Minnesota ) is
known as little Mexico, but it is highly debatable whether there are not
more Asians than Mexicans residing here. If my parents (now long dead)
were ever to return to this rather small city, they would not recognize
it. Hells Bells, I don't recognize it myself!

Anyone who thinks America will continue as it has in the past is a fool.
The country is changing right before our very eyes. For the better? If
you believe that, than you are even a greater fool than anyone in his
right mind would ever suspect. A polyglot America that is no longer any
kind of a melting pot is a disaster in the making.

Obama will be a one term president. He will fail for sure in foreign
policy (all Dems are craven cowards) and he will fail in domestic policy
as well if he does not at least get health care reform that includes a
public option. It seems all the Dems are good for is ****ing things up
even worse than the Repubs.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

aka

Old September 25th 09, 07:47 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]

In a melting pot, the scum rises to the top.

Obama will be a one term president. He will fail for sure in foreign
policy (all Dems are craven cowards) and he will fail in domestic policy
as well if he does not at least get health care reform that includes a
public option. It seems all the Dems are good for is ****ing things up
even worse than the Repubs.

Hey Ed,

Your quoting hierarchy is still fouled up.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old September 25th 09, 08:05 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Edward Dolan

"Tom Sherman °_°" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]
[...]

The scum rises to the top no matter how it is mixed. Or do you think Stalin
was somehow a paragon of virtue?

Obama will be a one term president. He will fail for sure in foreign
policy (all Dems are craven cowards) and he will fail in domestic
policy as well if he does not at least get health care reform that
includes a public option. It seems all the Dems are good for is ****ing
things up even worse than the Repubs.

Hey Ed,

Your quoting hierarchy is still fouled up.

Not to me it isn't. Everyone on these newsgroups should be using a proper
newsreader. The Google Groups website is too complex for others to know how
to post correctly.

Old September 25th 09, 01:59 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Mint[_2_]

http://www.examiner.com/x-2429-Bicyc...xaminer~y2009m...

Originally Posted by Dannihilator

"I'd also like to see this study to include other regions other than
Europe and North America."

***

I bet Nigeria is not as safe as America. But I may be wrong.

We can probably use a CIVILIZATION SCALE to match those countries
where cyclists are more respected --or not.

This article argues that the scale of civilization is given by the
economy of energy consumption, in which we cyclists excel by being
able to ride about 3 miles on a banana (depending on the size of the
banana). We are the ones marking the next milestone in progress...

Some factors in the higher cycle fatality rate in the U.S. may be that
most streets weren't designed with bicyclists in mind.

Others include "car cell phone users" and distracted and "Indy 500
drivers".

The non-functionality of many light crossing buttons is a hazard to
pedestrian as well.

Even many new streets don't plan for 18 wheelers as evidenced by the
many broken curbs.

But there are plenty of workarounds for the conscientious and
responsible bikers.

Take care
Old September 25th 09, 04:54 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

On Sep 24, 10:33Â*pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
No, this does:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zrsl8o4ZPo

And your point is?

717ellie
"If there were a reason to sing about Reagan or Carter or either Bush
(like them visiting the school) then yeah, it wouldn't have been
surprising to find a song created about them. This was done during
Black History month a couple of weeks after the first Black President
was inaugurated. It would have been weird had they NOT highlighted his
election during Black History month!!! During that time, schools talk
about famous blacks in America and sometimes put on assemblies too,
like this one."
Old September 25th 09, 05:47 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

Originally Posted by genec
Not sure what sort of dull point you are trying to make, but in case
you missed my point all together I'll spell it out for you. In the
countries I have visited that were vastly more bike friendly than the
US, everyone rode bikes... including those of advanced age. Here in
the US, we tend to see children on bicycles on sidewalks, and some
students up to college age and then of older age the few cyclists that
are transportation cyclists tend to be men. We also have a mix of DUI,
and/or economically challenged people that ride bikes... often on
sidewalks.

Cycling in the US, outside of student age folks, tends to be dominated
by males and is considered a sport. Cycling in places like Denmark,
and even Davis, CA tends to be for transportation and is done by all
ages.

Yeah, these are gross generalizations... "whoosh."

***
I love generalizations because they help me figure out the world. For
example, Miami is VERY unfriendly to bikes, but it doesn't mean there
are some friendly drivers out there. It just means that OUR BIKE
FACILITIES SUCK, AND THE RESPECT WE GET IS SOMEWHERE IN BETWEEN A HOBO
AND A DRUNK GETS.
Old September 26th 09, 04:04 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Edward Dolan

"Still Just Me!" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 02:05:10 -0500, "Edward Dolan"
wrote:

The scum rises to the top no matter how it is mixed. Or do you think
Stalin
was somehow a paragon of virtue?

Apparently he was :
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe...rsy/index.html

An interesting article, which leads me to believe there is something
fundamentally defective about the Russian people. I think they came out of
serfdom too rapidly and never recovered from the shock of it.