A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Shimano availability?

Old June 10th 21, 07:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

Default Shimano availability?

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 11:34:07 AM UTC-7, Luns Tee wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 11:18:34 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/10/2021 10:58 AM, Luns Tee wrote:
For proper 6 speed bodies, yes, the outer shell (that sprockets stack up on) is shorter than for 7 speed; I was referring to support of 6 speed on 6/7 speed freehubs, so as not to imply that 6 and 7 are inherently the same thing.

That's just the outer shell though. The inner core of the freehub (the part that mates with the hub shell) was identical for 5 and 6 speed (at least for FH-6207/8) and in my experience 7 speed too. This means that if you need to replace a failed 6 speed freehub body, you can directly replace it with a 6/7 speed freehub body without affecting the OLD. This does not necessarily mean you can use a 7 speed cassette on said body; the first position sprocket can end up too close to the dropout.

The 5 speed freehub body shell was just long enough to enclose its core with only a thin dust shield. Going to 6 speeds, the shell was longer, allowing for either a better seal, or space for a hyperglide lockring with a thin dust shield similar to what was used for 5 speeds. The shell got even longer for 7 speed, allowing for better sealing together with hyperglide support.

-Luns

Yes, very clear overview.
Modern 8+ CS bodies can mount in place of the seven or six
version.

Indeed. Seal and corresponding cone and/or axle spacers often have to be changed together with the body, but it's sometimes avoidable. The 8HG/UG-speed body from 6402 will mate fine with the cone and seal used in the 6/7UG 6400 hub, although the spacer between the cone and locknut is 0.7mm thicker for 8 speed usage.

Going between 6 and 7 speed, the 7HG/UG body from the FH-HG50 hub is a perfect replacement for FH-6207/8 and 1050, with its metal dust cap having an identical seal diameter as the plastic dust shield it replaces.
I'm not sure that any 5 cassette hub supported that hub-body
interface format (just don't know either way)

https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/s...208-5-0733.pdf
The original HG bodies were double threaded to accept both
UG and HG cassettes.

Yep.

The 7sp DuraAce 7400 (or that series) had a threaded freehub body that, AFAIK, is not compatible with any modern 8+ bodies. I have that hub with all the Fisher Price stack-em-up cogs. All sitting in a box.

-- Jay Beattie.
Ads
Old June 10th 21, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

On 6/10/2021 1:34 PM, Luns Tee wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 11:18:34 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/10/2021 10:58 AM, Luns Tee wrote:
For proper 6 speed bodies, yes, the outer shell (that sprockets stack up on) is shorter than for 7 speed; I was referring to support of 6 speed on 6/7 speed freehubs, so as not to imply that 6 and 7 are inherently the same thing.

That's just the outer shell though. The inner core of the freehub (the part that mates with the hub shell) was identical for 5 and 6 speed (at least for FH-6207/8) and in my experience 7 speed too. This means that if you need to replace a failed 6 speed freehub body, you can directly replace it with a 6/7 speed freehub body without affecting the OLD. This does not necessarily mean you can use a 7 speed cassette on said body; the first position sprocket can end up too close to the dropout.

The 5 speed freehub body shell was just long enough to enclose its core with only a thin dust shield. Going to 6 speeds, the shell was longer, allowing for either a better seal, or space for a hyperglide lockring with a thin dust shield similar to what was used for 5 speeds. The shell got even longer for 7 speed, allowing for better sealing together with hyperglide support.

-Luns

Yes, very clear overview.
Modern 8+ CS bodies can mount in place of the seven or six
version.

Indeed. Seal and corresponding cone and/or axle spacers often have to be changed together with the body, but it's sometimes avoidable. The 8HG/UG-speed body from 6402 will mate fine with the cone and seal used in the 6/7UG 6400 hub, although the spacer between the cone and locknut is 0.7mm thicker for 8 speed usage.

Going between 6 and 7 speed, the 7HG/UG body from the FH-HG50 hub is a perfect replacement for FH-6207/8 and 1050, with its metal dust cap having an identical seal diameter as the plastic dust shield it replaces.

I'm not sure that any 5 cassette hub supported that hub-body
interface format (just don't know either way)

https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/s...208-5-0733.pdf

The original HG bodies were double threaded to accept both
UG and HG cassettes.

Yep.

-Luns

Thank you I missed that along the way.

Also, the spacer under the cassette body against the
hubshell varies model to model and some combinations use no
spacer.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Old June 11th 21, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster

On 6/10/2021 3:54 AM, Luns Tee wrote:
On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 9:16:49 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 3:03:53 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I it possible to disaasemble the cogs from the body, t hen flip the cogs and reinstall them as can be done with Uniglide Cassette cogs?

I think the keying of Hyperglide sprockets prevents flipping them. You could file out the keys, the same as if you were fitting hyperglide sprockets to a uniglide freehub. I don't know for sure if the backside of the tooth shape is suitable for being driven, but I'd expect that it is, in which case it'd work.

They have at least some teeth that, if flipped, would essentially lack a
driving surface. See the two bottom teeth in this picture.

https://www.harriscyclery.net/produc...rocket-800.htm

--
- Frank Krygowski