? for folks using CO2 inflation cartridges

Old August 27th 03, 12:12 AM
deluxe model

Default ? for folks using CO2 inflation cartridges

"The Muncher" wrote in message
news
Hi, I'm relatively new to this forum, but have been riding for ~10+
years off and on (now on...). I've recently gotten into the CO2
cartridge thing, and I have been buying BB-gun CO2 cartridges instead
of the over-priced bike-specific ones (much, much cheaper). Was told
today by a local Performance bike shop worker that the BB gun ones (I
specifically have Crossman BB gun ones) have some oil in them, and
that it'll wear away the rubber innertubes eventually. Any truth to
this, or anyone have any experience with this? I've used several of
the BB ones no problem so far but...

How much are inner tubes costing you?

Old August 27th 03, 01:14 AM
P e t e F a g e r l i n

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 22:49:04 GMT, The Muncher
wrote:

Hi, I'm relatively new to this forum, but have been riding for ~10+
years off and on (now on...). I've recently gotten into the CO2
cartridge thing, and I have been buying BB-gun CO2 cartridges instead
of the over-priced bike-specific ones (much, much cheaper). Was told
today by a local Performance bike shop worker that the BB gun ones (I
specifically have Crossman BB gun ones) have some oil in them, and
that it'll wear away the rubber innertubes eventually. Any truth to
this, or anyone have any experience with this? I've used several of
the BB ones no problem so far but...

Walk into that particular Performance and tell them that thanks to the
BS story, you're going to shop in a "real" LBS from now on.

Old August 27th 03, 01:22 AM
The Muncher

wrote:

Hi, I'm relatively new to this forum, but have been riding for ~10+
years off and on (now on...). I've recently gotten into the CO2
cartridge thing, and I have been buying BB-gun CO2 cartridges instead
of the over-priced bike-specific ones (much, much cheaper). Was told
today by a local Performance bike shop worker that the BB gun ones (I
specifically have Crossman BB gun ones) have some oil in them, and
that it'll wear away the rubber innertubes eventually. Any truth to
this, or anyone have any experience with this? I've used several of
the BB ones no problem so far but...

Walk into that particular Performance and tell them that thanks to the
BS story, you're going to shop in a "real" LBS from now on.

I didn't think that the miniscule amount of oil would 'eat away' at
the butyl rubber tubes...

Old August 27th 03, 02:28 AM
Bill Porter

wrote:

Hi, I'm relatively new to this forum, but have been riding for ~10+
years off and on (now on...). I've recently gotten into the CO2
cartridge thing, and I have been buying BB-gun CO2 cartridges instead
of the over-priced bike-specific ones (much, much cheaper). Was told
today by a local Performance bike shop worker that the BB gun ones (I
specifically have Crossman BB gun ones) have some oil in them, and
that it'll wear away the rubber innertubes eventually. Any truth to
this, or anyone have any experience with this? I've used several of
the BB ones no problem so far but...

thanks!

2003 Ellsworth Truth with Romic
1996 Kona Kula hardtail with XTR

I bet there is only a few manufactors out there who make ever
cartridge sold to the dozens and dozens of companies that sell them.
They just change the labeling. My 2 cents.

Bill Porter
www.mountainbikebill.com

Old August 27th 03, 07:47 AM
JD

The Muncher wrote in message . ..
Hi, I'm relatively new to this forum, but have been riding for ~10+
years off and on (now on...). I've recently gotten into the CO2
cartridge thing, and I have been buying BB-gun CO2 cartridges instead
of the over-priced bike-specific ones (much, much cheaper). Was told
today by a local Performance bike shop worker that the BB gun ones (I
specifically have Crossman BB gun ones) have some oil in them, and
that it'll wear away the rubber innertubes eventually. Any truth to
this, or anyone have any experience with this? I've used several of
the BB ones no problem so far but...

Here's what you do...

Go to the greasiest dirty mex place in town and gorge yourself. After
the inevitable rotten egg flatulence sets in, go to that bike shop.
Find that lying sonofabitch, then go lay a few air-eggs in his
vicinity. Never go back to that crappy shop again.

JD
Old August 27th 03, 07:48 AM
Tlacatecatl

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 15:49:04 -0700, The Muncher wrote:

Hi, I'm relatively new to this forum, but have been riding for ~10+
years off and on (now on...). I've recently gotten into the CO2
cartridge thing, and I have been buying BB-gun CO2 cartridges instead
of the over-priced bike-specific ones (much, much cheaper). Was told
today by a local Performance bike shop worker that the BB gun ones (I
specifically have Crossman BB gun ones) have some oil in them, and
that it'll wear away the rubber innertubes eventually. Any truth to
this, or anyone have any experience with this? I've used several of
the BB ones no problem so far but...

I've never heard of this and haven't experienced such a problem. Butyl rubber
is more permeable to CO2 than to air, so tires inflated with a cartridge will
lose pressure faster. If I use a cartridge during a ride I make sure to
deflate it when I get back and pump it up again with air.

Tlacatecatl Tlacaxipe

Old August 27th 03, 12:03 PM
mjm

"Tlacatecatl" wrote in message
. giganews.com...
[...]

What about using CO2 on a tubeless tire setup? In this case you don't have
an inner tube to contend with?

Old August 27th 03, 09:41 PM
James Messick

"ctg" wrote in message
m...
The Muncher wrote in message

. ..
Hi, I'm relatively new to this forum, but have been riding for ~10+
years off and on (now on...). I've recently gotten into the CO2
cartridge thing, and I have been buying BB-gun CO2 cartridges instead
of the over-priced bike-specific ones (much, much cheaper). Was told
today by a local Performance bike shop worker that the BB gun ones (I
specifically have Crossman BB gun ones) have some oil in them, and
that it'll wear away the rubber innertubes eventually. Any truth to
this, or anyone have any experience with this? I've used several of
the BB ones no problem so far but...

thanks!

If you're already paying for air are you going to choke on the cost of
an occasional tube if it is true?

Chris

Brilliant comment!