Wheel/Spoke Magnets

Old May 12th 19, 09:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Default Wheel/Spoke Magnets

Anyone know of some 'decent' ones. The Sigma supplied ones won't
attract a whore in a crack house. The Bosch type ones always seem to
corrode and fall off, and on top of that are easy to X-Thread. The
Cat-Eye ones don't seem to stay put[1]. The Echowell/Yamaha ones seem
pretty decent but are like rocking horse **** this side of the pond.
Any other ideas?

[1] Yes, it is getting OCD!
Old May 12th 19, 11:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sun, 12 May 2019 10:29:34 +0200, Tosspot
wrote:

Anyone know of some 'decent' ones. The Sigma supplied ones won't
attract a whore in a crack house. The Bosch type ones always seem to
corrode and fall off, and on top of that are easy to X-Thread. The
Cat-Eye ones don't seem to stay put[1]. The Echowell/Yamaha ones seem
pretty decent but are like rocking horse **** this side of the pond.
Any other ideas?

[1] Yes, it is getting OCD!

Glue? Clean the magnet, clamp, and the spoke with some sort of solvent
to remove dirt and oil, anoint with some sort of rubber (or other
flexible) glue, install magnet, tighten clamp, let the glue harden.
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old May 12th 19, 02:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/12/2019 1:29 AM, Tosspot wrote:
Anyone know of some 'decent' ones.Â* The Sigma supplied ones won't
attract a whore in a crack house.Â* The Bosch type ones always seem to
corrode and fall off, and on top of that are easy to X-Thread.Â* The
Cat-Eye ones don't seem to stay put[1].Â* The Echowell/Yamaha ones seem
pretty decent but are like rocking horse **** this side of the pond. Any
other ideas?

[1] Yes, it is getting OCD!

When I lost the cadence magnet on my crank I used a hard-drive magnet,
i.e. https://www.ebay.com/itm/173209158372 but I got some used ones
from someone I knew at a disk drive company. I heat shrinked it over the
crank. I guess for a wheel magnet you could use some cable ties or some
baling wire and attach one of these to the spokes. The pick-up doesn't
have to be so close to the magnet when you use a disk drive magnet.
Old May 12th 19, 05:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 12/05/2019 15:27, sms wrote:
On 5/12/2019 1:29 AM, Tosspot wrote:
Anyone know of some 'decent' ones. The Sigma supplied ones won't
attract a whore in a crack house. The Bosch type ones always seem
to corrode and fall off, and on top of that are easy to X-Thread.
The Cat-Eye ones don't seem to stay put[1]. The Echowell/Yamaha
ones seem pretty decent but are like rocking horse **** this side
of the pond. Any other ideas?

[1] Yes, it is getting OCD!

When I lost the cadence magnet on my crank I used a hard-drive
magnet, i.e. https://www.ebay.com/itm/173209158372 but I got some
used ones from someone I knew at a disk drive company. I heat
shrinked it over the crank. I guess for a wheel magnet you could use
some cable ties or some baling wire and attach one of these to the
spokes. The pick-up doesn't have to be so close to the magnet when
you use a disk drive magnet.

That's an idea. They have various holes that would take small nuts and
bolts and we get through a lot of disc drives at work.
Old May 13th 19, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 5/12/2019 6:27 AM, sms wrote:
[...]

If heat shrink is too much trouble, the ?vinyl? stretchy plastic
electrical tape works pretty well also, I've done this for cadence
magnets. The tape may start to peel and degenerate into a sticky mess,
but if caught/redone in time, the mess is quite containable.

Mark J.

Old May 13th 19, 12:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sun, 12 May 2019 16:26:11 -0700, "Mark J."
wrote:

On 5/12/2019 6:27 AM, sms wrote:
[...]

I bonded used Hard disk magnets onto the aluminum crank arms of all of
my (4) bicycles as much as 10 years ago using epoxy glue. To date the
magnets are all still attached :-)

As to the original post, I have spoke magnets that I attached to front
wheels both with radial spokes and with crossed spokes that have been
in place for 4 - 5 years.

What is the big problems with attaching magnets to bicycles?

--

Cheers,

John B.
Old May 13th 19, 06:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

wrote:

On 5/12/2019 6:27 AM, sms wrote:
[...]

It isn't a problem per se. For some reason there is a *big* gap between
the spokes and the Surly LHT frame, which means at best, standard
magnets are intermittent. The fix is obvious, a small neodymium disc
magnet, but this tends to cause enough of some adverse force to cause
the above problems. In short, the Sigma ones don't cut the mustard,
different ones work ok for a year or two. I want a good magnet, that
stays put, doesn't corrode and I can't fyckup fitting.

Old May 13th 19, 11:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

On 5/12/2019 6:27 AM, sms wrote:
[...]

I think that you are referring to a cycle meter pickup - spoke magnet
and sensor mounted on the front fork? What I do is mount the magnet
and than mount the sensor with a bit of offset - bent in, one might
say. Works for me :-)

The indomitable Sheldon recommends installing the magnet as near the
hub as possible as it means that the magnet passes the sensor
(transmitter) slower which he feels might make things more accurate.

As an aside, it also means that the magnet is closer to the fork tube
and therefore the sensor is closer to the magnet and requires less
offset. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-eGGDFeaUM
for an example (I know it is a cabled meter but the position of the
sender is the same as a wireless sensor).

--

Cheers,

John B.
Old May 13th 19, 04:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/12/2019 10:06 PM, Tosspot wrote:

snip

It isn't a problem per se.Â* For some reason there is a *big* gap between
the spokes and the Surly LHT frame, which means at best, standard
magnets are intermittent.Â* The fix is obvious, a small neodymium disc
magnet, but this tends to cause enough of some adverse force to cause
the above problems.Â* In short, the Sigma ones don't cut the mustard,
different ones work ok for a year or two.Â* I want a good magnet, that
stays put, doesn't corrode and I can't fyckup fitting.

I think that a disk drive magnet, covered with heat-shrink tubing to
prevent corrosion, and attacked to the spokes through the holes on the
mount, would work. A bit heavy though.

Old May 13th 19, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/12/2019 4:26 PM, Mark J. wrote:
On 5/12/2019 6:27 AM, sms wrote:
[...]

magnets.Â* The tape may start to peel and degenerate into a sticky mess,
but if caught/redone in time, the mess is quite containable.

I SPIT on electrical tape.

Q: Campy Eurus Wheel Magnets Arthur Shapiro Techniques 1 September 28th 08 04:12 PM
16 spoke wheel Don Barcode Techniques 5 July 20th 07 04:28 AM
Losing one spoke in an 18 spoke wheel... effect on lateral true. Ron Ruff Techniques 30 February 26th 07 12:18 AM
Replacement Magnets for wheel and pedal sensors Blue Heeler Australia 6 January 25th 07 01:05 PM
Personal Wheel Building Questions - Lacing, Spoke Counts, Spoke Choices Appkiller Techniques 36 November 25th 04 06:42 PM