Attn: Qld Cyclists (Road Rules)

Old October 19th 05, 01:27 AM
LotteBum

Default Attn: Qld Cyclists (Road Rules)

Are you a cyclist in Queensland? Do you regularly flaunt the road
rules? Do you even know the road rules, in particular, those which
apply to cyclists?

Read the following very carefully. BECAUSE YOU NEED IT:

http://tinyurl.com/94w6e

This is in reference to the man who informed me yesterday that he was
indeed legally allowed to ride across a pedestrian crossing (he forced
myself and a car to come to a grinding halt in the process as he was on
the road one minute, the next he's on the footpath and without first
looking, flew across the pedestrian crossing).

I am printing this and the next time I see this man, I will give it to
him as proof that I AM right and that he IS wrong.

LotteBum

--
LotteBum

Old October 19th 05, 01:47 AM
Bleve

Riding too close to the rear of a motor vehicle (s255)

* You must maintain a distance of 2m between you and the rear of a
motor vehicle when following the motor vehicle for over 200m.

so you can slipstream a truck

Old October 19th 05, 02:03 AM
Peter McCallum

LotteBum wrote:

Are you a cyclist in Queensland? Do you regularly flaunt the road
rules? Do you even know the road rules, in particular, those which
apply to cyclists?

Read the following very carefully. BECAUSE YOU NEED IT:

http://tinyurl.com/94w6e

"On your bike, avoid hanging things off the handlebars."

So where are you supposed to put your helmet?

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
Old October 19th 05, 03:31 AM
cfsmtb

-Riding a bicycle (s245)
* While riding, you must sit astride the seat and keep at least one
hand on the handle bars at all times.-

How are you supposed to scratch yourself? Or ring that bell?

-Equipment on a bicycle (s258)
* Your bicycle must have at least one effective brake and a bell in
working order.-

Mildly confusing - should be combined with Riding at night (s259)

-Riding in special purpose lanes (s153, s154, s155, s156)
* You can ride in bicycle, tram, bus and transit lanes.-

Trams in QLD? From a Vic perspective I've been verbal cautioned by cops
for riding btw tram lines.

-Riding on the footpath (s288)
* In Queensland, cyclists of any age are allowed to ride on a
footpath unless prohibited by a bicycle prohibition sign. You must give
way to pedestrians and ride in a manner which does not cause a hazard to
other footpath users.-

Yes, it's bit different in QLD in relation to AusRoads (Dec 1 1999),
hence all the discussion about cyclist/ped interactions I keep reading
on the Bike-QLD list.

-Riding too close to the rear of a motor vehicle (s255)
* You must maintain a distance of 2m between you and the rear of a
motor vehicle when following the motor vehicle for over 200m.-

Thats rather archaic, tend to be ignored here in Vic. Probably does in
QLD too.

--
cfsmtb

Old October 19th 05, 03:53 AM
Bleve

cfsmtb wrote:

-Riding too close to the rear of a motor vehicle (s255)
* You must maintain a distance of 2m between you and the rear of a
motor vehicle when following the motor vehicle for over 200m.-

In QLD, it's legal (by inference) to draft in a pack of bicycles,
but in Victoria, the difference is subtle ... :

* Offenders can be fined more than $50 for the following offences:

[chomp]

o Are drawn along by another vehicle;

So, technically, drafting a pushbike (vehicle, *not* a motor
vehicle) would be illegal in Victoria. I wonder if they meant
motor vehicle? ref :

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/...10042BAA4?open

Old October 19th 05, 04:16 AM
cfsmtb

Bleve Wrote:

In QLD, it's legal (by inference) to draft in a pack of bicycles,
but in Victoria, the difference is subtle ... :

* Offenders can be fined more than $50 for the following offences:

[chomp]

o Are drawn along by another vehicle;
So, technically, drafting a pushbike (vehicle, *not* a motor
vehicle) would be illegal in Victoria. I wonder if they meant
motor vehicle? ref :
http://tinyurl.com/afbn6

For another intrepretation, refer to points 151, 255 from the
much-missed Russell Lindsay:

Rules for cyclists: guidelines and comments from Russell Lindsay of Vic
Police (pdf file: 19 pages)
http://www.whitehorsecyclists.org.au/roadrules.pdf

--
cfsmtb

Old October 19th 05, 04:21 AM
Resound

"cfsmtb" wrote in message

-Riding a bicycle (s245)
* While riding, you must sit astride the seat and keep at least one
hand on the handle bars at all times.-

How are you supposed to scratch yourself? Or ring that bell?

With the other hand? I personally have two. I often find that..er..handy. :P

Old October 19th 05, 05:18 AM
Peter McCallum

"Resound" wrote:

"cfsmtb" wrote in message

-Riding a bicycle (s245)
* While riding, you must sit astride the seat and keep at least one
hand on the handle bars at all times.-

How are you supposed to scratch yourself? Or ring that bell?

With the other hand? I personally have two. I often find that..er..handy. :P

Maybe he was wondering how he is supposed to scratch his arse while
sitting aside the seat

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
Old October 19th 05, 05:18 AM
Peter McCallum

Bleve wrote:

In QLD, it's legal (by inference) to draft in a pack of bicycles,
but in Victoria, the difference is subtle ... :

* Offenders can be fined more than $50 for the following offences:

[chomp]

o Are drawn along by another vehicle;

So, technically, drafting a pushbike (vehicle, *not* a motor
vehicle) would be illegal in Victoria.

I think there is a difference between being drawn along and drafting.
The first implies some sort of pulling force, the second a lack of
resistance.

Peter
--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
Old October 19th 05, 05:43 AM
cfsmtb

Peter McCallum Wrote:

Maybe he was wondering how he is supposed to scratch his arse while
sitting aside the seat

*Ahem* not everyone on a.b or the interwebbie is a bloke. Oh, and the
correct wording is 'derriere'.

--
cfsmtb