Winter Triking

Old October 7th 05, 07:06 PM
Jeff Grippe

Default Winter Triking

My problem (suggestions and solutions are most welcome) is that I have a 3.5
mile ride followed by a 40 minute train ride in a well heated train,
followed by a 20 minute walk (back out in the elements). I almost always
sweat when I ride and if I can't quickly peel those layers I will certainly
sweat on the train. If I sweat a lot then my walk will be most unpleasent.
Same set of problems in reverse although I don't think sweat will be a
problem on the walk.

Thanks,

Jeff

PS

Very cool bikes...

Do you know anything about building velomobiles?

"PHQ" wrote in message ...
Ah, nice to see another winter warrior! I ride on days so cold, the polar
bears hide. I dress like I'm goint out to ski - goggles and all. I ride a
two-headed mountain bike called the Hammer Head....

http://www.atomiczombie.com/book-bonanza.htm

Shown midway down the page. It is a blast to take it down the ski hill, or
pull a sled behind it. I normally prefer recumbents, but in the winter
it's
nice to be up higher as gassers are not really looking for you.

Cheers!

Old October 7th 05, 09:31 PM
ATZ

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in
:

"PHQ" wrote in message
Ah, nice to see another winter warrior! I ride on days so cold, the
polar bears hide. I dress like I'm goint out to ski - goggles and
all. I ride a two-headed mountain bike called the Hammer Head....

http://www.atomiczombie.com/book-bonanza.htm

Shown midway down the page. It is a blast to take it down the ski
hill, or pull a sled behind it. I normally prefer recumbents, but in
the winter it's
nice to be up higher as gassers are not really looking for you.

Cheers!

I see! Wouldn't want to haul a large trike onto the train.

Thanks - building bikes is a damn fun hobby. I am working on 2
velomobiles right now - a VERY low fast delta trike, and a sociable
(side by side) tadpole (2 front wheels) trike.

Brad
Old October 8th 05, 01:38 AM
Jeff Grippe

"ATZ" wrote in message ...

I see! Wouldn't want to haul a large trike onto the train.

Actually, I wouldn't mind at all. There are elevators to get to the train
platform and elevators to get out of Grand Central Station (although that
last part is a bit tricky). I could even probably find a place to park it at
work. It is the railroad that doesn't want me to haul the large trike.

While I consider myself to have given up upright riding and for the most
part given up two wheel vehicles, I would consider going back to two wheels
if it meant I could get it on the train.

Maybe if I got really good at folding the Greenspeed GT3 and got some sort
of a luggage cart for it I could sneak it on the train in its folded state.
I still think that if I did it every day, the railroad would complain.

Being able to take a vehicle on the train would be great.

Jeff

Old October 11th 05, 01:27 AM
Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic

See http://rrbike.freeservers.com/.
--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley
"Great Ford!

Neoprene Booties or Winter Shoes RWM Techniques 57 November 23rd 04 11:16 PM
FA: $1 End of Summer Garage Sale - nice winter clothing! Carla Hukee Marketplace 0 August 26th 04 04:26 AM
winter slippery dark scary time digigal1 Unicycling 1 August 4th 04 08:41 PM
Winter Riding evil-nick Unicycling 28 July 2nd 04 05:20 PM
Winter Shoes (w/ Speedplay cleats)? John Finney Techniques 16 September 5th 03 01:45 PM