Crash Coregan

Old October 30th 18, 11:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Crash Coregan

Last Sunday I was riding down the road nearing the suburb of Fremont called "Niles". This is where Charley Chaplin made most if not all of his movies. In any even I had missed my medication the morning before and had to take a double dose that evening. So this morning when I took my medication I was still a bit overdosed.

I was riding along and perhaps not paying a great deal of attention as I approached a new overpass with a good bike lane on it. The section I was on was rough road but not horrible. Suddenly I was thrown up in the air and my main concern was not hitting my head on the curb. I managed to fall on my entire right side.

I was totally confused, I had struck my head but lightly since my body absorbed most of the impact and my head just slapped down on the asphalt. But there hadn't been anything in the road to do that!

I was trying to get up and some driver stopped and was helping me up. He must have been a cyclist because he was putting the chain back on the crankset since it had fallen off.

I said something along the lines of "What in the hell did I hit." And he said that a pine cone had fallen out of a tree and bounced from my right side under the front wheel. I hope I thanked him for his help but I was too confused to remember. I immediately turned around and came back before the pain set in.

That was a completely new one on me. I can't remember ever having a pine cone fall near me in all my years of riding. Though that might be lost in my concussion memory.

In any case my right side is REALLY sore. My right hip sustained some road rash but just barely and the Pearl Izumi's didn't get any visible damage. Good thing since they are top of the line and my favorites. After I get back from a ride I can sit down for awhile without getting sweat buildup and sores in my crotch before a shower. None of the others will do that, it's straight into the shower no matter how hard you've ridden.

Now I can't sleep well since I normally lay on my right side. And I managed to hurt my shoulder a little more from the bad sleep. I'll sure be glad when this heals up.

It reminds me of that insurance commercial where the squirrel is throwing pine cones at someone's car.
Old October 31st 18, 12:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-10-30 15:48, wrote:
Last Sunday I was riding down the road nearing the suburb of Fremont
called "Niles". This is where Charley Chaplin made most if not all of
his movies. In any even I had missed my medication the morning before
and had to take a double dose that evening. So this morning when I
took my medication I was still a bit overdosed.

I was riding along and perhaps not paying a great deal of attention
as I approached a new overpass with a good bike lane on it. The
section I was on was rough road but not horrible. Suddenly I was
thrown up in the air and my main concern was not hitting my head on
the curb. I managed to fall on my entire right side.

I was totally confused, I had struck my head but lightly since my
body absorbed most of the impact and my head just slapped down on the
asphalt. But there hadn't been anything in the road to do that!

Knowing how to fall and instinctively controlling a fall is an art.
Normally only martial arts people and parachutists develop that kind of
"muscle memory".

I was trying to get up and some driver stopped and was helping me up.
He must have been a cyclist because he was putting the chain back on
the crankset since it had fallen off.

I said something along the lines of "What in the hell did I hit."

Happens a lot to mountain bikers. Now how did THAT happen? Then you turn
around and find that what looked like a smooth clay trail surface had
caved in.

... And
he said that a pine cone had fallen out of a tree and bounced from my
right side under the front wheel. I hope I thanked him for his help
but I was too confused to remember. I immediately turned around and
came back before the pain set in.

That was a completely new one on me. I can't remember ever having a
pine cone fall near me in all my years of riding. Though that might
be lost in my concussion memory.

In my area I heard of several cyclists who had squirrels run into the
front wheel spokes, half a rotation, full stop, OTB. Squirrels must be
the animals with the second-lowest IQ. Only turkeys are lower, they run
parallel to the singletrack, look at you, and then smack dab into the trail.

In any case my right side is REALLY sore. My right hip sustained some
road rash but just barely and the Pearl Izumi's didn't get any
visible damage. Good thing since they are top of the line and my
favorites. After I get back from a ride I can sit down for awhile
without getting sweat buildup and sores in my crotch before a shower.
None of the others will do that, it's straight into the shower no
matter how hard you've ridden.

Now I can't sleep well since I normally lay on my right side. And I
managed to hurt my shoulder a little more from the bad sleep. I'll
sure be glad when this heals up.

It reminds me of that insurance commercial where the squirrel is
throwing pine cones at someone's car.

A riding buddy hit a large pine cone with his MTB and had an instant
"involuntary dismount" like you did. The cone hadn't been there on the
way up, and then it was there.

I've had my cone comeuppance a different way. During a long desert drive
it got late. Aahhh, some trees, lets overnight there so we can sleep in
and won't be pelted by the morning sun. No tent needed, just roll out
the mats and the sleeping bags and the doze off. Shortly thereafter
phsss ... BUMPH. One of these had landed just a foot from my head:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/12...g?v=1506527768

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old October 31st 18, 01:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/30/2018 6:48 PM, wrote:
[...]

Sorry to hear about the crash, Tom. Hope you heal quickly.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 31st 18, 03:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, October 30, 2018 at 5:51:19 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/30/2018 6:48 PM, wrote:
[...]

Yes. Get well soon, but make sure you tell your physician about the head injury. Concussion is cumulative.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old October 31st 18, 05:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 16:28:37 -0700, Joerg wrote:

I've had my cone comeuppance a different way. During a long desert drive
it got late. Aahhh, some trees, lets overnight there so we can sleep in
and won't be pelted by the morning sun. No tent needed, just roll out
the mats and the sleeping bags and the doze off. Shortly thereafter
phsss ... BUMPH. One of these had landed just a foot from my head:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/12...er-pine-cones-

large-in-hand_1024x1024.jpg?v=1506527768

Naah, this is a "pine cone"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:A...illii_cone.jpg

Further info.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araucaria_bidwillii

The distribution is far wider than they say. I know/knew of one about 60
miles north of Sydney and would hold a ride every year in the hope of
scoreing some of the cones to take to our camp for roasting and boiling.

You'd also see them in moist gullies up the east coast when bushwalking.

Old October 31st 18, 02:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-10-30 21:18, news18 wrote:
[...]

Wow, everything seems to be bigger in Australia. Pine cones, snakes,
road trains. I didn't know you can roast and eat pine cones. In our area
only squirrels and a few other animals eat them but mostly only partially.

Old November 1st 18, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 06:58:47 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

On 2018-10-30 21:18, news18 wrote:
[...]

I suspect that the squirrels are eating the pine seeds contained in
the cone, not the cone itself :-)
cheers,

John B.

Old November 1st 18, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

On 2018-10-30 21:18, news18 wrote:
[...]

Ours eat them down to the core. What's left looks like a short stick.
Squirrels aren't very smart and they probably don't think about the
consequences of what they eat. I saw one scarf down a big mushroom the
size of a hand. The next day I saw a dead squirrel less than 10ft from
there. Who knows, maybe it wanted to go over the rainbow bridge with
some major brain fireworks.

Old November 1st 18, 04:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, October 31, 2018 at 7:15:27 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Snipped
Squirrels aren't very smart and they probably don't think about the
consequences of what they eat. I saw one scarf down a big mushroom the
size of a hand. The next day I saw a dead squirrel less than 10ft from
there. Who knows, maybe it wanted to go over the rainbow bridge with
some major brain fireworks.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Some people think that if they see a squirrel eating any mushroom that the mushroom is safe for humans too. That is utterly FALSE.

http://www.mushroomthejournal.com/gr...s/squir27.html

"According to Dr. John Rippon, an IMA member and world expert on fungal diseases, squirrels have an interesting adaptation that allows them to eat mushrooms containing deadly amanita-toxins without being affected. There are three important chemicals in the amanitas. Two will knock you right off, but are destroyed in cooking. The third one is the interesting one: it consists of the second amanitin, bound tightly to a glycoprotein molecule. When we digest the mushroom, the enzymes in our gut break the bond between the toxin and the glycoprotein, leaving the toxin free to enter our bloodstream, while the glycoprotein is excreted (a glycoprotein is a mucus molecule, in case you don't know). What the squirrels have done is line their gut with a toxin-compatible glycoprotein, so that as soon as it gets split from its original glycoprotein molecule, it gets rebound to the squirrel glycoprotein, and excreted along with it. Obviously, the squirrels don't cook their food to destroy the first two molecules, but presumably those get bound in exactly the same way. Thus, squirrels and a few other animals (guinea pigs also, I believe) can eat mushrooms that are highly toxic to other animals with no ill effects."

Also, certain amanita mushrooms/toadstools have a toxin that is NOT DESTROYED BY COOKING! Thus even if those are cooked they remain toxic to humans. Also, some varieties of the amanita genus of mushrooms/toadstools have NO KNOWN ANTIDOTE.

Cheers
Old November 1st 18, 03:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-10-31 20:27, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Yes, they can eat mushrooms. However, this fellow ate the whole thing
and it was bigger than he was. Gut lining only goes so far. I don't know
if it was him but the next day I found a dead squirrel of same
appearance not far from this spot and it didn't look like hit or
attacked by anything or fallen out of a tree (no high trees there).

Some humans do this stuff, too, for whatever reason, except they use
syringes.

Also, certain amanita mushrooms/toadstools have a toxin that is NOT
DESTROYED BY COOKING! Thus even if those are cooked they remain toxic
to humans. Also, some varieties of the amanita genus of
mushrooms/toadstools have NO KNOWN ANTIDOTE.

I know. That's why all my mushroom-collecting friends and relatives kept
saying not to eat any mushroom unless an expert has deemed it ok, and
only if you can really trust that person. My solution is to buy any
mushrooms I eat in the store.

Crash Tom Crispin UK 17 April 14th 08 03:11 AM
Crash! Tom Crispin UK 32 December 1st 07 01:19 PM
almost first crash Shumit UK 36 November 3rd 07 09:09 AM
Z's Crash Jack Hollis Racing 26 July 8th 05 02:37 PM
Crash TimC Australia 5 December 9th 04 10:12 PM