Horn Blowing = Lion's Roar?

Old May 1st 08, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Don Whybrow

Default Horn Blowing = Lion's Roar?

ComandanteBanana wrote:
On Apr 30, 12:07 pm, Don Whybrow wrote:
ComandanteBanana wrote:
As soon as the lion finds out that it's only a wimpy gazzelle...

Are you related to Eric Cantona by any chance?

Introduce me, please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTq6aApCBnA

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

The media finally figured out that their "paying customers"
(i.e. advertisers) don't WANT an intelligent, thoughtful
audience. And they no longer have one." (Rich Tietjens)
Old May 4th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default horns and roars of any kind are not welcome

(I'm quoting here an interesting dialog with the original poster that
interprets the use of the horn)

"I can not subscribe to the Us versus Them Lions vs. Sheep analogy
wholeheartedly since few of us are only cyclists or drivers. But I
will admit that there are those out there who are not about to be more
courteous drivers around cyclists unless they are confronted by many
more cyclists on the road and strong peer and legal pressures to be
careful passing them all or careful in how they startle with their
angry horns.

But we are only talking about the horn blowers who lean on their horns
or startle us with bad timing of horn blows; don't forget that there
are many who just use their horns to alert or say hi without adding
the hostility aspect."

I'd only ask you,

Who surround themselves with statues of lions, lion's emblems, and
lion's family crests?

Yes, pretty much the same ones who buy SUVs and then...

"One major problem of SUVs is that some drivers tend to contract SUV
invincibility syndrome, which manifests itself by aggressive behavior.
Infected individuals mistakenly reason that the sheer size of the
vehicle suddenly makes them supreme road worriers. In other words some
mild mannered women who drive SUVs become aggressive chicks with
dicks, and a few normal guys who drive SUVs become über dick heads."
http://www.phaster.com/road_trips/su...they_suck.html

Yep, the lion has to do with the vehicle you ride, though there are
exceptions to the rule. And some of us --myself included-- use cars,
but not more than what we need. We are the monkeys...

And horns and roars of any kind are not welcome.
Old May 4th 08, 05:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Sherman[_2_]

ComandanteBanana wrote:
[..]
And horns and roars of any kind are not welcome.

Nor is excessive and inappropriate cross-posting.

Old May 5th 08, 02:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On May 4, 12:42*pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
ComandanteBanana wrote:
[..]
And horns and roars of any kind are not welcome.

Nor is excessive and inappropriate cross-posting.

Sorry but the posts are "on subject"...

QUOTE(Keith C. Johns @ May 5 2008, 12:10 AM)
"But this thread is about ALL uses of the horn, not just by aggressive
drivers, and horn blows ARE used by good drivers as part of good
driving technique when used to alert others of their presence, and
other polite uses already mentioned. And it is useful to be able to
interpret the meaning behind these horn sounds and not get angry when
the message was not intended to be unfriendly. If you just assume that
any horn blow is mean spirited, you will probably be misinterpreting
many of these and possibly create conflicts with an aggressive
response. Better to realize that all horn blows are not bad, even
including some by drivers of FSUVs."

Well, I see some rare instances where blowing the horn may become
necessary, but I don't see the need to use to give so many different
messages that riders would have to decipher. When you are concentrated
in your thing, or tired from riding, you don't need to be guessing
people's intentions. And chances are you'll feel intimidated when you
have several tons of steel next to you...

Wouldn't it better to educate the drivers NOT to blow the horn at
cyclists?
Old May 7th 08, 03:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On May 4, 12:42 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
ComandanteBanana wrote:
[..]
And horns and roars of any kind are not welcome.

Nor is excessive and inappropriate cross-posting.

Nor constant whining. "Banana" needs to find another occupation.

- Frank Krygowski
Old May 7th 08, 03:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On May 4, 12:42 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
ComandanteBanana wrote:
[..]
And horns and roars of any kind are not welcome.

Nor is excessive and inappropriate cross-posting.

Nor constant whining. "Banana" needs to find another occupation.

he could try, oooooh... /cycling/? No, better not, it's apparently far
too dangerous with all the minefields, machine gun nests etc.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old May 7th 08, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
GeneralissimoApeshit

Default Horn Blowing = Loon's Roar?

On May 2, 11:35 pm, Jym Dyer wrote:
=v= Oh man, Commandante Ape****, your improved Subject: line
tipped me off to your email address. Insert smiley emoticons
right about here, with LOLs and ROFLs and such.

=v= So your previous "The Lyin'! The Lyin'!" message now makes
me think of Katherine Hepburn in _On_Golden_Pond_, if you know
what I mean. And I think you do.
_Jym_

"THE LOONS! THE LOONS!"

Fear the birds. And other types of loons.

P.S.: Address me as Generalissimo now, if you know what's good for
you.

The mouse that will roar William Asher Racing 0 January 9th 07 08:13 PM
You know it's blowing when ... Nick Kew UK 2 February 22nd 06 03:39 PM
Blowing the cobwebs off my MTB Ian B. UK 7 July 8th 05 12:36 AM
Blowing your nose Kenneth Clements UK 40 October 31st 03 01:46 PM
Rear Hub Bearing Roar S. Anderson General 2 October 22nd 03 12:10 PM