Beware-Weak Humor Alert

Old September 23rd 16, 12:55 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Default Beware-Weak Humor Alert

Hi Joshua I have just come across your post and must tell you that I have no arms and I have been cycling all my life. Regular two wheeler most of the time. However, I have ridden a Flevo for years with some success. Now I have a Kettweisel.

On Saturday, 5 July 2003 18:50:54 UTC+1, Joshua Goldberg wrote:
Yes, but your friend cannot steer the bike/bent without his vision.

A Seeing Eye dog might work but if it was distracted the rider would be
following where the dog goes, tree, fire hydrant, chasing a cat through the
garden of Cacti.

Seeing Eye dogs are trained to ignore almost all distractions (except one)
and that would be the Dreaded-Hot-Horney-Bitch with the Pink Leather collar.
Your seeing eye dog knows you cannot see him and what he is doing and what
doogie can resist some hot roadside luvin.
Dog looks at you on your bent..looks at FeeFee strutting her stuff with her
tail in the air...he looks at you...looks at FeeFee, you just know you are
going to be sitting on your bent in park waiting for your pooch to finish
making FeeFee howl like a Banshee and what if FeeFee plays hard to get and
dashes across 6 lanes of rush hour traffic with your dog and you in hot
pursuit.

Last Saturday noon I was riding down University Ave at a good clip (street
slopes down a bit). I then get something in my right eye. I only have one
eye and so I hit the brake (back brake wasn't connected). I glide to a stop,
take out my water bottle of Ice Water and splash water in eye and wipe with
a towel...vision restored....I seem to have come to a complete stop in the
middle of a busy intersection. All the cars took me in stride and drove
around me like it was normal to see a guy parked on a bent in the middle of
a very busy intersection.

But anyone who is blind would face the same problem of never knowing were he
is riding or where he has come to a stop and how would he know he has got to
where he was going ?
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 09:42:10 -0400, "Joshua Goldberg"
wrote:

cycling can be done by people with all kids of physical disabilities

except
for 2 biggies, no vision and no arms.

I'm not sure about the armless ones, but my mate Bob is a keen cyclist
(and an expert bike mechanic and wheelbuilder) despite having
absolutely no vision whatsoever. He rides a tandem and a group of us
take it in turns to take the captain's seat. Bob, of course, is in
the Admiral's seat :-)

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony.
http://www.chapmancentral.com
Advance notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP.
Obviously there will be a week of downtime between the engineer
removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same
equipment on the same line in the same exchange and billing it to
the new ISP.