Learning to ride....

Old July 4th 05, 05:01 AM
nxixcxk

Default Learning to ride....

I just bout a uni and have a few questions on how to mount/ride.

1. When mounting, is it a good idea to have both hands on the front of
the seat to protect my nuts? If I don't...everytime I try to mount it
feels like I get kicked in the nuts.

2. So far I have been keeping both hands on the front of the seat while
somewhat holding my body weight off (to alleviate stress on my nuts), is
this a good idea?

3. Should I remove my hands from the seat when I try to take my first
pedal?

Thanks for any suggestions...after 3 hours of practicing... I have a
stomach ache, since the nerves that innervate the nuts go right up into
the belly .

Oh and also, I'm not using a wall or any support device to start...would
I learn quicker if I used some sort of support device as oppose to
simply freestyling it?

--
nxixcxk
nxixcxk's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10250

Old July 4th 05, 05:31 AM
Denali

I just push them out in the front just before I mount. Wearing tight
shorts helps in keeping them out of the way...

I think if you are a beginner it would be useful if you spread your arms
out to aid balance instead of your hands on the saddle.And a support
device is better initially, as it helps you get used to pedaling for a
longer distance (compared to just freestyling it) and helps you ride in
a straight line once you get the hang of riding( pedaling a few
revolutions)...Once you can do that, let go of the wall opr fence or
whatver you were holding on do...

You can search for previous threads on similar issues..

P.S.- If you use a support system you can mount and then get your nuts
out of the way and continue practising until your nuts automatically get
out of the wayI don't know how that works but I don't "adjust" as
much as I used to when I started out..

--
Denali - Heil Denali
Denali's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9085

Old July 4th 05, 09:32 AM
GILD

get some cycling shorts
they help to keep them out the way for long periods of time

u can learn without using any kind of support
i suspect it might take a bit longer tho
if u do want to use support, use it to get used to the smoothly
rotational way u have to pedal in order to be able to ride the uni
make sure u keep all your wight on the seat

let us know how u get on

--
GILD - Waffle-Tosser, Time-bider and JCTK

if you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.--
'alice' (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/custom.html?) 'roosevelt'
(http://tinyurl.com/963jr) 'longworth' (http://tinyurl.com/78ybd)

I feel like a fugitive from the law of averages.-- 'william h mauldin'
(http://www.johnconyers.com/)

...using nietzsche's metaphysics to escape from
christianity...-'metro_tramp on the value of metaphysics'
(http://tinyurl.com/4sjw6)-
it's hard to be sure, and good to be paranoid...john childs on life on
the internet
'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purp...ld-in-time.php)

Old July 4th 05, 03:19 PM
habbywall

try doing the static mount first it is easier in my mind, also you
should hold onto something it will help you learn. you should also learn
the technique where your just turn your uni when your about to fall
cause it is helpful now and when you can ride if your about too fall
but the static mount is the easiest but i would recommend holding onto
something to mount and learn to mount after you can already ride.
and you dont have to get bike shorts get pull up all your "parts" then
get on the seat

--
habbywall

It takes twice the man to ride half the bike.
habbywall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10260

Old July 4th 05, 06:27 PM
nxixcxk

Ok thanks for the suggestions, I'm gonna go out and put em to use

Old July 5th 05, 02:04 AM
ksanunis

dont hold with two hands use one to kinda get a hold then let go if your
learning you want both hands for balence

--
ksanunis
ksanunis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9883