vale, Erwin Pesek

Old March 12th 12, 01:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default vale, Erwin Pesek

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/chi...6083&fhid=2602
(print edition had a very nice 1/4 page with racing photo)

photo, 2d from left:
http://classiccycleus.com/home/wp-co...rickjacoby.jpg

photo, jersey #13:
http://classiccycleus.com/home/wp-co...hot-tamale.jpg

Irv was more than a cyclist:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...g-day-normandy

"The price of liberty is eternal vigilance," Erwin said,
adding that veterans are the backbone of democracy.
In a common refrain Wednesday, Pesek said he was afraid
that although veterans will never forget, others will.
"They think it's a movie," Pesek said. "You're like
yesterday's news, like it never happened. You ask people
about D-Day--they don't even know what D-Day is."
Pesek lost many friends that day the Allies landed in
Normandy. On Wednesday, he wished aloud that the gathered
children would visit a national cemetery to see the rows of
soldiers' graves and understand freedom's cost.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old March 12th 12, 04:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Mar 11, 5:01 pm, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/chi...y.aspx?n=erwin...
(print edition had a very nice 1/4 page with racing photo)

photo, 2d from left:http://classiccycleus.com/home/wp-co...06/PesekPesekF...

photo, jersey #13:http://classiccycleus.com/home/wp-co...08/Jacoby-and-...

Irv was more than a cyclist:http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...070297_1_veter...

"The price of liberty is eternal vigilance," Erwin said,
adding that veterans are the backbone of democracy.
In a common refrain Wednesday, Pesek said he was afraid
that although veterans will never forget, others will.
"They think it's a movie," Pesek said. "You're like
yesterday's news, like it never happened. You ask people
about D-Day--they don't even know what D-Day is."
Pesek lost many friends that day the Allies landed in
Normandy. On Wednesday, he wished aloud that the gathered
children would visit a national cemetery to see the rows of
soldiers' graves and understand freedom's cost.

Unfortunate price. With all due respect, seems so unnecessary. Gotta
be a better way, a better "freedom", even.
Old March 12th 12, 06:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Dan O wrote:

AMuzi wrote:

* *Pesek lost many friends that day the Allies landed in
Normandy. On Wednesday, he wished aloud that the gathered
children would visit a national cemetery to see the rows of
soldiers' graves and understand freedom's cost.

Unfortunate price. *With all due respect, seems so unnecessary. *Gotta
be a better way, a better "freedom", even.

Yep. The "freedom" we won in WWII was the Red Scare, the Cold War,
and the MIC as we know it. Along with a lot of other side benefits
like persistent toxic chemicals from megacorps, millions of twisted
scarred-for-life *******s masquerading as normal men, undisclosed
releases of plutonium, etc. Oh, and concentration camps full of
American-born people of Japanese descent. We probably should have
kept those camps around so that gatherings of children could visit
them and begin to understand "freedom's" cost.

Here's a soldier's grave for kids to visit and think about:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparks68/530576975/

Chali

Old March 12th 12, 04:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Dan O wrote:
On Mar 11, 5:01 pm, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

It is indeed a high price.

http://vrritti.com/2011/12/17/ted-ta...peter-van-uhm/

or
http://preview.tinyurl.com/7p65upg

At 18 minutes, it's longish, by modern attention span
standards but a well considered viewpoint.

Old March 12th 12, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://vrritti.com/2011/12/17/ted-ta...gun-to-create-...

orhttp://preview.tinyurl.com/7p65upg

At 18 minutes, it's longish, by modern attention span
standards but a well considered viewpoint.

That was, also, a well-considered rhetorical presentation.
One important (IMHO) take-away is the demeanor of the Amsterdam
audience. Like Pops Staples said, "Let the gentleman do his thing
("Respect Yourself"). You can bet there were many present who were
biting tongues but I didn't hear a peep, and only one stir of random
coughing that I would bet was entirely "biological". Either being old
enough to remember yourself, or having parents and relatives tell
stories of seeing German parachutists invading Dutch cities might have
had something to do with that. As well as might having memories and
stories of family members and neighbors being taken away to serve as
slave labor, or soldiers, never to be seen again.

(opinion) It's not the soldiers that are "the problem", it's the
politicians.
--D-y
Old March 12th 12, 06:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

Chalo wrote:
Dan O wrote:

AMuzi wrote:

Pesek lost many friends that day the Allies landed in
Normandy. On Wednesday, he wished aloud that the gathered
children would visit a national cemetery to see the rows of
soldiers' graves and understand freedom's cost.

Unfortunate price. With all due respect, seems so unnecessary. Gotta
be a better way, a better "freedom", even.

Yep. The "freedom" we won in WWII was the Red Scare, the Cold War,
and the MIC as we know it. Along with a lot of other side benefits
like persistent toxic chemicals from megacorps, millions of twisted
scarred-for-life *******s masquerading as normal men, undisclosed
releases of plutonium, etc. Oh, and concentration camps full of
American-born people of Japanese descent. We probably should have
kept those camps around so that gatherings of children could visit
them and begin to understand "freedom's" cost.

As usual, we don't know what the alternative would have been. If we'd
let Hitler have Western Europe, let Stalin have Eastern Europe, and let
the Japanese have the western Pacific region would things really have
worked out better? Seems unlikely.

It's interesting to me that Christianity has officially abandoned the
"turn the other cheek" idea, at least with respect to accepting that
there can be "just war." And of course, there are others that think,
with some historic justification, that pacifism can become ethnic suicide.

Maybe the solution is to be pacifist on a one-to-one basis, but to
reluctantly accept that fighting might become necessary, as an absolute
last resort, when conflicts become bigger.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 12th 12, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mar 12, 12:03*pm, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
Chalo wrote:
Dan O wrote:

AMuzi wrote:

[...]

So where do we stand on the bananna wars in Central America? Pineapple
plantations in Hawaii? Just for a couple of quickies off the top of my
head...
--D-y
Old March 12th 12, 06:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

On 3/12/2012 1:04 AM, Chalo wrote:
Dan O wrote:

AMuzi wrote:

[...]

http://www.warpoetry.co.uk/owen1.html

"My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
Pro patria mori."

He was a veteran, too.
Old March 12th 12, 07:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:
Chalo wrote:
Dan O wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
[...]

I merely quoted a recently dead and amazingly accomplished
man who had, deservedly, my respect.

Read into that whatever you wish.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Hidden Vale Epic- any Brisbane Unicyclists competing? GizmoDuck Unicycling 1 November 10th 05 08:13 AM
Vale Mike "The Bike" Nassan Peter McCallum Australia 0 July 19th 05 06:48 AM
Erwin Ballarta & Borlee RicodJour Racing 0 July 11th 05 12:42 AM
Moss Vale - Bowral Owen Cook Australia 0 April 9th 05 01:00 PM
New to Kensington/Ascot Vale, need advice on where to cycle Claes Australia 10 February 9th 05 06:08 AM