My first crash.

Old February 24th 04, 12:56 AM
Simon Mason

Default My first crash.

Well, I suppose one crash in 6 years isn't bad. I had left my car at a
garage for service/repairs/MOT etc. and taken my bike off the rear
rack and rode to work. On the way back to pick it up, I rode around a
roundabout, the same roundabout I use every day, except that I took a
different line as ironically my car was waiting to be picked up at the
second exit of this roundabout and I usually take the first. The next
thing I knew, my front wheel lost grip and I ended up gashing my
ankle, banging my knee and ended with a large blow to my unhelmeted
bonce.

I staggered into the garage on foot and to add insult to injury
(literally) was forced to pay 450 quid for car repairs, which had
single handedly wiped out all of the petrol savings for a whole year I
save by cycle commuting. After putting the bike on the rear rack, I
drove to the nearest police station to report the accident, as it was
an RTA with injuries. They weren't interested, but I stood there until
they logged it, which eventually they did. As there was a head injury
involved they strongly advised me to go to A+E, but I went home
instead. There was no way I was going to sit in A+E for 5 hours only
for them to tell me to clear off home and rest. Soon after, a police
officer rang me to ask me how I was and told me he had come off his
motorbike at the exact same spot!

The next night I went out for a 20-mile run, but my confidence was
shot; I was convinced that I was going to fall off at every bend. Also
my rear derailleur must have been damaged, as I could not get the 6th
and 7th cog on the rear cassette. I went home and adjusted the rear
mech and headed out again. I had to find out why I came off, so I was
bizarrely stood in the middle of this roundabout seeing if there was
any oil on the road by rubbing my foot on it. There was a slight
slippery spot, so I guess there must have been some oil that had
become lethal as the first bit of rain fell that evening.

My work mates said that they had told me that cycling was dangerous,
at the same time as a second colleague was hospitalised by a heart
attack...

Simon Mason
Kingston upon Hull.
Old February 24th 04, 01:51 AM
davebee

Boooo. Sorry to hear about you accident. keep on riding though. I ha d
bit of an accident about 3 months ago when 3 pedestrians stepped ou
from in front of a bus stopped at a bus stop, and I went over th
handlebars. Scary moment. I always wear a helmet now, but it hasn'
stopped me riding. I know there is loads of dispute about helmets bu
one makes me feel safer

-

Old February 24th 04, 01:57 AM
Pete Biggs

Simon Mason wrote:
The next night I went out for a 20-mile run, but my confidence was
shot; I was convinced that I was going to fall off at every bend.

Bad luck with the crash. I know exactly what that feeling is like but
confidence will gradually return to 97% of what it was before too long.
That little bit of extra caution will do you good when it comes to dealing
with wet and icy bends. Oil is terribly lethal though: there's not a lot
you can do about it apart from riding at under 5mph all the time - so,
really, we have to take our chances with it. Fortunately, oil/diesel
patches slippery enough on bends in just the "right" places are very few
and far between. I've only ever slipped over on oil once: very scary and
painful. Skidding on it on the straight is just as scary but quite fun
once you realise you're still upright and in one piece :-)

Also
my rear derailleur must have been damaged, as I could not get the 6th
and 7th cog on the rear cassette.

Frame's gear hanger might be bent (can be straightened if integral steel
type). That's more common than damaged mechs.

~PB

Old February 24th 04, 09:42 AM
MSeries

Yikes, hope you suffer/suffered no after effects. Take it easy out there.
Unfortunatley these things do happen.

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.
http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

Old February 24th 04, 10:50 AM
2LAP

MSeries wrote:
Yikes, hope you suffer/suffered no after effects. Take it easy out
there. Unfortunatley these things do happen.
--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.
http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk/h...reeserve.co.uk

I have about one crash a year of varying severity; from just falling a
tram lines to wiping out on bends

My most recent was when I was decending in the peaks and made th
decision to straighten up to brake rather than go around a corner at 4
mph. The bike stopped literaly 2 cm from a dry stone wall. My lif
flashed before my eyes

Following crashes I've been in hospital once for 2 days and on an MT
session we had to call out an air ambulance when somone hit a tree an
broke three ribs and his hip into 3 sections

It would seem that crashes are a part of cycling, no matter how safe yo
are you can't depend upon others being safe!!! After a crash it take
about 10 mins to get up to speed

-

Old February 24th 04, 12:40 PM
David Martin

On 24/2/04 9:50 am, in article ,
"2LAP" wrote:

MSeries wrote:
Yikes, hope you suffer/suffered no after effects. Take it easy out
there. Unfortunatley these things do happen.
--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.
http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk/h...reeserve.co.uk

I have about one crash a year of varying severity; from just falling at
tram lines to wiping out on bends.

Thats about one more than me. Maybe it's something to do with riding style?

My most recent was when I was decending in the peaks and made the
decision to straighten up to brake rather than go around a corner at 45
mph. The bike stopped literaly 2 cm from a dry stone wall. My life
flashed before my eyes.

Ahh.. maybe there are lessons to be learned there.

Following crashes I've been in hospital once for 2 days and on an MTB
session we had to call out an air ambulance when somone hit a tree and
broke three ribs and his hip into 3 sections.

My last crash that required hospital treatment was in 1987. That was severe
road rash.

It would seem that crashes are a part of cycling, no matter how safe you
are you can't depend upon others being safe!!! After a crash it takes
about 10 mins to get up to speed.

They may be part of your cycling but I sure as anything try to make sure
they are not part of mine. Sure I have fallen off a few times but crashes
that require medical attention have been virtually non-existent. Maybe it is
down to riding style.

...d

Old February 24th 04, 12:44 PM
Clive George

"2LAP" wrote in message

I have about one crash a year of varying severity; from just falling at
tram lines to wiping out on bends.

does that include MTBing falls? If so, that's pretty good, if not, that's
pretty apalling. No wonder you think bike riding is dangerous.

clive

Old February 24th 04, 12:57 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Commiserations! At least you now have some road rash to show you are a
real cyclist. :-)

And commisserations from me. What Simon now needs is one of these..

http://www.primalwear.com/2004site/2...RTS/OTBSC.html

....an official Over The Bar Scar Club t-shirt :-)

Cheers, helen s

to get correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o* *l.c**$*$om$$

Old February 24th 04, 12:57 PM
MSeries

2LAP wrote:
MSeries wrote:
Yikes, hope you suffer/suffered no after effects. Take it easy out
there. Unfortunatley these things do happen.
--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.

http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk/h...reeserve.co.uk

I have about one crash a year of varying severity; from just falling
at tram lines to wiping out on bends.

Thats a higher average than I have.

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.
http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

Mayo Crash: Nozal involved? hotbanjo Racing 5 July 8th 04 09:01 PM
Coker crash J.D. Miller Unicycling 32 November 12th 03 06:49 PM
First crash today Luigi de Guzman General 22 August 14th 03 12:48 PM
Lance / Mayo crash chronology, and pedal controversy MrBob Racing 6 July 22nd 03 10:49 PM