Schwinn vs Huffy

Old December 28th 04, 10:47 PM
PSB

Default Schwinn vs Huffy

Learning toward one or the other for buying a new dept store bicycle. I
know what to look for when it comes to assembling them. The bike is
going to be used as a commuter. The Huffy's are about 30 dollars cheaper
and both have Shamino gears. Just curious if I should spend the 30 bucks
more for a Schwinn or not. If you are going to reply that I should buy
from an LBS, save your bandwidth.

So which would you recommend?
Old December 28th 04, 11:03 PM

PSB wrote:
Learning toward one or the other for buying a new dept store bicycle.

know what to look for when it comes to assembling them. The bike is
going to be used as a commuter. The Huffy's are about 30 dollars

cheaper
and both have Shamino gears. Just curious if I should spend the 30

bucks
more for a Schwinn or not. If you are going to reply that I should

buy
from an LBS, save your bandwidth.

So which would you recommend?

Neither. As commuters, they would probably do OK. But they are cheap
junk, and possibly like throwing money away. If you search in this
newsgroup for "Carl Fogel" "Roadmaster" and "Fury", you will find the
saga of a cheap dept. store bike.

You /should/ buy from your LBS. But not a new bike. A used one. A
decent, well-maintained, used bike can cost only a bit more than a new
dept. store bike-shaped toy, and is likely to have better components.
This means that you might get more life out of your used bike than you
would out of a new bike-shaped toy from some *Mart.

Locally, the LBSs have quite a bit of used inventory that they are
willing to make deals on because in our corner of North America, it's
winter, and bikes don't sell well here in the winter.
Good luck.

HAND,

E.P.

Old December 29th 04, 03:02 PM
Ken Pisichko

I basically agree with this article.

If you want cheap - then buy the cheapest. If you want something suitable
for commuting then start looking at more than the two cheap bicycles you
indicate. When i go to garage and other sales i see so many cheap bikes -
and then when i ask why they did not use the bikes the folks say the bike
did not fit, it did not work properly, it did not...

Cheap bikes might be OK for a spin around the block but that is IT!!

Get a used bike with good components. Who cares if it does not have the
latest in gadgetry?? I bought a 20 year old Peugeot at a garage sale and
with several adjustments to the seat and front bars it will be great for
commuting. It would be better to have fenders on it, but for $20 I guess I
can get fenders and still be farther ahead than buying a new bike similar
to what you are looking at.

Think outside the box and look at a quality used bike that will be much
more suitable for your needs as compared to the 2 new ones you are enamored
with...

Old December 28th 04, 11:10 PM

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 16:47:35 -0500, PSB
wrote:

Learning toward one or the other for buying a new dept store bicycle. I
know what to look for when it comes to assembling them. The bike is
going to be used as a commuter. The Huffy's are about 30 dollars cheaper
and both have Shamino gears. Just curious if I should spend the 30 bucks
more for a Schwinn or not. If you are going to reply that I should buy
from an LBS, save your bandwidth.

So which would you recommend?

Dear Dyslexic PBS,

I doubt [modest cough] that you will hear from anyone who
has wasted more time and bandwidth here extolling the
glories of such value-for-money steeds.

(I also doubt that anyone will recommend either brand.)

But I'm pleased with my $60 Fury RoadMaster from Walmart
and its fifteen fierce Shamino gears.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ... 4#long_descr

As far as I can tell, the Fury rolls four miles along its
daily route with reasonable splendour, gnashing its teeth as
befits its name.

Most two-wheeled objects with pedals do the same.

Carl Fogel
Old December 28th 04, 11:52 PM

If the Schwinn has a frame mounted derailleur go that
way you won't regret it.

I MTB 2004

Old December 29th 04, 09:02 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Get one that fits. Open bearing assemblies, grease them and adjust
properly. Spend a bit of time lubricating and adjusting the brake and gear
systems. Tension the wheels and ride it.

Visions of Dave Stoller in his garage go dancing through my head...

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old December 29th 04, 06:58 PM
Mark Janeba

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
Get one that fits. Open bearing assemblies, grease them and adjust
properly. Spend a bit of time lubricating and adjusting the brake and gear
systems. Tension the wheels and ride it.

Visions of Dave Stoller in his garage go dancing through my head...

With the dramatic "BIG" music playing in the background, coming to a
crescendo just as the scene cuts to the little 500... ah, yes.

Mark Janeba

Old December 31st 04, 12:37 AM
Diablo Scott

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

Visions of Dave Stoller in his garage go dancing through my head...

Did you know that the movie while they were filming was tentatively
titled "Bambino"? I can't imagine it would have been as good without
the multiple meanings of "Breaking Away" as a title.

--
My bike blog:
http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/
Old December 29th 04, 03:23 PM
Ron Hardin

A Muzi wrote:
Get one that fits. Open bearing assemblies, grease them and
adjust properly. Spend a bit of time lubricating and
adjusting the brake and gear systems. Tension the wheels and
ride it.

Fix what needs fixing when it proves it needs fixing. If you have
a tinkering fixation, that's another matter. You may enjoy it.

My Huffys work fine until something needs attention, and then I
attend to it. Bearings never have needed opening. Lubricate the
chain when it squeaks.

Every 10k miles or so, replace BB chainwheel chain and freewheel
together, when the chain finally starts popping off the chainwheel
startups. Huffy sells replacements over the phone.

The wheels are the best I've ever had, in not needing any attention
at all. I have 48k miles on the rear wheel, and it carries 40 lbs
of groceries a good part of the time too. No wobble, no squeak, no
anything. It's a MTB rim of course.

Mostly it's brake adjustment or freeing-up, or the great transmission
periodic replacement paroxysm.

Oh a wheel bearing needed a squirt of 3-in-1 last year. It was
squeaking.

These aren't Campy parts that you might want to have a fascination with.

--
Ron Hardin

Schwinn vs Huffy PSB General 55 January 6th 05 05:36 AM
Bicycle maker Huffy seeks shield Garrison Hilliard General 4 October 22nd 04 02:25 PM
Low end schwinn... rick General 14 August 11th 04 03:59 PM
Schwinn Backpedaling Garrison Hilliard General 11 March 24th 04 02:27 PM
Schwinn Backpedaling Garrison Hilliard Techniques 9 March 22nd 04 05:31 AM