Differential

Old September 11th 05, 02:43 PM
Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic

Default Differential

Edward Dolan wrote:
"Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic" wrote in message
oups.com...

Edward Dolan wrote:
Quads make no sense at all unless you are planning to mount a motor on
them.
Once you do that, you no longer have a bike, you have a motor vehicle....

The primary disadvantages of a quad compared to a trike are the extra
weight, cost and complexity of the frame. However, the quad does have
certain advantages.

A quad has only 2 wheel tracks when traveling in a straight line and
for practical purposes can be considered to have only 2 wheel tracks
while performing large radius turns. A trike [1] will have 3 wheel
tracks, of course. This may lead to seriously increased rolling
resistance for the trike in snow or on certain other loose surfaces.

The second disadvantage of 3 wheel tracks compared to 2 wheel tracks is
that it becomes much more difficult to avoid smaller potholes and
debris. Unsuspended trikes can be quite hard on their riders on poor
surfaces, and adding suspension pushes a trike towards the same
category as an unsuspended quad in terms of cost, weight and
complexity.

[...]

I remember when I got my first trike how the 3 tracks were something I had
to get used to. 3 tracks are a major complication of all trikes and
something that I don't like much for the reasons you state above. Bicycles,
with their single track, are ideal of course.

Another area where a quad may be superior is on unimproved roads. Many
of these will have rutted tracks from motor vehicles (e.g. farm
equipment, logging trucks, etc.). It is much easier to straddle the
ruts with a 2 track HPV than with a 3 track HPV.
--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old September 11th 05, 02:55 PM
Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic

LoGo USA wrote:
For a trike and a quad with the same weight, height of
center of mass and track width, the trike will be more
likely to tip since the stabilizing moment arm will be
shorter for any practical design. For example, in a
tadpole with equal weight distribution, this distance
(and therefore the vehicle's maximum lateral g-force)
would be about two-thirds that for a quad. Under real
world conditions, an aggressive tadpole rider will
compensate for this condition by shifting his body
weight (fairly radically) into the turn.

Do women not ride trikes, or do they only ride trikes in a
"non-aggressive" manner?

I believe weight shift on a trike is often overstated. The human spine
is not that flexible laterally, so the shift in the rider's center of
mass relative to the trike will be fairly small (much less that the
rider of an upright bicycle or motorcycle can achieve). However,
leaning into the turn has a great psychological effect in that it makes
the trike feel much less likely to roll over. Motor vehicle driver will
also often lean into turns, even though the movement of the combined
center of mass is negligible for even a small motor vehicle (e.g.
Formula V car).
--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old September 11th 05, 02:59 PM
Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic

Edward Dolan wrote:
Wayne LoGo, the Poet of ARBR, ought to stick to his poetry and leave the
physics to Tom Sherman. Who knows who is right - and who cares. It is all
gobbledygook and there is not one person in a hundred who will know what
either one of them is talking about. That is one thing that can never be
said of me.

Why are people so proud of being technically ignorant? Much of the
incorrect "conventional wisdom" in cycling would never have come about
if people had a working knowledge of basis statics, kinematics,
dynamics and material behavior.
--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old September 11th 05, 05:35 PM
LoGo USA

Hey guys -

Tom teased (I hope!):

Do women not ride trikes, or do they only ride
trikes in a "non-aggressive" manner?

I'm sorry. Is that two separate but related questions,
or multiple choice? ;-) If Tom's point was to register
an objection to my use of the pronoun 'his' as an
efficient reference to a tadpole rider regardless of
his/her/its gender, please, everyone, consider me cued.
There will no need for future repetitions.

However, also be aware that my PC is not PC, and simply
refuses to type 'his/her/its' unless it's serving some
useful purpose. In much the same way, I'll leave it to
you guys (here as always meaning both males and females,
as well as those with indeterminate gender and/or some
confusion about gender identity) to figure out what 'PC'
means in whichever context.

... the shift in the rider's center of mass relative to
the trike will be fairly small...

A modern narrow-track tadpole's center of gravity is less
than ten inches inboard from the effective axis of rotation
for a tip-over. If that equates to something like 0.6 Gs,
then the rider swinging his upper torso and head even five
inches inboard and forward (i.e., closer to the two-wheeled
'axle') will give HIM(!) another 0.1 G or so pad. Even a
trike rider who lacks the typically large and heavy human
brain is likely to have a very thick skull of about equal
weight. One well-known trikey of this type indicates (often
and repeatedly) that he doesn't go fast enough for tipping
over to be an issue anyway.

Of course, leaning on a tadpole does not serve the same
function as on a bike - where it's almost essential. But
it certainly isn't only for the "psychological effect".

Motor vehicle driver [sic] will also often
lean into turns...

Only one driver does that? My point being: nobody's prefect
[Please note: apparent error intentional!]. Now is there
any chance that we will ever be able to keep on-topic
threads on topic, rather than pointlessly nitpicking?

Regards,
Wayne

Old September 12th 05, 01:17 PM
Edward Dolan

"Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic" wrote in message
ps.com...

Edward Dolan wrote:
Wayne LoGo, the Poet of ARBR, ought to stick to his poetry and leave the
physics to Tom Sherman. Who knows who is right - and who cares. It is all
gobbledygook and there is not one person in a hundred who will know what
either one of them is talking about. That is one thing that can never be
said of me.

Why are people so proud of being technically ignorant? Much of the
incorrect "conventional wisdom" in cycling would never have come about
if people had a working knowledge of basis statics, kinematics,
dynamics and material behavior.

Why are technical people so proud of never being understood except by other
nerds. An engineer or scientist who can write in such a way that the common
man can understand what is being said is worth his weight in gold. You come
closer to this standard than does Wayne LoGo, the Poet of ARBR, which is why
I recommended that he stay on poetry and leave the technical explanations to
you.

You need to work more on your explanations so as to be more easily
understood. No no one will bother with technical terms and engineering
jargon. Most young people are turned off of science and engineering because
the teaching of those subjects is so bad.

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old September 13th 05, 07:25 AM
Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic

Edward Dolan wrote:
You need to work more on your explanations so as to be more easily
understood....

recumbents good

ReBike slowest recumbent

NoCom fastest recumbent

Earth Cycles Sunset Lowracer [TM] most fun recumbent

ed dolan understand?

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old September 13th 05, 07:57 AM
LoGo USA

Hey guys -

First lots of long words, then Tom asked:

[TROLL] understand?

Those big old words are much too hard.
They hurt a mind that's dull and scarred
From long, long nights of too much wine.

Just use short words and he'll be fine.

If one rides straight (to go to town?),
His weight will help to hold him down,
But if he takes a turn too fast
(Which some strange folks think is a blast),
He'll feel a force like he might tip,
And trikes are, well, more apt to flip
Than quads, whose wheels are out so far
That one won't fall out on the tar.

If some poor TROLL does not quite get
The drift of this, he must not fret.
There is no test he has to pass;
At worst he'll fall out on his ass.

Bye,
Wayne

Old September 13th 05, 08:29 AM
Edward Dolan

Edward Dolan wrote:
You need to work more on your explanations so as to be more easily
understood....

recumbents good

ReBike slowest recumbent

NoCom fastest recumbent

Earth Cycles Sunset Lowracer [TM] most fun recumbent

ed dolan understand?

Here is the complete previous post:

Why are technical people so proud of never being understood except by
other

nerds. An engineer or scientist who can write in such a way that the common
man can understand what is being said is worth his weight in gold. You come
closer to this standard than does Wayne LoGo, the Poet of ARBR, which is why
I recommended that he stay on poetry and leave the technical explanations to
you.

You need to work more on your explanations so as to be more easily

understood. No no one will bother with technical terms and engineering
jargon. Most young people are turned off of science and engineering because
the teaching of those subjects is so bad.

Tom Sherman has never learned how to properly edit. He only quotes so as to
make himself appear not to be overly stupid, but he never succeeds in that
endeavor with me. I know him to be fairly stupid on most subjects.

He is an engineering nerd who does not have a clue about what makes human
beings go round. Remember the type in college? They walk around with their
rules and measures and generally looked like the jerks that they were. Tom
Sherman continues to play the fool. He has never grown up. What he thinks is
funny is merely pathetic. He is the eternal klutz who thinks he is cool and
yet always comes across as a simpleton to any one who has the least
sophistication. I would feel sorry for him if I wasn't so disgusted with
him.

Old September 13th 05, 09:08 AM
Edward Dolan

"LoGo USA" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey guys -

First lots of long words, then Tom asked:

[TROLL] understand?

Those big old words are much too hard.
They hurt a mind that's dull and scarred
From long, long nights of too much wine.

Just use short words and he'll be fine.

Just lose the physics jargon.

But why aren't you posting on your favorite subject - **** and cum? We want
to hear what you think of masturbation and of relieving yourself via the
anus as you have set yourself up as the expert on these two subjects. Do not
spare us any details either as we need to know what your expert opinion is.
X-rated Jim and Slugger will especially want to know what you have to say as
they are just as fascinated by these subjects as you are.
[...]

If some poor TROLL does not quite get
The drift of this, he must not fret.
There is no test he has to pass;
At worst he'll fall out on his ass.

Good! The ass is always something we want to know about. But hey, Wayne
LameBrain, are you referencing the ass with respect to the excretory
function or possibly the sexual function. Again, we need to know what you
are thinking in greater detail since you have set yourself up as the expert
on these subjects.

Wayne LameBrain knows all about **** and cum. He writes most eloquently on
these two subjects. There is no doubt at all that he speaks from personal
experience in both these spheres. I would like to know which he prefers
himself. Does he prefer to relieve himself via the rectum or genitally.
Perhaps he could elaborate on these mysteries in his next message to the
newsgroup. After all, we do not want a rich resource in the area of **** and
cum like Wayne LameBrain to go to waste when we could all benefit from his
wisdom.

Old September 14th 05, 10:22 AM

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 03:08:26 -0500, "Edward Dolan"
wrote and tried to proposition all the nem in th ng:

Youare the only one mentioning matters anal, eddieboy. I woder why?
Are yying to heat someone up so you can get a date? Turning to men
because you've told us no woman will have a thing to do with you?

Yep, that must be it, eddieboy is out of the closet. Quick, everybody,
send him a pastel gift.

jim

What are 'differential' brakes? Simon Brooke UK 14 July 26th 04 09:35 PM
Young cyclist killed Brian General 208 February 12th 04 01:09 AM
differentials catabong Recumbent Biking 10 October 17th 03 04:37 PM
front chainring differential affects derailleur? David Bruno Techniques 1 September 16th 03 07:11 AM