Seals for cups and spindle and cups bottom bracket?

Old June 13th 08, 12:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Default Seals for cups and spindle and cups bottom bracket?

wrote:
Have there been thin seals, rubber donuts, or gaskets that would rest
between the bearing cages and cups to reduce the amount of water that
can contaminate bottom bracket bearings?

yes, there are several pre-cartridge designs that have them.

I wondered whether in wet
climates, say England, such existed, before sealed bottom brackets
appeared.

jim beam wrote:
trouble is, for those kind of bb's, the moisture usually gets into the
bearing from within, not without. i.e. down the seat tube, etc. the
best solution is to drill the bb to allow water an exit rather than keep
it in where it causes harm. many higher quality frames come with
pre-drilled bb's for exactly this purpose. particularly when used in
conjunction with marine grease, such a simple device is remarkably
effective.

wrote:
I think I've read the complete Jobst Brandt. Doesn't help me much in
this inquiry.

This is really simple. I look at the gap between a Campy cup and the
spindle, and say: I'd like to reduce by 95% the amount of water that
creeps in when riding in the rain, and I'm willing to put out 5-50
times the number watts I'd save from switching from metal to ceramic
balls to do it. smile Even 5 watts. I don't expect the BB grease to
NOT get contaminated and soapy from water. I'd just like to extend the
service interval from 1000 miles and 2 months to 5000 miles and 1
year. Is there a teflon-coated neoprene-like gasket that will do
that?

Let me put it another way: Lizard Skins sells a big condom for your
headset bearings. Does it increase friction? No doubt. Leak-proof.
Probably not. Reduce headset maintenance? Likely.

Or, Andrew: If you put super-heavy grease between the ball bearing
carrier and the cup: Does/would that reduce water contamination?

Yes, to some extent. Your Campagnolo cups have a reversed-groove pattern
along the surface by the spindle. In theory, excess grease should be
pushed out along with water/crud.

Mr Beam makes an important point about contaminants from inside the
frame - Use a bearing liner! The 'accordion' type are an elegant design
but your original two-piece Campagnolo liner is effective. Don't spare
the grease.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/