Avocet 50 replacement

Old June 14th 08, 04:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
keithv

Default Avocet 50 replacement

Well, after many many years my Avocet 50 finally won't
work--the computer is ok, I think the contacts won't
contact anymore.

Anyway, does anyone have suggestions for a comparable
replacement? I did a quick search here and saw mentioned
Ciclosport CM434 but that doesn't seem to be made anymore.

Thanks,
Keith
Old June 14th 08, 07:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

"keithv" wrote in message
| Well, after many many years my Avocet 50 finally won't
| work--the computer is ok, I think the contacts won't
| contact anymore.
|
| Anyway, does anyone have suggestions for a comparable
| replacement? I did a quick search here and saw mentioned
| Ciclosport CM434 but that doesn't seem to be made anymore.
|
| Thanks,
| Keith

It seems tougher to do a good altimeter bike computer than it ought to be.
We have, however, had very good success with the Trek Incite ACH (not the
"digital" version), which you might be able to find for less than $100. It's
been very reliable, doesn't give the inflated climbing figures that the
Cateye AT100 did, and includes a heart monitor as well. But wait, there's
more! If you care about cadence, you can install an optional mount that
comes with it. You lose the total wireless aspect of the computer when you
do that (because the cadence pickup has a wire than runs to the computer
harness), and most of my customers opt for it with the wireless non-cadence
mount. There may be other similar computers out there, but this one's worked
very well for us.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old June 14th 08, 05:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Jun 13, 11:14*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
"keithv" wrote in message

| Well, after many many years my Avocet 50 finally won't
| work--the computer is ok, I think the contacts won't
| contact anymore.
|
| Anyway, does anyone have suggestions for a comparable
| replacement? I did a quick search here and saw mentioned
| Ciclosport CM434 but that doesn't seem to be made anymore.
|
| Thanks,
| Keith

It seems tougher to do a good altimeter bike computer than it ought to be.
We have, however, had very good success with the Trek Incite ACH (not the
"digital" version), which you might be able to find for less than $100. It's
been very reliable, doesn't give the inflated climbing figures that the
Cateye AT100 did, and includes a heart monitor as well. But wait, there's
more! If you care about cadence, you can install an optional mount that
comes with it. You lose the total wireless aspect of the computer when you
do that (because the cadence pickup has a wire than runs to the computer
harness), and most of my customers opt for it with the wireless non-cadence
mount. There may be other similar computers out there, but this one's worked
very well for us.

--Mike-- * * Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

I want the cyclometer with the inflated climbing figures -- and
inflated mileage and speed figures, too -- sort of the cycling
equivalent of those relaxed fit pants that say 34" on the waiste but
are really 35". -- Jay Beattie.

Avocet?!? Sir, It's Just Me Techniques 2 November 13th 05 10:19 PM
does anyone carry avocet? Need Avocet 50 replacement [email protected] Techniques 16 July 7th 05 06:30 AM
avocet display dnacowboy Techniques 3 April 21st 05 03:36 PM
Fs: Avocet 45 Tt lozes Marketplace 0 January 28th 05 01:42 PM