Chain Advice

Old June 12th 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Arthur Shapiro

Default Chain Advice

I guess this gets rehashed every so often, but I'd welcome current thinking.

The machine is a Campy Record 10sp. Habanero road cycle. It's getting about
that time for a new chain.

Do I just go out and buy a Campy Record chain, as usual, or is there something
"better" - cheaper, lighter, make me ride 2 MPH faster, etc., etc?

And I've never before used a Connex or whatever removable link. Trying to
clean the chain on the bike just isn't as good as plunking the thing in an
ultrasonic cleaner. What would folks consider a decent link, or are they
really not recommended by the people who know what they're doing?

Thanks for any advice.

Art

Old June 13th 08, 12:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jun 12, 5:54*pm, (Arthur Shapiro) wrote:
I guess this gets rehashed every so often, but I'd welcome current thinking.

The machine is a Campy Record 10sp. Habanero road cycle. *It's getting about
that time for a new chain.

Do I just go out and buy a Campy Record chain, as usual, or is there something
"better" - cheaper, lighter, make me ride 2 MPH faster, etc., etc?

KMC X10SL in GOLD + zip some chest hair into jersey zipper for final
sprint! Guaranteed to make you somewhat more agitated and possibly
faster with bling between your legs.

Old June 13th 08, 01:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Jun 12, 4:54*pm, (Arthur Shapiro) wrote:
I guess this gets rehashed every so often, but I'd welcome current thinking.

The machine is a Campy Record 10sp. Habanero road cycle. *It's getting about
that time for a new chain.

Do I just go out and buy a Campy Record chain, as usual, or is there something
"better" - cheaper, lighter, make me ride 2 MPH faster, etc., etc?

And I've never before used a Connex or whatever removable link. *Trying to
clean the chain on the bike just isn't as good as plunking the thing in an
ultrasonic cleaner. *What would folks consider a decent link, or are they
really not recommended by the people who know what they're doing?

Thanks for any advice.

Art

Least expensive compatible chain. All 10s chains are now 5,9mm, so any
of them. Campagnolo, altho expensive, work really well, but I rec.
Veloce, NOT Record or Chorus.
Old June 13th 08, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Arthur Shapiro

In article , Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
but I rec.
Veloce, NOT Record or Chorus.

Care to elaborate? Purely cost vs. weight issue, or something more subtle.

Art
Old June 13th 08, 05:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
C. Ballou

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 05:52:35 -0700 (PDT), Qui si parla Campagnolo
wrote:

[...]

Can you give an opinion on which, if any, of the replacable
links work well with these chains? Been using the SuperLink with
limited success. Thanks.

Old June 13th 08, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Jun 12, 4:54 pm, (Arthur Shapiro) wrote:
I guess this gets rehashed every so often, but I'd welcome current thinking.

The machine is a Campy Record 10sp. Habanero road cycle. It's getting about
that time for a new chain.

Do I just go out and buy a Campy Record chain, as usual, or is there something
"better" - cheaper, lighter, make me ride 2 MPH faster, etc., etc?

And I've never before used a Connex or whatever removable link. Trying to
clean the chain on the bike just isn't as good as plunking the thing in an
ultrasonic cleaner. What would folks consider a decent link, or are they
really not recommended by the people who know what they're doing?

Thanks for any advice.

Art

Get a kmc 10 speed, a sram 10 speed or the cheapest 10 speed chain
that you can get. In fact, get two, lubricate them both and then put
one on the bike. When that one gets dirty, put the other. then, relube
both and repeat the operation.

Old June 13th 08, 06:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Jun 13, 8:58*am, (Arthur Shapiro) wrote:
In article , Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

but I rec.
Veloce, NOT Record or Chorus.

Care to elaborate? *Purely cost vs. weight issue, or something more subtle.

Art

Chorus & Record are made of Drillium. Both have drilled side plates,
Record has hollow pins as well.

I like the KMC ones that Performance & Nashbar sell cheep as their
house brands. Silver outer plates, black inner plates, just like Campy
chains, currently on sale at Performance for $22. Includes a snaplink.
and shifts as well or better than any other 10-speed chain I've used
(others I've tried include Wipperman 6.2mm & 5.9mm and Veloce UN
5.9mm).

Old June 13th 08, 09:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Arthur Shapiro

Thanks, everyone!

I'm not made of money, to put it mildly, but do enough riding that anything I
spend on the machine is easily justified.

A KMC X10SL is now on order...looks like an interesting product complete with
a removable link. If that doesn't work out to my satisfaction, we'll try
something different or go back to Campy next time.

Art